Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indoor Exercise Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indoor Exercise Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 10:39 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by gracenewey
I have and it just doesn’t do anything. Do you have the same bike?
No, but i did google search for images of the display unit itself. Can you provide many good useable pictures of the unit you have?
Old 03-05-21, 08:14 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by danh123
I do have outdoor bikes. I tried a trainer (magoura 850?") that someone gave me. The plate used for resistance was bent so I just took it out and tried it with the one resistance. I wasn't a big fan of it from that limited experience.

I know it is going to be boring and I planned to ride outdoors year round but I just couldn't do it. I don't normally watch tv/movies or listen to music that much so I will use indoor bike time for that and just get through it. It is really for really bad weather days when I can't go run or ride outside.

I am thinking of this one it is only $170 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...+exercise+bike

It seems like a good way to try it out for pretty cheap.

There are other options at 300, 500, 800, 1000, 2000 etc.

Seems like as price goes up you get belt drive, magnetic resistance, better build, screens, etc.

Would magnetic resistance vs the felt pad make a big difference in feeling like riding a bike outdoors?
That one looks pretty good for the price. I bought a different one a few months ago, but lots of people like that brand. I wanted something to keep in front of a tv that multiple family members could use. Mine has lots of adjustments for fit and they are numbered. Mine is magnetic resistance and it seems to work fine, can’t compare to felt pad as I’ve never had one.
Old 07-08-21, 12:15 AM
gadgetgram
Gadgetgram

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Echelon Connect Bike EX-5s is a smart exercise bike for indoors use that comes equipped with a 22” HD Rotating Screen, an Ergo-Adjust Resistance Knob with 32 levels of magnetic resistance, a 6” Fore/Aft Seat Lever and a Seat Height Adjustment Lever for adjusting the bike's seat position and height, a set of Adjustable Toe Cages on its pedals, and 2 Power Ports for charging your devices while working out. And those are just a few of the many new and improved features that this smart indoors exercise bike has to offer to enhance your performance.

Coming designed for maximum comfort, smooth functionality and total immersion, this smart exercise bike is one of the most versatile smart indoor bikes you can currently find available. With it, you can greatly broaden your fitness horizons and transform all of your workouts at home to ultimately overcome any barrier.

Now, without any further ado, let's have a more detailed look at this smart exercise bike and check out everything that the Echelon Connect Bike EX-5s has to offer you.

if you want to know more visit: Gadgetgram

Old 07-08-21, 07:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I’ve found smart trainers to be a game changer for indoor training. I’ve been through various cheap and some very expensive exercise bikes over the years, but only a smart direct drive trainer has really worked for me. I use Zwift, Rouvy and Sufferfest for indoor training and those apps all make it fun and very productive. I’ve never been stronger out on the road since going down this route. I now consistently do a lot of indoor training all year round. No way that would have been tolerable before.

On a budget I would recommend getting a smart wheel-on trainer to use with your bike and try a few of the popular cycling Apps. It would be infinitely more fun than the cheapo spin bike you linked to earlier. I guarantee that would be gathering dust within a couple of months.
Old 07-08-21, 07:52 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Not a fan on turn a knob resistance trainer. Found them to crease a boring ride. Peloton had to add a auto resistance mode to their new Bike+. Because people where not turning the knob. A smart trainer is more interactive.
Old 07-08-21, 08:16 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Not a fan on turn a knob resistance trainer. Found them to crease a boring ride. Peloton had to add a auto resistance mode to their new Bike+. Because people where not turning the knob. A smart trainer is more interactive.
what does " crease a boring ride mean"? I turn the knob on my spin bike all the time. Stages has a one touch resistance trainer.
Old 07-08-21, 12:19 PM
Ed Wiser

Turning the knob is not in any way as good as a smart trainer and cycling app. As a long time indoor rider. I used a knob bike 30 years ago then a set of rollers the. Turbo trainer then smart trainer then smart bike. I ride 1.5 to 2 hour rides now and enjoy them. Did enjoy turning the knob back then but that was all we had.
Old 07-08-21, 02:01 PM
PeteHski

Turning the knob is not in any way as good as a smart trainer and cycling app. As a long time indoor rider. I used a knob bike 30 years ago then a set of rollers the. Turbo trainer then smart trainer then smart bike. I ride 1.5 to 2 hour rides now and enjoy them. Did enjoy turning the knob back then but that was all we had.
I agree with this. Smart trainers allow accurate simulation of road gradients and controlled power output independent of cadence (ERG mode). Both of which are extremely useful and a big step forward from the traditional dumb resistance knob.
Old 07-15-21, 05:55 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by patrickwise
I am using peloton bike, It is arguably one of the most unique and advanced indoor cycling bikes today. Its ability to combine regular indoor bike exercise and technology makes it different from other exercise bikes. It is common for Peloton bike users to complain about the hard bike seat, but this can be avoided by using a seat cushion.
I wouldn't say it's one of the more advanced indoor bikes. Only the plus version has auto-resistance control for a start. But it does look like a good option for a non-cyclist looking for a slick one-stop exercise solution. But if cycling is the main objective then a smart trainer + bike or smart bike is the best option. Wahoo, Tacx, Stages, Elite etc. and your cycling software of choice e.g. Zwift, Rouvy, Bkool etc.
Old 07-15-21, 06:49 AM
Ed Wiser

My cousin bought a peloton bike + last year. An I have the wahoo Kickr bike. So I have ridden both units. If you are a regular bike rider the Kickr bike will be a more natural fit. Having brake hoods and shift with levers is just so natural. The peloton is set up like a normal spin bike the handlebars are no where near like a normal bike. The “Smart” part is for use in classes the require it. Nothing like riding on Rouvy or Zwift. It’s built to do workouts and not to simulate riding outdoors. Doing ERG mode workouts every time you get on the bike gets old after awhile. You need to be able to free ride to see how your efforts are doing.
Old 07-15-21, 07:29 AM
Bowie Beattie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe a real one?
Old 07-15-21, 07:37 AM
Ed Wiser

Originally Posted by Bowie Beattie
maybe a real one?
I real what?
Old 07-15-21, 02:35 PM
PeteHski

My cousin bought a peloton bike + last year. An I have the wahoo Kickr bike. So I have ridden both units. If you are a regular bike rider the Kickr bike will be a more natural fit. Having brake hoods and shift with levers is just so natural. The peloton is set up like a normal spin bike the handlebars are no where near like a normal bike. The “Smart” part is for use in classes the require it. Nothing like riding on Rouvy or Zwift. It’s built to do workouts and not to simulate riding outdoors. Doing ERG mode workouts every time you get on the bike gets old after awhile. You need to be able to free ride to see how your efforts are doing.
I totally agree. Peloton doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it would be good for someone who just wants to do interactive spin classes.

I have an Elite Direto X direct drive trainer and use Zwift & Rouvy for sims and Sufferfest for structured ERG workouts. Kickr bike looks really good. I might go down that route at some point rather than use my outdoor bike.
Old 07-15-21, 02:50 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts

2 years ago I picked up an older used Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer for $90. Added Kurt Kinetic's iNRide sensor for $50, has Bluetooth and Ant+. Use their app to calibrate, then connect to Zwift. I have a bike permanently on the trainer. Built my own table from a thrift store walker and scrap wood. Added a newer video card to an older free PC, added Ant+ and Bluetooth dongles. Boom. Half Smart trainer on the cheap. I do use a 50" TV for the monitor, but only because we bought a bigger TV for the living room.
Old 07-15-21, 02:52 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I have a Peloton that I've had for a few years now. Currently I would prefer a Zwift setup, but there are great classes that contribute to your cycling fitness to be taken on the Peloton.

There are a few "Pro Cycling" classes by Christian Vande Velde that are great for building up fitness. Also there are other FTP zone based rides that really help with base fitness. Sure, a 90 minute spin class alternating between FTP Zone 2 and 3 isn't exciting, but it really pays off to get them under your belt especially early in the season.
Old 07-15-21, 02:55 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickwise
I am using peloton bike, It is arguably one of the most unique and advanced indoor cycling bikes today. Its ability to combine regular indoor bike exercise and technology makes it different from other exercise bikes. It is common for Peloton bike users to complain about the hard bike seat, but this can be avoided by using a seat cushion.
It's not "most unique" (there's no hierarchy of unique) nor even unique. It's also not more advanced than many other exercise bikes. Any smart trainer (yes, it's not technically a complete bike but it's not like bikes are impossible to find) has lots of technology. A Peloton isn't more advanced than, say, a Wahoo Kickr Bike.
Old 07-15-21, 04:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog

2 years ago I picked up an older used Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer for $90. Added Kurt Kinetic's iNRide sensor for $50, has Bluetooth and Ant+. Use their app to calibrate, then connect to Zwift. I have a bike permanently on the trainer. Built my own table from a thrift store walker and scrap wood. Added a newer video card to an older free PC, added Ant+ and Bluetooth dongles. Boom. Half Smart trainer on the cheap. I do use a 50" TV for the monitor, but only because we bought a bigger TV for the living room.
I have a similar set up. Works great.

And this may just be semantics, but I think when most people use the term "smart trainer" they mean one that can be controlled by software to alter the resistance. This setup increases resistance by speed and transmits an estimated power and cadence to the app, but it doesn't have any means of reacting to the software.
Old 07-15-21, 10:45 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have a similar set up. Works great.

And this may just be semantics, but I think when most people use the term "smart trainer" they mean one that can be controlled by software to alter the resistance. This setup increases resistance by speed and transmits an estimated power and cadence to the app, but it doesn't have any means of reacting to the software.

No worries over semantics. That is why I call it "HALF smart Trainer". As it provides power output data, but doesn't control resistance.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 07-16-21, 02:15 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by caloso

And this may just be semantics, but I think when most people use the term "smart trainer" they mean one that can be controlled by software to alter the resistance.
I think the software resistance control is what makes the cycling sims like Zwift and Rouvy really come alive. So I would urge the OP to get a Smart trainer, ideally direct drive too if budget allows. Although some of the wheel-on models seem pretty reasonable if budget is really tight.
Likes For PeteHski: