Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had bunion surgery? How did it go?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone had bunion surgery? How did it go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 07:54 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I looked up on wiki if what I have is really a bunion and found I have (outgrowth on the big toe joint), only mine doesn't change the way the big toe is pointing, or more precisely, both my big toes are oriented the same way - inward towards the next toe to them. Just like in the picture I copied from wiki, the left example, except I am male, so high heels are not the cause.
It does sound like you have a bunion when your big toe points inward towards the 2nd toe. It can happen to just one feet or both.

There are different types of bunions and the specific medical term are as follow:
  • Impacts Big Toe = Hallux Valgus
  • Impacts Little Toe = Tailor's Bunion or Bunionettes

For most medical information, I typically get information from the Mayo Clinic's website. It is a reliable and reputable source.

Mayo Clinic's Description of Hallux Valgus (Big Toe Bunion)

There are a lot of reasons why someone gets a bunion but typically when the foot is stressed due to shoes being too tight (as in rock climbing), stressing the arches of the foot (women wearing high heels), or general stress from daily motion. I think my bunion was caused due to the combination of tight shoes (rock climbing) and hiking 500 miles in one go on the Camino such that the arch on my left foot may have collapsed as my trail runner started wearing out. I should have known better and gotten good solid ARCH support before my trip. Lesson learned! Now, I wear Birkenstocks as my daily shoes because the solid support of the cork heel and arches really helps support my feet. Also, it provides freedom to my toes and they are not pinched in by a closed toe box. I also put solid arch support in all my shoes especially my running shoes.

I cannot STRESS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO FIND PREVENTATIVE SOLUTIONS for your feet when you start to feel any pain or inflammation. Do not ignore the pain as it is your body telling you to do something quick. Otherwise, the distortion of the feet will continue to move towards the inner toes.

Here is a YouTube video on Bunion Reversal that is fairly helpful. The key is you want to strengthen your feet muscles and breakup trigger points.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-27-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 12:52 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I have a fairly hard, perhaps a bony growth, a bulge where I made the circle on the big joint. I can't quite fully stand on toes on the right foot because of that (would be a problem for ballet dancing ) and also need roomier right shoe in the place where I have drawn the line, but it doesn't cause any particular pain. My bike rides are normally one hour or an hour and a half long and that's OK. I make it a point to run at home barefoot or in socks for decades now and again have to say, I consider myself fortunate as it is. I might consider these toe spreaders since all my toes are bunched up on both feet but doubt it would correct it.

Old 02-28-21, 05:11 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I had a bunion removed on my right big toe in 2000. The bunion caused a lot of pain and made walking difficult. Two years later it was back and I ended up with a partial big toe replacement joint and the bone below the toe cut, repositioned and two screws in it to hold in place while it healed. No issues with that toe since. I now have a large bunion on my left big toe, it does not hurt unless I do a lot of walking, no issue on cycling but does get a little sore after long rides. I'm going to try the toe separators mentioned above and see if they help. Last saw the podiatrist two years ago and he recommended not doing surgery on it until it interferes with walking.

Two surgeries on my right foot, bunion and mis-shaped toe of my left. I long ago gave up on my plan to become a foot model. My feet look like they belong on something grabbing fish out of a lake. 😂

Last edited by KenCT; 02-28-21 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 06:39 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
I've had a significant bunion on my right foot for about 15 years, and it's become more painful when riding over the last couple of years. After about 1.5-2 hours, it's painful enough for me to need to remove my shoe and massage the joint to get some relief - I'm not sure if it's nerve pain or limited blood circulation that is causing the pain. I'm normally OK after about 5 minutes and can carry on for another hour before repeating the process.

I bought the widest shoes in my LBS - Northwave Extreme, and had them use a shoe-stretcher to try to make a bit more room for the bunion.

I have thought about finding wider shoes, or even have a custom shoe made, but wonder whether the bunion will change/grow with age and render this worthless.

I've started looking into surgical options, but there does appear to be a pretty long recovery period and considerable discomfort. I would put up for a few weeks of limited mobility and a few months of recovery time if the end result was pain-free cycling for the remainder of my active years.

Has anyone had bunion surgery, and has it solved your problems with foot pain while cycling? Did it improve day to day mobility or walking extended distances?

Thanks for any feedback!
Check out bikebug. They do wide fit lake and bont road shoes

I'd offer to let you try on mine but I'm in WA
Old 02-28-21, 10:58 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
In the old days when shoes were made with leather, you could shape it to gain some additional space by inserting some block in the shoe and wetting it... I have this bulge on the right foot, big toe joint bulging up and a bit to the left but I am ok with shoes that are wider in the front area, right where the shoelaces typically end.

At 60+ and reading here how onerous the surgery is, I can definitely live with it, put up with some discomfort at times. It is not even something people would notice right away when walking barefoot in summer. I think I got it from the days of cross country skiing shoes when 15-30 yrs old. But why it should affect just the right foot and not the other one, probably because as a typical right handed person, I ten to put more load on my right leg more than the left one.
A leg-length difference can also contribute to it, I've been told. I have one leg about 5mm longer than the other (quite common), and it causes one foot to "pronate" to try to equalize the length when walking, Apparently, this unqual pressure on the big toe can lead to a bunion.

I got orthotics made up much later in life which improves my foot support and corrects the length difference, but sadly, the damage is done.
Old 03-02-21, 10:36 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Pic of my shoe slice. This was my first attempt ever, which is why I even have a pic (from years ago). This was on the second day of a 4 month bike tour and it was an immediate relief. Rain isn't a big deal for me and I find shoe covers onerous. Hope this helps, even if it's just a temporary solution while you mull your options. Good luck to you.