Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Proximal hamstring pain?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Proximal hamstring pain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 08:38 AM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Proximal hamstring pain?

I've slowly built up my strength, endurance, and speed since March. Last week after a hard ride I developed pain around the sit bone, and hamstring. Anybody deal with this? I'll call my doctor for a PT referral. Did riding cause this? I've got a great fit on my bike (no problems for several seasons). No pain while riding either. I can't swim these days. Swimming fixes pretty much everything for me. I'm wary of going back to swimming at this point. I know water is not an easy virus transmitter, but I'm still being careful.
Old 07-31-20, 01:57 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Does it feel like you're being swatted with a bat just below the sit bones with each step while walking? If so I've been fighting that for two years now. Funny but it doesn't bother me while riding but what has happened is my legs are much weaker and the more I ride the weaker I get. Was doing 50-60 miles with approx 40lbs of weight (I like to tour) earlier in the summer but am down to 30 with cramping/burning by the end. I've had P.T., spinal injections and drugs to no avail. However imaging reveals a congenitally small spinal canal with no space at L5-S1 so unsurprising nothing has worked. Surgery is likely soon. However, every body is different so you're right to see a doctor who most likely will prescribe a regimen of P.T.. It could simply be tight hamstrings and/or glutes. Good Luck.
Likes For 2ering:
Old 07-31-20, 03:40 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Proximal hamstring pain?

I had a tear back in January while running up a 18% trail; I thought after giving up on running for awhile I would just keep riding the bike; fast group rides with lots of climbing aggravate it so I live with it. A sports med Doc suggested a cortisone shot but I am paranoid of these in active muscles considering the potential for catastrophic reinjury; the Doc sent me out for physical therapy where I learned some stretches which give a little short term relief while walking. At 78 I am unwilling to take time off the bike unless the hamstring gets worse than it has been for the last 6 months. I do expect to try to return to trail running as a trial in the next couple weeks.
Likes For fastcarbon:
Old 07-31-20, 04:41 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
My symptoms are a burning pain throughout my hamstring (left leg), and terminating at my sit bone. Morning worst. Was worst sitting down in a chair. Much improved after a couple days rest, but doing a gentle ride tomorrow. I'll still see a doctor asap. So hard to make time!