Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Indexing problem....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Indexing problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 09:11 PM
KH0456

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indexing problem....

I need to step away for tonight and look again in the morning..... I've been adjusting bikes since I was a kid.... wind that's a long time!

So here's the deal. My bike has SRAM Force components. Double tap brake/shifters. SRAM 1070 10 speed cassette.
Today I figured is was chain cleaning day. I clean it on the bike with a park cleaner. Good so far. I also figured since it's been a while since I've taken the cassette off, I wanted to make sure there was a little lube on the freewheel body. I've done that tons of times. So everything is cleaned and reassembled. I figured since I took the cassette off, I'd probably have to tweak the shifting a bit with the barrel adjuster. I pride myself in keeping all my bikes shifting perfectly.
So, now the fun starts. I can't get the shifting as perfect as I had it before. I'll get it to shift up ok, but coming down it may hesitate on a cog and start making chain noise. I move the barrel adjuster maybe a quarter turn which fixes it.... but now it hesitates going up.

For some reason I can't make it happy.... just a fraction of a turn makes it grind going up or down. I've never had this problem before.
I've started the whole adjustment from scratch several times by putting the chain on the smallest cog, then loosening the cable lock to pull the slack out, tighten it and start the adjustment.
All cables are clean and move freely.

I'm not sure where the problem is.... something I've done maybe? The only thing I just thought of is the spacers in the cassette the same size? I don't remember ever seeing a difference but if I put the spacers out of order maybe that could be a problem.... but I don't think that's the case.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll be rested and get it like I like it. No noise at all!
Old 07-30-17, 06:31 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
adjust out the B-Tension screw on the derailer so it rotates forward to be closer to the cogs.
that should make the derailer more responsive overall
its the screw right next to where the derailer mounts to the derailer hanger, at the back.
you've taken out too much B-Tension if the gears grind in your very lowest gear combo.

also, lube the cable and housings, friction causes shifting hesitation

and I'd tell you to check the derailer hanger alignment. but everyone else is going to say that anyway.
Old 07-30-17, 03:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
and I'd tell you to check the derailer hanger alignment. but everyone else is going to say that anyway.
What xenologer said.
Old 07-30-17, 04:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Know what? Sometimes dirty drivetrains don't make much noise. Built up grime on chains and cassettes/chainrings can mask noise from misalignments. What you may be seeing is an underlining problem due to sticky cables. How long has it been since your shift cables have been serviced?
Old 07-31-17, 04:46 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bent hanger, as suggested. Get your lbs to check it using their tool. Although people will tell you you can see it, my KHS looked right but once he put the tool on it, the error showed. Quick tweek, fiddle with the adjusters, job done. Cost me nothing (but I buy stuff from him)
Old 07-31-17, 11:45 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Being able to shift up but not down, and vice versa by indexing adjustment, is a classic sign of excess friction in the system. Check/lube/replace your shift cables, especially the last loop going into the derailleur, which tends to accumulate water and road gunk.
Old 08-01-17, 04:31 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Bent hanger, as suggested. Get your lbs to check it using their tool. Although people will tell you you can see it, my KHS looked right but once he put the tool on it, the error showed. Quick tweek, fiddle with the adjusters, job done. Cost me nothing (but I buy stuff from him)
Same with a wheel dishing gauge. The error is amplified with these tools. The naked eye cannot see the error. My claims are backed up by the millions of shelves put up by DIY enthusiasts worldwide who do not own a spirit level
Old 08-01-17, 09:00 AM
KH0456

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all!

First thanks very much for the replies. All taken well and all good info!
So I'll say that I do have it fixed.... and my first sentence I put in the post should have been where I stopped. It was late and I was tired.... Its amazing when the brain is tired you cant think.
The next day I got back on it and was able to get it back in tune. That being said, the folks that recommend me having the LBS check the hanger alignment is something I'll do. I don't think its out much if at all, but its worth a look anyway.

As far as the cables, they are all in very good and clean condition. Part of things I do periodically is to clean and lightly lube them. Right now I can move them from shifter to the DR with just the slightest of touch.
Also, I wasn't saying I only had an issue in one direction.... I was over compensating so it was giving me fits in both directions. Id get it to work going up, but going down would grind, so I fixed that but it would then grind going back up....

Just admitting to my goof.... like I said in the beginning.... I should have closed up shop and gone inside.