Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

130mm QR skewer on a 126mm hub?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-26-18, 12:41 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a C&V bike from 80s. It has a 126mm rear spacing with a Shimano Sante rear hub. I want to buy a Kickr Snap trainer, which only works with 130/135 mm skewers. Can I just slap a 130mm QR skewer on my 126mm hub and use the Kickr Snap?
Old 10-26-18, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
answering a different question

Check the Local Bike Shop . people trash rear wheels first
so there is a bin of used skewers.

get the ones with steel capped internal cam, and a big steel nut - cap on the other end.

those work great on trainer stands..

this is one is along the standard lines of the type.. to my eye.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...p-bike-trainer

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-26-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 12:53 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Check the Local Bike Shop . people trash rear wheels first
so there is a bin of used skewers.

get the ones with steel capped internal cam, and a big steel nut - cap on the other end.

those work great on trainer stands..

I already have a skewer as you described, but it is sized for 126mm hub. Wahoo claims that 126 spaced dropouts don't work with kickr snap.
Old 10-27-18, 10:35 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Spacers?
Old 10-27-18, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Or, buy a trainer stand from someone else? then you can get one that is compatible,
or flexible enough,,,

​​​​​​​I want to buy a Kickr Snap trainer,
which means you have not bought anything yet, thry're not unique..

Just buy another brand,?...
Old 10-27-18, 08:14 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
130 mm skewer should work. I doubt you'll run out of threads.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-27-18, 09:46 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
130 mm skewer should work. I doubt you'll run out of threads.
I think the issue with Kickr Snap is that you run out of adjustment to tighten the trainer onto the rear wheel if it is a 126mm spacing. I think without spreading the rear dropout, the length of the skewer wouldn't make a difference. If I was hell bent on using Kick Snap, I would spread the rear dropout, get a longer axle, and use 2mm spacers on both sides. However, that's too much trouble. Looks like Kinetic Road Machines work with 126mm dropouts. I will probably go that route.
Old 10-28-18, 09:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Spacers between skewer caps and the frame is now an obvious solution , yes?

hole big enough to let the skewer pass thru & outside diameter like your QR caps are..

with horizontal dropouts they may have to be toothy, for gripping dropout face

or chain force will pull the tire against the frame..
Old 10-28-18, 10:50 AM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spacers between skewer caps and the frame is now an obvious solution , yes?

hole big enough to let the skewer pass thru & outside diameter like your QR caps are..

with horizontal dropouts they may have to be toothy, for gripping dropout face

or chain force will pull the tire against the frame..
Like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-locking...r_1_fkmrnull_4
Old 10-28-18, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

nope looks like the OD will be inadequate , needs be 20mm+ hole too big..
( took out a typical skewer from my parts drawer, and measured it )

Hole thru it for 5mm QR shaft to pass thru, close to that (6mm) or it won't center well if larger..
Won't go to a proper industrial hardware store... Auto parts.. ?

Can't measure stuff on amazon..

Old 10-28-18, 12:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Brofessor
I have a C&V bike from 80s. It has a 126mm rear spacing with a Shimano Sante rear hub. I want to buy a Kickr Snap trainer, which only works with 130/135 mm skewers. Can I just slap a 130mm QR skewer on my 126mm hub and use the Kickr Snap?
OK, I am going to reset and go back to the original question. Skewer length has nothing to do with the overall distance from the outside to outside distance of the skewer once it has been installed and tightened with the wheel installed in the frame. That is determined by the frame spacing. A longer skewer will have threads exposed on the nut side of the skewer. Spacers installed on the outside of the dropouts can increase the effective adjustment for installation of a trainer, but unless those spacers closely fit the diameter of the skewer they will be terribly difficult to install. Have you contacted the manufacturer to find out if your bike will fit? Most trainers that set up the bike with wheels on are able to accommodate 126 mm rear spacing. It is only when you get to trainers that require you to remove the rear wheel that 126 mm rear spacing becomes a problem
Old 10-28-18, 02:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
A longer skewer will have threads exposed on the nut side of the skewer. Spacers installed on the outside of the dropouts can increase the effective adjustment for installation of a trainer, but unless those spacers closely fit the diameter of the skewer they will be terribly difficult to install.
I'd think a handful of 3/16 or #8 washers wouldn't be a big deal to throw on there. A few on each side. Maybe fender washers if needed.
Old 10-28-18, 04:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

fyi

'Fender washer' is a general name for a larger washer with a smaller hole.
Old 10-28-18, 05:07 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcjphil
OK, I am going to reset and go back to the original question. Skewer length has nothing to do with the overall distance from the outside to outside distance of the skewer once it has been installed and tightened with the wheel installed in the frame. That is determined by the frame spacing. A longer skewer will have threads exposed on the nut side of the skewer. Spacers installed on the outside of the dropouts can increase the effective adjustment for installation of a trainer, but unless those spacers closely fit the diameter of the skewer they will be terribly difficult to install. Have you contacted the manufacturer to find out if your bike will fit? Most trainers that set up the bike with wheels on are able to accommodate 126 mm rear spacing. It is only when you get to trainers that require you to remove the rear wheel that 126 mm rear spacing becomes a problem
According to Wahoo, Kickr Snap doesn't accept anything other than 130/135mm hubs.
https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/con...11d2f4&lang=en
Old 10-28-18, 06:32 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A longer skewer won't put the outer edges of the quick-release further apart to fit into the Kickr Snap trainer. The width depends on the hub spacing plus the dropouts. If this is a frame with thicker dropouts, you'll be fine (as the resulting outer width will be similar to a frame with thinner dropouts and 130mm-spaced rear hub. If needed, you could add fender washers between the dropout and QR as suggested above.
Old 10-29-18, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

135-126=9mm '/,2=4.5 mm , so 2 spacers 4~5mm thick on each side
outside the frame, held by the QR skewer, lever cranked down tight..
will make your skewer act like its as long as the trainer company requires.

Or as I said , buy a different trainer stand. that's not so fussy

Maybe buy rollers, instead? (you will have to pay attention, on them)

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-29-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-29-18, 11:53 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
135-126=9mm '/,2=4.5 mm , so 2 spacers 4~5mm thick on each side
outside the frame, held by the QR skewer, lever cranked down tight..
will make your skewer act like its as long as the trainer company requires.

Or as I said , buy a different trainer stand. that's not so fussy

Maybe buy rollers, instead? (you will have to pay attention, on them)

Not to be argumentative, but rollers are a different beast from a smart trainer. And of the wheel-on smart trainers, the Kickr Snap gets the best reviews that I've seen. But what I don't understand from this discussion is how hard could it possibly be to just add 2 2mm washers, one on each side, between the frame and the skewer? It would be OK to ride outdoors with them but I would take them off when the trainer season ends.

You could also just get a 130 wheel and spread the frame to put it on, or put the washers on the inside and spread the frame. I have 2 C&V frames with 130 wheels, it doesn't take much effort to put the wheels on the 126 frame.
Old 10-29-18, 12:01 PM
joemissler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the trainer spacing compressible? As others have said it's not the length of skewer it's the spacing of the over-locknut.
Old 10-29-18, 09:45 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
Not to be argumentative, but rollers are a different beast from a smart trainer. And of the wheel-on smart trainers, the Kickr Snap gets the best reviews that I've seen. But what I don't understand from this discussion is how hard could it possibly be to just add 2 2mm washers, one on each side, between the frame and the skewer? It would be OK to ride outdoors with them but I would take them off when the trainer season ends.

You could also just get a 130 wheel and spread the frame to put it on, or put the washers on the inside and spread the frame. I have 2 C&V frames with 130 wheels, it doesn't take much effort to put the wheels on the 126 frame.
I don’t want to get a new wheel. Spacers could have been an option, but removing them before outdoor rides is just an added hassle. It is odd that Wahoo decided to exclude vintage bike owners from their products. If they don’t want my business I won’t give it I ordered a Kinetic trainer instead. It seems to work with pretty much anything out there with no mods.
Old 10-30-18, 08:53 AM
zacster

I don’t want to get a new wheel. Spacers could have been an option, but removing them before outdoor rides is just an added hassle. It is odd that Wahoo decided to exclude vintage bike owners from their products. If they don’t want my business I won’t give it I ordered a Kinetic trainer instead. It seems to work with pretty much anything out there with no mods.
Wahoo is looking at the serious riders with their higher-end products, and I guess that vintage bikes just don't qualify. Even my Campy 10 didin't qualify even though it isn't that old and I had to do some tweaking to make it work. It just gets difficult to accommodate everything. I love my Kickr Core.

You wouldn't have to remove the spacers to ride outside, but I know that there is that time when the trainer goes into the closet and the spacers could come off at that point.

Enjoy your trainer and suffer greatly.
Old 10-30-18, 09:29 AM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wahoo is looking at the serious riders with their higher-end products, and I guess that vintage bikes just don't qualify. Even my Campy 10 didin't qualify even though it isn't that old and I had to do some tweaking to make it work. It just gets difficult to accommodate everything. I love my Kickr Core.

You wouldn't have to remove the spacers to ride outside, but I know that there is that time when the trainer goes into the closet and the spacers could come off at that point.

Enjoy your trainer and suffer greatly.
It's alright. I wasn't really sure if it was worth paying more for a smart trainer anyways. Incompatibility made the choice easier I guess.
Old 10-30-18, 10:11 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Can I just slap a 130mm QR skewer on my 126mm hub and use the Kickr Snap?
Kinda.
Not really that big of a deal. Just spread the rear triangle to mount the bike to the trainer. Then when winter is over put the wheel back in and ride the bike.

Next consideration is shifting. I assume we're talking 6 or 7 speed shifters. If 6 speed on the bike I assume your shifter has friction mode, since you'll likely have to go with a minimum of 7 speed cassette on the trainer and the cog spacing is a bit different. The only 7-speed cassettes I can find have a 28T big cog, so you'll need to limit out the bigger cogs if you have your chain cut to length to barely accommodate smaller big cogs.

One option is to get a used bike off of Craigslist or eBay for trainer use only. Fairly easy to get 9speed bikes for $200 around here.

Or even a lowend new bike like some of the bikes on bikeisland.com, the scratch and dent sale site for bikes direct.

I'd advocate a trainer specific bike if you really love your classic bike. All that trainer sweat isn't very nice for hard to find components OR a steel frame.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-30-18 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 10:25 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

You could even go with a higher speed count cassette on the trainer, but above 8 and you might have to get a different chain to use your old bike on the trainer. Although I have run 8-speed chain on a 9-speed bike and it wasn't too bad, really.
Old 10-30-18, 09:22 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
You could even go with a higher speed count cassette on the trainer, but above 8 and you might have to get a different chain to use your old bike on the trainer. Although I have run 8-speed chain on a 9-speed bike and it wasn't too bad, really.
The Kickr Snap is a wheel-on trainer. The main issue here is the rear spacing. The cassette will be whatever is already on the bike. My Kickr Core is wheel-off, and needed a cassette. My issue was that the freehub was Shimano 11 and I run Campy 10. These are incompatible, but I made it work.
Old 10-31-18, 12:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

The Kickr Snap is a wheel-on trainer. The main issue here is the rear spacing. The cassette will be whatever is already on the bike. My Kickr Core is wheel-off, and needed a cassette. My issue was that the freehub was Shimano 11 and I run Campy 10. These are incompatible, but I made it work.
Ah, gotcha. The spacer suggestions would be alright, (I'd probably get a couple of 2mm chainring spacers to do the job) but if the frame has horizontal dropouts the wheel may pull out on spirited sprints, 1mm spacer/washer + a toothed washer on both sides might help that (toothed washer against the dropouts, of course)

Could get a 130mm wheel just for trainer use, jam it in there.

I'd probably just go for a nice used craigslist bike, as it shouldn't cost much more than a trainer wheel/cassette/tire/tube/rimtape.

One more option - I have a Qubo Elite trainer that even works with my 120mm rear wheel. It's not quite as nice feature-wise as the Snap, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.