Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

One more stent added to my collection

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 01-13-20, 11:25 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

As the title says, over the New Years Weekend I had a angiogram done and they added one more stent to my hart collection. I had a 80% blockage with no hart attack. I feel great now, no more chest issues and I’m still sucking air!! Life is good! That makes three stents total with a double bypass. The hardest part is Doctors orders I have to wait a full two weeks before I can get back in the bike. O-well that’s only three more days. For my Xmas present to myself this year was a new Specialized Sirrus SS. Just what any mid 60s guy should be riding, right? 2020 is going to be a good year.

Last edited by tim24k; 01-14-20 at 12:07 AM.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 01-14-20, 04:53 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
I like that attitude! Any goals for that new bike?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 01-14-20, 09:36 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Good to hear that you've gotten through the procedure and are feeling fine.

I'm curious about your recent Sirrus purchase and describing it as what a mid-60s rider should be on. What kind of bike were you riding previously, and did you make the change from a drop bar bike to this flat bar bike? I ask because I'm mid-60s also and about a year and a half ago I sold a very nice Specialized Roubaix and bought a flat bar Giant. Now about 4000 miles later I'm not 100% sold on flat bar bikes. What influenced my decision was persistent shoulder problems that were made worse by riding in a more forward position. But surgery and rehab solved the shoulder issue. Just curious what your motivation was...
Old 01-15-20, 06:37 AM
tim24k

Hello FloridaDave,
I didn’t move to, I more like added to my stable/collection of bikes. I have over 40 bicycles, many different kinds/designs. I have diamond frames, cargo bikes, folding bikes, recumbent bikes, cruisers, mini velos, tandems, hybrid bikes, and one velomobiel I have yet to build. I love them all! I have literally a bicycle for every mood and task. It’s a tuff job being me keeping everything going and loved. I love to tinker on them, figuring out the issues and fixing it. The only exception is no eclectic bikes. Maybe one day when I’m in my 80s but not now.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 01-15-20, 07:47 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Moving to Pills and Ills

Old 01-15-20, 06:09 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
Hello FloridaDave,
I didn’t move to, I more like added to my stable/collection of bikes. I have over 40 bicycles, many different kinds/designs. I have diamond frames, cargo bikes, folding bikes, recumbent bikes, cruisers, mini velos, tandems, hybrid bikes, and one velomobiel I have yet to build. I love them all! I have literally a bicycle for every mood and task. It’s a tuff job being me keeping everything going and loved. I love to tinker on them, figuring out the issues and fixing it. The only exception is no eclectic bikes. Maybe one day when I’m in my 80s but not now.
That's awesome. So you subscribe to the belief that the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n is how many you currently have?

I only have two, would enjoy a stable of at least 4-5 bikes. Being a collector though is taking it to a whole 'nother level. WELL DONE!!
Old 01-27-20, 05:41 AM
tim24k

Originally Posted by FloridaDave
That's awesome. So you subscribe to the belief that the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n is how many you currently have?

I only have two, would enjoy a stable of at least 4-5 bikes. Being a collector though is taking it to a whole 'nother level. WELL DONE!!

I look at it this way, I don’t smoke, drink, gamble, and I’ve been married to the same woman for over forty years . So one has to have some kind of vice. Mine is anything with two or three wheels.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 01-27-20, 07:24 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
The hardest part is Doctors orders I have to wait a full two weeks before I can get back in the bike.
Your doctor probably tells his other patients they should be like you. "Why can't you be like tim24k? He exercises so much I have to tell him to stay off the bike after a procedure."

Glad that went well. Keep on truckin.
Old 01-27-20, 08:09 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
As the title says, over the New Years Weekend I had a angiogram done and they added one more stent to my hart collection. I had a 80% blockage with no hart attack. I feel great now, no more chest issues and I’m still sucking air!! Life is good! That makes three stents total with a double bypass. The hardest part is Doctors orders I have to wait a full two weeks before I can get back in the bike. O-well that’s only three more days. For my Xmas present to myself this year was a new Specialized Sirrus SS. Just what any mid 60s guy should be riding, right? 2020 is going to be a good year.
How many do you have? I have seven in my “collection” and hoping that’s the end.

Maybe we should take a poll and see how many of us ride with stents and who has the most stents (yes I know, I am competitive that way).
Old 01-27-20, 12:36 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Only one stent for me, and no, I don't plan to compete, thank you very much!
Old 01-28-20, 04:12 AM
tim24k

err bottecchia,
As I said in my original post “That makes three stents total with a double bypass.” I’d like to say that’ll be it, but do to my family’s genes I’m sure I’ll be in for yet another tune up down the road. But no worries! I got at lest another hundred thousand miles left in these old bones.😉 Petal on my friends.

Last edited by tim24k; 01-28-20 at 04:18 AM.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 12-19-20, 04:37 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
How many do you have? I have seven in my “collection” and hoping that’s the end.

Maybe we should take a poll and see how many of us ride with stents and who has the most stents (yes I know, I am competitive that way).
(Old thread, I know. But so what?)
I respectfully call your seven and raise you one, to eight. I just received my 7th and 8th. So far, my cardio (who I sought out due to his experience with athletes) hasn't told me to stop riding, although he did say I probably shouldn't compete. In a previous century (not saying which one) I raced Cat. 2 a few years so fortunately I've got that out of my system.
But a time trial might be fun...
Old 12-28-20, 04:27 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
(Old thread, I know. But so what?)
I respectfully call your seven and raise you one, to eight. I just received my 7th and 8th. So far, my cardio (who I sought out due to his experience with athletes) hasn't told me to stop riding, although he did say I probably shouldn't compete. In a previous century (not saying which one) I raced Cat. 2 a few years so fortunately I've got that out of my system.
But a time trial might be fun...
OK, OK, you win this “competition.” All of recents check-ups and tests have come back A-OK. The cardio told me, however, that given my the condition of my arteries, the next round will of medical intervention will involve a heart transplant.

Due to a number of reasons, including the Covid situation and a broken left thumb resulting from a dog attack, I have not been riding as much this year as in past years. Thank God for Zwift and my WaterRower machine.

I am staying in good shape, exercising as much as I can and eating well. If I need a new ticker, so be it. Riding is my passion, I need to keep on riding until the proverbial wheels off.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia: