Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 08:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by HybridinMI
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone moved to a suspension seat post? If so, which did you choose, and would you recommend it?

Thanks!
Pros: It's like riding a pogo stick. If you are into that sort of thing.

Cons: It's like riding a pogo stick. It robs you of efficiency. It changes your riding position relative to your pedals, hundreds of times per ride. They are heavy.
Old 03-03-21, 10:17 AM
davela72

Bikes: 2020 Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I recently stumbled across this thread as I recently picked up a new 2020 X 5.0 in the sage green. It was hard to believe the shop still had this bike from last year. They cut me a bit of a break on the price and I pulled the trigger.

While there, I discussed the option of getting both brakes converted to the right side. I have a brachial plexus condition from birth leaving little use in my left arm/hand. With this, I couldn't operate the front brake lever. The bike shop recommended I take a look at Hope as they make such a brake lever. My journey started there and what an adventure it was trying to locate the parts and get everything installed. After multiple emails, phone calls, etc., I had everything I needed, or so I thought.

The Hope Tech3Duo lever came as a kit with the E4 calipers which are post mount and I had failed to realize the bike has flat mount calipers. The front could have worked with adapters but there was no way the rear caliper was going to fit that frame. After more research, I discovered that Hope does indeed make a flat mount X2 road caliper. I talked to Hope and they told me they had them in stock and to have my local bike shop give them a call and they'd get them on the way. These bolted up with ease although I still needed the correct flat mount adapters but no big deal.

I've made a few more changes such as adding some Nukeproof 700mm bars with a 25mm rise along with Hope bar ends and some Ergon grips. I purchased some nice aluminum spacers (The Bike Sauce) for the future shock to raise it up a bit as well.

I'll try to get my post count up so I can post some pics.
Likes For davela72:
Old 03-03-21, 08:06 PM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davela72
I recently stumbled across this thread as I recently picked up a new 2020 X 5.0 in the sage green. It was hard to believe the shop still had this bike from last year. They cut me a bit of a break on the price and I pulled the trigger.

While there, I discussed the option of getting both brakes converted to the right side. I have a brachial plexus condition from birth leaving little use in my left arm/hand. With this, I couldn't operate the front brake lever. The bike shop recommended I take a look at Hope as they make such a brake lever. My journey started there and what an adventure it was trying to locate the parts and get everything installed. After multiple emails, phone calls, etc., I had everything I needed, or so I thought.

The Hope Tech3Duo lever came as a kit with the E4 calipers which are post mount and I had failed to realize the bike has flat mount calipers. The front could have worked with adapters but there was no way the rear caliper was going to fit that frame. After more research, I discovered that Hope does indeed make a flat mount X2 road caliper. I talked to Hope and they told me they had them in stock and to have my local bike shop give them a call and they'd get them on the way. These bolted up with ease although I still needed the correct flat mount adapters but no big deal.

I've made a few more changes such as adding some Nukeproof 700mm bars with a 25mm rise along with Hope bar ends and some Ergon grips. I purchased some nice aluminum spacers (The Bike Sauce) for the future shock to raise it up a bit as well.

Good choice on the bike! If you aren't already aware, be sure that the shop completed the inspection/re-torque on the crank assembly - the left crank arm can come loose and the arm fall off the spindle. This happened on my bike (2020 X5.0, but not my girlfriend's 2020 X4.0 that I purchased at the same time). Even afterwards, I frequently check the torque on the bolts on all my bikes to preclude any further issues. Here's a link for you that identifies the issue: Specialized crank arm
Old 03-03-21, 08:50 PM
davela72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skiddz
Good choice on the bike! If you aren't already aware, be sure that the shop completed the inspection/re-torque on the crank assembly - the left crank arm can come loose and the arm fall off the spindle. This happened on my bike (2020 X5.0, but not my girlfriend's 2020 X4.0 that I purchased at the same time). Even afterwards, I frequently check the torque on the bolts on all my bikes to preclude any further issues.
Thanks for the heads up although I do remember reading about that at one point. I didn't ask the shop but I'm pretty sure it was done as there is a white dot on the crank arm.

I've actually been looking into replacing the crankset altogether, I just can't make up my mind yet on what to get.
Old 03-05-21, 08:18 AM
davela72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
From my research, there are quite a few different options for cranksets out there but I've been looking at the GRX-810. My only question is the compatibility of the GRX crankset and the SLX rear derailleur. They may work perfectly together but I'd like to be certain before making any purchases. I've been out of the bike game for a while so trying to catch up lately. I've read through a good bit of this thread and didn't see anyone using this set up, hence the question.
Old 03-05-21, 11:09 AM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by davela72

A sage green is sitting at my bike shop in my size but I was hoping for a 2021. No hurry, I have a bike to ride.
Old 03-13-21, 08:28 PM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Today I Learned...

In proper ****** form: TIL My bike makes a funny sound when the tires need air.

So a couple of months ago, I was doing my regular ride loop, but, while going around corners my bike would make a funny sound. My route is on local streets and I have four cul-du-sacs that I turn around in. When ever I made these turns my bike would make a sound like something was rubbing against something. Tire against frame or fork, disk brake against caliper, I had no idea. And I could not diagnose it back in the garage.

I was one ride away from taking the bike to my LBS until I had the bright idea of inflating the tires back to my desired pressure. Once I did this the noise went away. Keep in mind, I've never had a bike spec'ed out like my Sirrus X 2.0, but, it never would have occurred to me that a slightly under inflated tire might cause such a strange noise.

Fast forward a month or so and the noise returns. But this time, rather than waiting and fretting about it, I grabbed my pump and re-inflated both tires. Noise silenced.

So I put it to the forum:
First, has anyone experienced this: noisy under inflated tires?
Second, what is your indicator that your tires need air? Or do you just pump them up before every ride or at some regular interval?
And lastly, what did you learn today about bicycling, your own bike, or life in general?

Edit: spelling.
Old 03-22-21, 01:53 PM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'd like to replace the stock 350mm seat post. The one I'm looking at is offered in 330mm or 380mm. Which would I choose?
Old 03-22-21, 06:55 PM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoffNA
I'd like to replace the stock 350mm seat post. The one I'm looking at is offered in 330mm or 380mm. Which would I choose?
I'd get 380
Old 03-22-21, 07:06 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
The primary risk of a longer seat post is it won't be able to slide far enough into the frame to accommodate your preferred seat height. Bottle cage mounts can interfere. If you can slide your current one an additional 30mm or more into the frame, then you should be good with the 380mm model.
Old 03-23-21, 06:13 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Measure from rails to top of frame (not seatpost collar) and add 3" for minimum insert; this is the minimum length of seatpost you need. For flexibility one can add 1/2"-1" for saddle height variability and chop off the rest.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 03-23-21, 06:51 AM
GeoffNA

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Measure from rails to top of frame (not seatpost collar) and add 3" for minimum insert; this is the minimum length of seatpost you need. For flexibility one can add 1/2"-1" for saddle height variability and chop off the rest.

Thanks. I'm a noob. Do you mean rails on the bottom of the saddle? For reference, I have a Sirrus X 5.0.
Old 03-23-21, 06:56 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Do you mean rails on the bottom of the saddle?
That's right, measure from the centerline of the rails to the top of the frame (not the collar)
Old 03-23-21, 08:30 AM
GeoffNA

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That's right, measure from the centerline of the rails to the top of the frame (not the collar)
Thanks very much. I think the 380mm is the way to go.
Old 03-27-21, 05:28 AM
Mackowski

Bikes: Giant Escape 2, FELT QX75, Trek Marlin 8

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Advice

Hi All
I hope I'm in the right place. I'm an amateur cyclist and in need to upgrade my very tired Felt QX75. Always wanted Specialized bike and now looking at purchasing Sirrus 2.0. Bike will be used for daily commute (5 miles) and afternoon/weekend recreational ride. I have many questions but I'll start with this:
- Sirrus 2.0 or 3.0? - money unfortunately is an issue, going for 3.0 will mean that I'd have to wait another couple of months but is 3.0 really worth it?
- have any of you ever found 2x8 gearing too slow? I've read some reviews saying that going faster than 15mph is a real effort on Sirrus?
Thank you
All the best
Mack
Old 03-27-21, 07:30 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackowski
Hi All
I hope I'm in the right place. I'm an amateur cyclist and in need to upgrade my very tired Felt QX75. Always wanted Specialized bike and now looking at purchasing Sirrus 2.0. Bike will be used for daily commute (5 miles) and afternoon/weekend recreational ride. I have many questions but I'll start with this:
- Sirrus 2.0 or 3.0? - money unfortunately is an issue, going for 3.0 will mean that I'd have to wait another couple of months but is 3.0 really worth it?
- have any of you ever found 2x8 gearing too slow? I've read some reviews saying that going faster than 15mph is a real effort on Sirrus?
Thank you
All the best
Mack
In most cases, unless the bikes have significantly different gearing, or one is very much heavier, the speed is determined by the fitness of the rider. Can't see that going over 15mph would be difficult on either. For your usage, I think either bike would suit your needs. Is the price difference worth it? To me, it would be. But my budget may be different than yours, so you will need to judge.. Have you considered purchasing a used bike? With covid receding (in many areas), and people getting back to work, with less time to ride, or find they bought a bike that doesn't suit them, I'm expecting to see an increase in the availability of used bikes. Hasn't happened here yet, but I'm keeping watch for a good bargain. Don't need another, but we know that N+1 is the correct number of bikes!
Old 03-27-21, 07:52 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi All
Thank you
All the best
Mack
While I agree with FreeRanger, I think there's more to the answer to your question.
Yes, as Covid recedes, there will likely be used bikes coming up for sale, but I think it's going to be a while as other newer riders come to find out that they want a bike too and are now just realizing that the new bike market is pretty tough. So the fight for used bikes is going to get more intense. Which also means prices for used bikes will be inflated.
Further, I have read that some manufacturers are done taking/filling 2021 orders and won't be taking 2022 orders for several more months.
All this is to say that your decision needs to be based less in "which is better" and more in "which can I get the soonest."
Are you able to find a store or stores that have the two models and the sizes you're looking for? (Size is important)
In my very lucky search, I wound up buying from a store about 90 minutes from my home. While I was willing to wait, I wasn't going to sleep on an opportunity.
I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Old 03-27-21, 07:55 AM
Mackowski

Originally Posted by freeranger
In most cases, unless the bikes have significantly different gearing, or one is very much heavier, the speed is determined by the fitness of the rider. Can't see that going over 15mph would be difficult on either. For your usage, I think either bike would suit your needs. Is the price difference worth it? To me, it would be. But my budget may be different than yours, so you will need to judge.. Have you considered purchasing a used bike? With covid receding (in many areas), and people getting back to work, with less time to ride, or find they bought a bike that doesn't suit them, I'm expecting to see an increase in the availability of used bikes. Hasn't happened here yet, but I'm keeping watch for a good bargain. Don't need another, but we know that N+1 is the correct number of bikes!
Thank you for your reply.
Good point about about speed, was pretty sure the gearing won't be an issue just after reading the reviews wanted to double check.
I'm sure I can get better spec bike if I go second hand and I do keep an eye on Ebay etc. Part of me want a brand new one as never had one before and also really don't want to buy a stolen bike and have it seized on my first commute.

If I may, I have another question.
Aluminium fork vs carbon fork.
If I got this right, carbon fork due to reduced weight, improves the ride - comfort, maneuverability etc
What about strength of a carbon fork. Will it get damaged easier? As the roads I have to use each day are far from smooth and in really bad state in places.
Mack
Old 03-27-21, 08:54 AM
Mackowski

Originally Posted by ArneDarvin
While I agree with FreeRanger, I think there's more to the answer to your question.
Yes, as Covid recedes, there will likely be used bikes coming up for sale, but I think it's going to be a while as other newer riders come to find out that they want a bike too and are now just realizing that the new bike market is pretty tough. So the fight for used bikes is going to get more intense. Which also means prices for used bikes will be inflated.
Further, I have read that some manufacturers are done taking/filling 2021 orders and won't be taking 2022 orders for several more months.
All this is to say that your decision needs to be based less in "which is better" and more in "which can I get the soonest."
Are you able to find a store or stores that have the two models and the sizes you're looking for? (Size is important)
In my very lucky search, I wound up buying from a store about 90 minutes from my home. While I was willing to wait, I wasn't going to sleep on an opportunity.
I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Good point, thank you.
I'm still able to find both models online. Might go for 2.0 and maybe upgrade again in 2-3 years time.
Thank you
Mack
Old 03-29-21, 10:59 PM
GeoffNA

Bought an S-Works Carbon seat post (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...tpost/p/156750) for my X 5.0 and the Body Geometry Power saddle doesn't seem to fit. Rails aren't wide enough.

I plan on getting a another saddle, but wanted to install the post. Am I missing something? Are these not compatible?
Old 03-30-21, 06:30 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I bought the available Sirrus 3.0 last August and have put over 1300 miles on it so far. I love the bike and ride it often. I think that the carbon fork makes a huge difference over a previous Trek 7.2 FX that seemed to give a very harsh ride IMO. I ride on paved bike paths and also off road in a limestone quarry nearby that has very bumpy and bone rattling terrain and the Sirrus does great. I think I read that the Sirrus 2.0 is 3-4 pounds heavier than the 3.0 due to the 2.0 not having the carbon fork. The all carbon 4.0 (or 5.0) would be my preferred choice for sure - if one were available - and I had the extra $$.
Old 03-30-21, 06:13 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Good point, thank you.

I'm still able to find both models online. Might go for 2.0 and maybe upgrade again in 2-3 years time.

Thank you

Mack
Makes sense: consider a move when you have more experience and the difference is more obvious, evident, understandable to yourself. Most importantly, you won't miss two months of biking in Oxford -whichever Oxford that my be. Enjoy your new bike!

P.S. Yes, the carbon fork is definitely more susceptible to serious damage, but this has never concerned me on my eight-year-old-to-be carbon-fork Sirrus. Unless you're going off sidewalks regularly, or otherwise abusing the fork, you not likely to damage the fork. If you are regularly hitting unavoidable potholes and the like, it could gradually weaken the fork, but then that wouldn't be good for any non-suspension fork. nor other bike joints and components.

Last edited by BiciMan; 03-30-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-10-21, 01:47 PM
GeoffNA

In West Philadelphia, born and raised...

Drove from Providence to Philly to pick up this beauty, and it was well worth it. After a few mods, she is nothing but fun.

Sirrus X 5.0 Redwood (like a burnt orange)
  • Ergon GP4 grips
  • SQLab inner bar ends
  • S-Works carbon seat post
  • Race Face Chester pedals

I’ve got SQLab 30X carbon bars I want to try, a raised stem experimentation, and most definitely a new saddle, but right now, the bike is a blast.

The most pleasant surprise, the inner bar ends. Brings the feeling of hoods to drop bars. I love ‘em.

Likes For GeoffNA:
Old 04-10-21, 02:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Nice color! You seem to like SQlab stuff -- try one of their saddles. I have an SQlab 604 Active and really like it.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-10-21, 03:12 PM
GeoffNA

Thanks! Their saddles are at the top of my list. I was hoping to try a 702 Active but very hard to find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.