Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Alcohol and You

Old 02-22-17, 06:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
We could trade some pretty good stories ��
Personal pic provided on page 2.
If you can't remember 'me' in a picture, how would I remember being in a bar with a stranger 20 years ago?

I've been called worse than Henry.

Did you hear about the American Methodist minister, the Irish Catholic priest and the Israeli Jewish rabbi who went into a bar.......?
Or the time I climbed aboard my large US Navy vessel in Napoli via the mooring lines and over the 3' rat guards?
or the mother of all 'stories' = The beer that made Milt Famy walk us?

Those kinds of stories?
Old 02-22-17, 06:42 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Yes, an unworthy fan!
We all have our weaknesses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bloody knee Cure LR.jpg (98.7 KB, 484 views)

Old 02-22-17, 07:36 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Personal pic provided on page 2.
If you can't remember 'me' in a picture, how would I remember being in a bar with a stranger 20 years ago?

I've been called worse than Henry.

Did you hear about the American Methodist minister, the Irish Catholic priest and the Israeli Jewish rabbi who went into a bar.......?
Or the time I climbed aboard my large US Navy vessel in Napoli via the mooring lines and over the 3' rat guards?
or the mother of all 'stories' = The beer that made Milt Famy walk us?

Those kinds of stories?
Saw the pic, it's what prompted the question. That Henry was in the Navy as well. But if you don't remember 9 bottles of wine among 4 people in one evening ending by sliding around the Philly burbs to test out the 4wd in an Audi Quatro, well, maybe it was you

Yep, me and Old Mil go back a ways too.
Old 02-22-17, 09:24 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I do not drink. Never have. No need for it. Never understood the point.
Old 02-22-17, 10:53 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IPAs.jpg (85.1 KB, 467 views)
Old 02-22-17, 11:51 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Started out as a light drinker with rare party binges in my 20s and then settled down. Most always wine or beer. Life changes in my 40s started me on the road to drinking more plus I discovered vodka. Oh, yeah!!! Then I was off to the races. Crossed over into alcoholism in my late 40s. Drank to get drunk almost every night for 5 or 6 years. Now I've been sober for almost 5 years with the help of that certain program. My sober journey has helped me lose over 50 pounds for what I hope will be the last time. While losing the weight I became passionate about cycling. Now I ride about 6000 miles a year. My gf says it is my new addiction. She is probably right!
Old 02-23-17, 07:04 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
Started out as a light drinker with rare party binges in my 20s and then settled down. Most always wine or beer. Life changes in my 40s started me on the road to drinking more plus I discovered vodka. Oh, yeah!!! Then I was off to the races. Crossed over into alcoholism in my late 40s. Drank to get drunk almost every night for 5 or 6 years. Now I've been sober for almost 5 years with the help of that certain program. My sober journey has helped me lose over 50 pounds for what I hope will be the last time. While losing the weight I became passionate about cycling. Now I ride about 6000 miles a year. My gf says it is my new addiction. She is probably right!
Nice, congrats on some serious weight loss and life changes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-23-17, 07:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
Old 02-23-17, 11:28 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by bargeon
Saw the pic, it's what prompted the question. That Henry was in the Navy as well. But if you don't remember 9 bottles of wine among 4 people in one evening ending by sliding around the Philly burbs to test out the 4wd in an Audi Quatro, well, maybe it was you

Yep, me and Old Mil go back a ways too.
Sorry, not me - but maybe my twin that shows up every decade or so.
Sounds like i should have been there.
Bring the next party far north left.
Old 02-23-17, 11:30 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Very occasional beer in my 20's but was way into marijuana back in the day. Quit weed in my mid-30's but now have an occasional beer or glass of wine . . . maybe one of each per month and never anything stronger.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-23-17, 11:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Biker395
We all have our weaknesses.
Leg shaving season is nearly upon us.
For SoCal people = what are you waiting for?
Try it, you'll like it.

edit: if that's a right leg, see your doc, it may be more severe than road rash.
Old 02-23-17, 02:29 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Just finished a 104 miles today and had a COLD COORS NA with soup.
Old 02-23-17, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
"Thirsty Thursday"
Old 02-23-17, 04:16 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Fascinating, enjoyable and occasionally sobering reading through this. Good bunch of folks this.

I nearly always have wine with meals. Usually whites with brunch or lunch, whites or reds with dinner depending on the course. Nothing goes with desert like a good Port.

Some meals call for beer instead of wine and I can't say that I mind a good IPA, Porter, or Stout.

I love Scotch but only drink it occasionally. I buy one or two bottles per year and consume about one. The angels seem to always be getting their share (I've measured this and they're pretty much getting 50% and I've tried all kinds of ways of sealing opened bottles).

I never drink so much that I get drunk. Yep, mostly a religious thing: Prov 20:1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise. I'm not always very wise but I try not to be too stupid. I've seen too many people ruin their lives, careers, and families by drinking too much.

Now well past the half century mark I'm beginning to consider cutting back though. Partially for calories and partially thinking that some of my increasing sleep problems may be related. We'll see. My wife got me a Coravin for my birthday so we'll see if it allows me to stretch a good cheap Cab over 3 or 4 nights instead of 2.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 02-23-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 04:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Owner of the LBS gave me a Job , while hanging out in the place a GF worked

we still hang out in the bar , after work a block from the Shop

keep thinking about a Raleigh Rainier bike, decorated like the gold top cans

white, red lettering, gold painted fenders, half rack front rack..

Old 02-23-17, 04:51 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Leg shaving season is nearly upon us.
For SoCal people = what are you waiting for?
Try it, you'll like it.

edit: if that's a right leg, see your doc, it may be more severe than road rash.
Lol. I'm keeping leg-shaving in reserve. I threaten the kids with it every time they say I ride too much.

That was from an incident on a dormant volcano covered in pumice. OMG is that stuff abrasive. That wound scabbed, cracked and rescabbed countless times before I discovered the wonders of Tegaderm.

Old 02-23-17, 06:54 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I'm NOT an alcoholic but I do love the tastes of many alcoholic beverages. I swear by good Margaritas. I've learned that there aren't any bad Chiantis. I find that Brown Ales are really smooth and my beer of choice. I could drink Jamesons and Sprite very regularly. I enjoy sipping a Baileys naked. I'm guessing the common ingredient in all the drinks is the sugar......

All of this is done in moderation. I don't think it's good for me but I enjoy it. I tend to notice the sleeping issues as well. I'm drinking more now that I'm retired and I don't have to worry so much about being as mentally sharp for challenging tasks the next day. I suspect it doesn't help reflux issues either.

My kids are very careful about what they drink and how much. At least since they are now out of college......... For that I'm grateful.

Interestingly I found on my cross country cycling trip there was little effect from what I drank the night before. Dehydration maybe??? Heck, I couldn't drink that much anyway.....

I have lost some friends to alcohol........tough to witness.
Old 02-23-17, 07:29 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
I don't drink. It's just not how I want to feel. I feel fine the way I am.
I grew up in the 70's, so had more than my share of alcohol. Now, I avoid it like the plague.
Stepping back and looking at my previous alcohol consumption objectively, I see that it (like cigarette smoking, marijuana use, etc.) was an effort to dispel nervous tension.
Now, I avoid that kind of tension because I am much more tuned in to how I feel. I can tell when I am tense, where-as, in the past, I was unable to detect this, because I was almost always in a state of tension, and was only truly relaxed when I was in the woods or the beach. Somewhere in nature.
The way I avoid the tension is to avoid the kinds of people and activities that I associate with it. I choose my company very wisely. I am not saying that I made some heroic effort to stop drinking. I believe that it was by divine intervention that it took place at age 29.
If your sleep cycles are being disturbed, then that is a serious signal. I don't need to tell anyone how important deep, restful sleep in adequate amounts is.
If you think you have a problem, you probably do. You might want to put yourself in a place (internal and external) where you don't need it.
Old 02-23-17, 11:24 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Fascinating, enjoyable and occasionally sobering reading through this. Good bunch of folks this.

I nearly always have wine with meals. Usually whites with brunch or lunch, whites or reds with dinner depending on the course. Nothing goes with desert like a good Port.

Some meals call for beer instead of wine and I can't say that I mind a good IPA, Porter, or Stout.

I love Scotch but only drink it occasionally. I buy one or two bottles per year and consume about one. The angels seem to always be getting their share (I've measured this and they're pretty much getting 50% and I've tried all kinds of ways of sealing opened bottles).

I never drink so much that I get drunk. Yep, mostly a religious thing: Prov 20:1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise. I'm not always very wise but I try not to be too stupid. I've seen too many people ruin their lives, careers, and families by drinking too much.

Now well past the half century mark I'm beginning to consider cutting back though. Partially for calories and partially thinking that some of my increasing sleep problems may be related. We'll see. My wife got me a Coravin for my birthday so we'll see if it allows me to stretch a good cheap Cab over 3 or 4 nights instead of 2.
Similar experiences except that for me, peat smoke pretty much ruins perfectly good alcohol. In my experience, a good red wine tastes is even better when enjoyed on an occasional basis. And, I learned a trick: the cork from a wine bottle works perfectly to stopper a 22 oz craft IPA, making it possible to inexpensively enjoy a good craft beer in smaller portions over a couple of days.

People are smart to be concerned by an over-indulgence in alcohol. Based on my research, even according to the latest advice coming out of Britain where many have apparently become sensitized to a drinking problem that has been generations in the making, enjoying about a 1/3 of a 22-24 ounce bottle of ~6-7% India Pale Ale is not harmful to most folks.

The country's forefathers drank a very mild apple cider on a daily basis because it was safer than drinking the water. George Washington was a whisky distiller and lived to age 67. Thomas Jefferson (he made it to 83) may perhaps be a more fitting model for 21st century living--e.g.,

He advocated the virtues of wine stating "no nation is drunken where wine is cheap; and none sober, where the dearness of wine substitutes ardent spirits as the common beverage." His own alcohol use was moderate and he often watered his wine to lessen its effect.

"...you are not to conclude I am a drinker. My measure is a perfectly sober 3 or 4 glasses at dinner, and not a drop at any other time. But as to those 3 or 4 glasses I am very fond."

In this respect he was much different than his fellow Virginians. Washington was said to be able to drink four bottles in an evening. Indeed, Jefferson's health habits fit more in the Twenty-first century than the Eighteenth. His high fiber diet, exercise regime, moderate use of alcohol and non-use of tobacco are the basis of healthful living today.

~See, The Healthful Habits of Thomas Jefferson
By Thomas Jewett
Old 02-24-17, 12:05 AM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I look back at my "body of work" of drinking if you will, and think about all those, under the influence of alcohol days and nights. That turned into weeks, months and ultimately now years. I say meh-uh, it really wasn't that great and I probably could of done with out the bulk of it. Had I chosen to not drink, and party so much, I think I would have made different choices in my life that would have put me on a more positive track in certain areas. That being said I have had good stretches of clean time, and if you think your problems are all going away because you stopped drinking...forget it stuff still comes up. Thing is you might be in a better state to deal with it and handle your business, personal stuff etc. when your not drinking.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-24-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 09:51 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I do not drink. Never have. No need for it. Never understood the point.
I am solidly in your camp, reinforced by a wife who is also a lifelong alcohol abstainer. Both of our fathers had moderate problems -- including obesity -- with alcohol, and one of her grandfathers had serious issues with it. (Please, no Scots and Irish generalizations. )

My maternal grandfather's kidneys were greatly impaired, as the result of Bright's disease from a WWI shrapnel wound. He would not have lived to age 88 without virtually abstaining from alcohol.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-24-17, 11:01 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

For most of my life, I’ve consumed a beer or two regularly almost every night. The past few years I often added a shot of hard liqour ...

Probably helpful too to consider that alcohol does not go well with also taking acetaminophen (Tylenol), especially as we age and some may find themselves taking more acetaminophen for pain than when they were younger...

It is probably better (safer for your liver) to just abstain from drinking alcohol altogether rather than taking the two together, even if under the recommended max daily dose... and, in those situations, not more than a beer or single mixed drink and only before, not after taking Tylenol.
Old 02-24-17, 11:29 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Probably helpful too to consider that alcohol does not go well with also taking acetaminophen (Tylenol), especially as we age and some may find themselves taking more acetaminophen for pain than when they were younger...

It is probably better (safer for your liver) to just abstain from drinking alcohol altogether rather than taking the two together, even if under the recommended max daily dose... and, in those situations, not more than a beer or single mixed drink and only before, not after taking Tylenol.
After taking EMT training, I will never touch Tylenol, aka acetaminophen, aka paracetamol, aka APAP, again.
(APAP is abbreviation used to blur the fact it is added to some prescription drugs).
Liver damage can begin at doses just 25% above the max recommended dose!

Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.[53][54][55][56] According to the FDA, in the United States there were "56,000 emergency room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations, and 458 deaths per year related to acetaminophen-associated overdoses during the 1990s. Within these estimates, unintentional acetaminophen overdose accounted for nearly 25 percent of the emergency department visits, 10 percent of the hospitalizations, and 25 percent of the deaths."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol#Liver_damage
Old 02-24-17, 11:53 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
After taking EMT training, I will never touch Tylenol, aka acetaminophen, aka paracetamol, aka APAP, again.
(APAP is abbreviation used to blur the fact it is added to some prescription drugs).
Liver damage can begin at doses just 25% above the max recommended dose!

Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.[53][54][55][56] According to the FDA, in the United States there were "56,000 emergency room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations, and 458 deaths per year related to acetaminophen-associated overdoses during the 1990s. Within these estimates, unintentional acetaminophen overdose accounted for nearly 25 percent of the emergency department visits, 10 percent of the hospitalizations, and 25 percent of the deaths."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol#Liver_damage
Holy crap!

Old 02-24-17, 02:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, the nephrologists I worked for back in the 1970s-'80s already knew about the risks of acetaminophen. There's a risk of liver and kidney damage from the cumulative effect of longterm use at levels considered "normal" or therapeutic. The only time I've taken the stuff was when it was combined with codeine #3 for pain after dental work.

Normally I use ibuprofen. Nothing is without risks but it works better than any OTC oral analgesic I've tried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.