Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Late 80s Tommaso with NOS Sachs 5000 group

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 02-08-21, 05:17 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts

I can't pin down the exact year because apparently Tommaso did not do model years. NOS 8 speed Sachs 5000 group with NOS Sachs Maillard hubs.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 02-08-21 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 04:10 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
What size is it ?
Old 02-09-21, 05:36 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
what size is it ?
Old 02-09-21, 10:23 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Very very clean machine from the early 90’s actually withan 8 speed cluster - if it was Sachs itwas probably still a freewheel

enthusiast level Cromor frame looks in great condition. The whole bike looks like it was just pulled out of a box

id say $500 - based solely on condition. Sachs 500 is the rough equivalentof tri color Shimano (New Success wasthe top level group) and Tomasso (Bill Semonian) had a weird business model - kinda like Bikes Direct before there was a BikesDirect.

A year or 2 ago, there was some dealership selling Ironmans in the box for 7or 800 IIRC, so maybe you could price this like that and see what happens,

almost worth more tokeep as a rider than to sell

Last edited by DMC707; 02-09-21 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-09-21, 11:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by DMC707
Very very clean machine from the early 90’s actually withan 8 speed cluster - if it was Sachs itwas probably still a freewheel

enthusiast level Cromor frame looks in great condition. The whole bike looks like it was just pulled out of a box

id say $500 - based solely on condition. Sachs 500 is the rough equivalentof tri color Shimano (New Success wasthe top level group) and Tomasso (Bill Semonian) had a weird business model - kinda like Bikes Direct before there was a BikesDirect.

A year or 2 ago, there was some dealership selling Ironmans in the box for 7or 800 IIRC, so maybe you could price this like that and see what happens,

Thanks. I don't think it was originally an 8 speed. Dropouts are 126. It was purchased as a frame set by my customer who sent it to me to have the wheels built. He also sourced the group set separately. He is thinking about selling it, so I offered to put the feelers out for him on what would be a reasonable price.
As all components are NOS I expect it would be valued at the high end of the range.
The hub is freewheel.
Old 02-09-21, 01:26 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Thanks. I don't think it was originally an 8 speed. Dropouts are 126. It was purchased as a frame set by my customer who sent it to me to have the wheels built. He also sourced the group set separately. He is thinking about selling it, so I offered to put the feelers out for him on what would be a reasonable price.
As all components are NOS I expect it would be valued at the high end of the range.
The hub is freewheel.

could very well be a slightly older frameset than the group for sure then - not much though , likely exactly as you surmised’ late 80’s. I was thinking 92 or 93 as thats when Sachs really seemed to be making progress in competing with other companies.

- No matter, - everything looks like it plays well together
Old 02-09-21, 01:42 PM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
That's a very sellable size. I have to agree, that bike is worth $500.00 USD. I'm not sure what it comes to in CDN. It's a house brand for Ten Speed Drive Imports owned at the time by Tom Eason. They were built by Billato in Italy and painted here. The name is a play on his first name, as was the clothing line was as well.

TT measurement C to C?

Last edited by nomadmax; 02-09-21 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 07:19 PM
Dan Burkhart 

TT measurement C to C?
I measure it at 55.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 02-10-21, 06:40 AM
nomadmax 

Bill Semonian (who changed his name to Bill McGann) founded Torelli Imports and wasn't associated with Ten Speed Drive Imports or Tommaso bicycles. TDSI was founded and owned by Tom Eason of Florida until he eventually ran it into the ground. As mentioned, the name Tommaso is Italian wordplay on Eason's first name.
Old 02-10-21, 08:26 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Probably 1989 or later, since Columbus changed the the tubing name from "Matrix" to "Cromor" in '89.

I have a similarly aged TSD Battaglin which is also Cromor. Very good rider.

You might have to be patient to get $500, since both the frame and group aren't household names.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 02-10-21, 10:35 AM
DMC707

Bill Semonian (who changed his name to Bill McGann) founded Torelli Imports and wasn't associated with Ten Speed Drive Imports or Tommaso bicycles. TDSI was founded and owned by Tom Eason of Florida until he eventually ran it into the ground. As mentioned, the name Tommaso is Italian wordplay on Eason's first name.

i had my Pseudo Italian a-holes mixed up! 😂😂😂.

Do you know if the Tommaso frames were built in Italy at least or was it another Torelli smoke n mirrors show? But i would honestly have ridden either with pride back in the nineties.
Old 02-10-21, 01:13 PM
nomadmax 

i had my Pseudo Italian a-holes mixed up! 😂😂😂.

Do you know if the Tommaso frames were built in Italy at least or was it another Torelli smoke n mirrors show? But i would honestly have ridden either with pride back in the nineties.
Happens to me all the time. I mean it

Yes Tommaso frames were made in Italy by a company called Billato. The bike in this thread is very nice example of a TSDI frame/bike. What's worse, it's my size.

Billato BIKES
Old 02-10-21, 04:50 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Billato built bikes are very nice. I own a couple including a Tommaso. Tommaso bikes were also built with SLX, SL, TLX, TSX steel. Yours is CROMOR which would fall below those. $500 might be optimistic.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 02-10-21, 11:31 PM
DMC707

Happens to me all the time. I mean it

Yes Tommaso frames were made in Italy by a company called Billato. The bike in this thread is very nice example of a TSDI frame/bike. What's worse, it's my size.

Billato BIKES

Tommasso was doing it right then (or trying to). Billato is highly regarded by many!
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-11-21, 02:53 AM
nomadmax 

Tommasso was doing it right then (or trying to). Billato is highly regarded by many!
By me for sure This is also a Billato and one of my favorite bikes.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 02-11-21, 06:52 AM
DMC707

By me for sure This is also a Billato and one of my favorite bikes.

Sorry for the thread drift.

i dont see much of a drift, as more info gives the OP , Dan, a little more information inhelping sell this rig,

A moderately knowledgable potential buyer may not know much about the Tommasso name, but if its from the same shop that builds Gooch, early Lemonds, Marin’s steel road frames, and many more ——- Might give that person more peace of mind or buyer satisfaction
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-11-21, 08:08 AM
Dan Burkhart 

i dont see much of a drift, as more info gives the OP , Dan, a little more information inhelping sell this rig,

A moderately knowledgable potential buyer may not know much about the Tommasso name, but if its from the same shop that builds Gooch, early Lemonds, Marin’s steel road frames, and many more ——- Might give that person more peace of mind or buyer satisfaction
The bike is not mine to sell, but it is currently in my custody. Just trying to get a sense of it's value to assist the owner. You all have been a great help, thank you.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 02-16-21, 09:42 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
If it were mine to sell, I’d sell off the groupset, wheels and frame separately.
It is all in nice shape, but you could likely garner a higher sum selling separately.

groupset: $350-400
wheelset: $150-250
Frameset: $200 ish?
ancillaries (bars, stem, saddle, etc): $50-75

just some initial thoughts.

the Sachs group on its own is cool, even if it is not their top end. The NOS aspect adds value IMO
Likes For canyoneagle: