Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

It must be winter again

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

It must be winter again

Old 10-22-18, 02:56 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It must be winter again

Last couple of days, co-workers have been asking if I rode in. I know that it's just a conversational gambit because they're aware that I never NOT ride in, but I couldn't figure out why the interest all of a sudden. I finally got clued in when two people mentioned how "cold" it is. Arctic cool 39° this morning Anyway, "winter" has officially arrived in Georgia!
Old 10-22-18, 03:06 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
33F at the start, 38F at the end for me this morning. Once the sun came out, I had to ditch the hat and open up my jacket to dump heat. And I only had two layers on. I don't get it either about "it's too cold to ride", people go skiing/snowboarding in much colder conditions. Is biking just stereotyped as a summer activity?
Old 10-22-18, 03:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
33F at the start, 38F at the end for me this morning. Once the sun came out, I had to ditch the hat and open up my jacket to dump heat. And I only had two layers on. I don't get it either about "it's too cold to ride", people go skiing/snowboarding in much colder conditions. Is biking just stereotyped as a summer activity?
Only by folks whose only "activity" is rolling down the car window...
Old 10-22-18, 04:18 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Coincidentally it was 39F on my ride in here in Colorado Springs, and a vendor asked if I rode today; although I average 4 days a week, and I usually drive on Mondays (it's mMonday).
Old 10-22-18, 04:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Yep. The endless permutation of clothing combinations is bewidering. Get it wrong and you'll be sweating or just be miserably cold. And then the effect of the cold on battery life for lights and cameras. Needless to say, it's not my favourite time of the year yo ride. But the least favourite time is yet to come.
Old 10-22-18, 05:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I think I'd be more likely to continue riding through the winter if it weren't so dark when I leave for work beginning at this time of year. When I drive to work in the mornings lately, I struggle to see through my frosty windows, and if I don't keep spraying defroster fluid on them, I can lose practically all visibility.

I don't want to be a cyclist on the road with people in cars having this same problem. Especially if they are on their phones complaining to their friends about it.

But to the point of this thread, I was just talking to my wife yesterday about how, within the past ten years, I've gone from looking forward to bundling up for a brisk winter ride to having absolutely no ambition to do so at all .
Old 10-22-18, 07:18 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think I'd be more likely to continue riding through the winter if it weren't so dark when I leave for work beginning at this time of year. When I drive to work in the mornings lately, I struggle to see through my frosty windows, and if I don't keep spraying defroster fluid on them, I can lose practically all visibility.

I don't want to be a cyclist on the road with people in cars having this same problem. Especially if they are on their phones complaining to their friends about it.

But to the point of this thread, I was just talking to my wife yesterday about how, within the past ten years, I've gone from looking forward to bundling up for a brisk winter ride to having absolutely no ambition to do so at all .
That's a shame, Tom. I agree that there are many factors on the road that are beyond your control and that are potential catastrophes, more so in the winter, I suppose. I am well aware of these dangers when riding in the winter. If I don't feel safe I won't hesitate to take the sidewalk to avoid being side by side with cars. Sidewalks come with their own hazards, but the danger is in front of you, and you have some control over how you proceed.

We all do what we feel is best for your own safety. Good luck to you.
Old 10-22-18, 08:15 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
It's not yet winter around here, but the squirrels of chicago sure are acting awfully frenzied these days.
Old 10-22-18, 09:32 PM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only problem i run in to is trying to keep my feet warm. The rest of me is ok, just my feet start to freeze at mile 8, out of 10.5 mile trip. I wear wool socks and long pants, but can't keep them warm and by the end of my rides ( when it's low 30's) they are painfully cold.
Old 10-23-18, 01:12 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Last couple of days, co-workers have been asking if I rode in. I know that it's just a conversational gambit because they're aware that I never NOT ride in, but I couldn't figure out why the interest all of a sudden. I finally got clued in when two people mentioned how "cold" it is. Arctic cool 39° this morning Anyway, "winter" has officially arrived in Georgia!
Coincidentally, it's 7C here today, which is around 39F. I plan to ride in. Just sent the in-laws to pick up some pastries and their from Bavaria and said it was cold.

Need to finish putting in the IKEA kitchen today.
Old 10-23-18, 05:29 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by CrewFan
The only problem i run in to is trying to keep my feet warm. The rest of me is ok, just my feet start to freeze at mile 8, out of 10.5 mile trip. I wear wool socks and long pants, but can't keep them warm and by the end of my rides ( when it's low 30's) they are painfully cold.
You probably need something to cut the wind. A pair of shoe covers might do the trick.
Old 10-23-18, 06:16 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
shoe covers on the outside, aluminum foil over the toes on the inside
Old 10-23-18, 07:10 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Yep. The endless permutation of clothing combinations is bewidering. Get it wrong and you'll be sweating or just be miserably cold. And then the effect of the cold on battery life for lights and cameras. Needless to say, it's not my favourite time of the year yo ride. But the least favourite time is yet to come.
To add to that, the variances in temperatures during the day. Yesterday, my ride in was 35 degrees while my ride home was 50 degrees. This creates the need for 2 different clothing combinations. A 15 degree difference in the summer is no big deal, but as the weather turns, you can easily get it wrong and be uncomfortable. Add a little rain into the mix and it gets even more interesting.
Old 10-23-18, 07:25 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
That's a good tip! I made a video a couple of weeks ago with some winter riding and commuting tips that I've learned over the years...

Old 10-23-18, 08:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I'd give the one guy a "pass" on that, an older gentleman with a knee replacement, the other pending, walks with a cane. But he rides a motorcycle so we have something in common, with the weather anyway.

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Or just a plastic bag around your foot inside the shoe covers.
Old 10-23-18, 08:53 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Getting to be winter here too. Leaves are pretty much gone already and my ride in started with 29 degree temps. Afternoon ride was in the low 50's and the usual cold NW winds. At 29 it was a long sleeve jersey under a midweight jacket, balaclava and ice armor gloves. Bottoms were 3/4 length pants with knee warmers which helps me from overheating, wool socks and waterproof hiking boots. Still battle with overheating some which isn't a problem unless I hit a long train like yesterday.
Old 10-23-18, 08:57 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was looking at some covers and wasn't sure how well they worked. Is there sla style/features i should look for ?
Old 10-23-18, 09:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So "too cold to ride a bike" must be defined as "too cold for me to roll down my window to yell at the cyclist"?
Old 10-23-18, 09:38 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
i rode Monday and I saw 29F on the GPS. A lot of people asked me if I rode. It was not too bad considering the temps and it is still October.

i agree with the shoe covers they make a big difference. i agree with the aluminum foil that really does help over the toes when it really cold.

yesterday i had my super cold and 60F forecasted but really mid 50'sF by the time I rode home dialed perfect. Great ride both ways. this morning was warmer and I was comfortable I hope I got it right for the ride home today as well.
Old 10-23-18, 10:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
So "too cold to ride a bike" must be defined as "too cold for me to roll down my window to yell at the cyclist"?
Exactly. So ya gotta wait until you get to work and hassle the one guy or gal that does bike in... "did YOU ride today..."
Old 10-23-18, 11:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I still haven't solved the hands and feet problems, but my commute is now 6.5 miles rather than 13.5 miles, so maybe they won't be problems any more.

Very little of my route is on streets. Most of it is on a MUP, so I don't need to worry about drivers who can't see. I consider myself very lucky. In other places, I would also hesitate to ride in the winter. On New Jersey suburban roads, I was pretty scared at evening rush hour, knowing how irritable the drivers were feeling.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-23-18, 11:34 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
It's funny,,every year I go through a bit of a "conditioning" phase, in getting accustomed to colder temps. Anything below the mid 50's seems cool as we enter autumn, but as the season progresses that doesn't seem cool at all and it takes temps maybe in the low 40's to cause me to feel cold at all on a ride. In the heart of the winter, I will ride in temps down into the mid 20's. That's about my low limit, but there typically aren't many days that get much lower than that here, so it's not a big deal.

The last few days, I've ridden home in temps in the mid to low 40's and it has felt quite comfortable to me. Although I do tend to "overdress" at this point in the year for temps like that; later I will probably remove a layer of clothing for those temps compared to now. I wore a long sleeve base layer and an old school wool jersey on those recent rides in the 40's, on the way home in the evening. I'm still in my yearly cold weather "conditioning" phase at this point.
Old 10-23-18, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Folks, please put your locations in your profiles. It's interesting, and it gives us perspective on what you say.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-23-18, 03:56 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by noglider
I still haven't solved the hands and feet problems, but my commute is now 6.5 miles rather than 13.5 miles, so maybe they won't be problems any more.
Yep. My issues with hands and feet usually surface the last 10-15 minutes of a 20-commute/
Old 10-23-18, 04:01 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by CrewFan
I was looking at some covers and wasn't sure how well they worked. Is there sla style/features i should look for ?
Shoe covers will still leave the underside of your shoes exposed and cold air will still find its way to your feet eventually. They may delay the onset, but sooner or later.

When it gets down to -3*C or colder I'll use my Specialized Defroster shoes, which are insulated winter road shoes. Combined with a good pair of wool socks they work well. At -7*C I'll have to use the neoprene covers over the Defrosters. And below -10*C, I'll stick a packet of chemical warmers over my toes. Colder than this I'll probably drive.

Yeah, it's a lot of little incremental mods and a PITA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.