Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Checkpoint Gravel Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek Checkpoint Gravel Bike

Old 03-01-21, 04:11 PM
prspect06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://imgur.com/pVr5hoY

I have a 2020 Checkpoint SL6 with the same issue. I have the R8000 Ultegra crank that came with it stock and there is very little clearance (maybe 1 mm) between the bottom bracket area and the crank. It appears that dirt is getting wedged in this tight space and scratching the frame when turning the cranks.
Old 03-01-21, 06:36 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prspect06
https://imgur.com/pVr5hoY

I have a 2020 Checkpoint SL6 with the same issue. I have the R8000 Ultegra crank that came with it stock and there is very little clearance (maybe 1 mm) between the bottom bracket area and the crank. It appears that dirt is getting wedged in this tight space and scratching the frame when turning the cranks.
Just as a thought--can you put a clear sticker there to protect it? I ended up buying Ride Wrap for my bike, though the Force cranks on my SL7 have a few min of clearance (enough for a Garmin cadence sensor to fit between with some clearance to boot). Then at least you've got some protection.
Old 07-17-22, 07:37 PM
Jenko

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2019 SL5 and also the same tight clearance at the crankarm. No damage yet but see how it could happen. I rode on the C&O / GAP trail from DC to Pittsburg which have a lot of dirt and packed limestone that could get between the crankarm and the frame. There was one muddy day with steady rain but I also had fenders, so maybe they reduced the chances of getting debris between there. I agree that the 105/Ultegra cranksets these bikes were fitted with were a bad choice and am surprised that people have not had this occur even on road bikes. At $2800 and up for these bikes from a reputable company like Trek, they should replace anyone's damaged frame and should recall all bikes to replace the road style cranks with GRX cranks!! That should make everyone happy, well maybe except Trek!
Old 07-18-22, 07:23 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
Add a fender to that fancy smancy bike.
Old 07-18-22, 10:25 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I have a 2022 Checkpoint SL 5 but mine, unlike the photos in this thread, has GRX components. I have had no issues with gravel getting stuck anywhere between any of the bike parts. I like the bike a lot. It rides very nicely. I've had six Trek bikes over the past twenty years and have like them all. I'm especially pleased with my latest two, the new Checkpoint and my 2017 Domane.