Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indoor Exercise Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indoor Exercise Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 07:40 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Indoor Exercise Bike

Can anyone recommend an indoor exercise bike or what to look for?

Was thinking of going with something cheap to see if I like it.

I want something that feels like pedaling a real bike. Does the pad vs magnetic resistance make a major difference in the way the bike feels?
Old 01-30-19, 08:58 AM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Is it safe to assume you also own a real bike? If yes, here are some things to consider. First, a stand alone indoor bike probably won’t fit you as well as your real bike and won’t pedal as smoothly. Buying a trainer that allows you to use your own bike is probably preferable. Second, riding indoors is boring as hell. You need to find ways to make it engaging if you don’t want your setup to become a fancy towel rack. This can be as simple as music, movies, audiobooks. It can also be more immersive like training software or virtual rides like Zwift or Traineroad. The more immersive stuff requires a smart trainer. It definitely makes the time go faster, though. 30 minutes on my old “dumb” trainer bored me to tears and I rarely used it. On the smart trainer I can go over an hour with ease and use it 4-5 times per week.

I would try to borrow a dumb trainer from someone and try it. Then find a bike store that can let you try a smart trainer. Then you can figure out which way to go.
Likes For SpectrumTi:
Old 01-30-19, 09:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A good fluid trainer will have a resistance curve that is comparable to riding on the road. You pedal harder and it gets harder. A dumb trainer can be fairly inexpensive. You could pay a little more to get calculated power. You could pay a lot more to get actual power and smart control.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-30-19, 09:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check craigslist. Almost every time I check the ads I see a few Cycleops trainers for under $100, and decent 1980s-'90s road bikes for under $200.

Rollers can be more difficult to master but add a level of realism to handling (and falling off). I don't see good rollers advertised as often on craigslist.

No need for a special trainer tire for these. I just use the same very affordable Continental Ultra Sport II that I ride outdoors on. Last year I put 3,000 miles on the same Conti US2 rear tire that also spent hundreds of hours on the Cycleops trainer. No problems. The wear pattern was a little flatter than it would have been riding only outdoors, but there was still plenty of tread remaining.

Be aware that some folks get bored easily with indoor trainers. That's how I got a free Cycleops trainer from a friend. I've used it a few times a week since June when he gave it to me while I was recovering from injuries (I was hit by a car in May). I've never gotten bored with the trainer, but I did get bored with cycle training videos. I mostly binge watched sci-fi series the rest of 2018 -- Orphan Black, The Expanse, Mopes in the Hype Castle (not a fan of the latter). Every time Helena on Orphan Black beat up or killed someone I'd sprint. Good HIIT workouts.

But some folks are more motivated by smart trainers with Zwift or other regimented workouts. A friend whose arm was badly injured when a dog caused her to wreck wasn't motivated to use her bike at all for months until she started using Zwift. Now she's hooked on the social networking aspect. There are Zwift groups for everyone, including casual riders. And another friend who was already a strong rider has gone into beast mode since using Zwift. He's basically turned into an informal time trialist owning new KOMs every week just during the course of his regular 20-50 mile rides. Many of the local Strava top tens were done by fast paceline groups, but this guy does it all solo, faster. And he's in his late 40s or early 50s. So there's an option if you get serious about an indoor trainer. Prepare your wallet for $ticker $hock.
Old 01-30-19, 09:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectrumTi
Is it safe to assume you also own a real bike? If yes, here are some things to consider. First, a stand alone indoor bike probably won’t fit you as well as your real bike and won’t pedal as smoothly. Buying a trainer that allows you to use your own bike is probably preferable. Second, riding indoors is boring as hell. You need to find ways to make it engaging if you don’t want your setup to become a fancy towel rack. This can be as simple as music, movies, audiobooks. It can also be more immersive like training software or virtual rides like Zwift or Traineroad. The more immersive stuff requires a smart trainer. It definitely makes the time go faster, though. 30 minutes on my old “dumb” trainer bored me to tears and I rarely used it. On the smart trainer I can go over an hour with ease and use it 4-5 times per week.

I would try to borrow a dumb trainer from someone and try it. Then find a bike store that can let you try a smart trainer. Then you can figure out which way to go.
^^^^ This

and I would add that if you really want to feel like you are riding your bike, you can't beat smart rollers for both realism (actually riding and developing handling skills) and the smart virtual aspect of using apps mentioned above.

If you are looking just to add realism, basic rollers and using your gears to adjust relative effort in conjunction with watching a movie, listening to music, etc.. is also better than just a stationary dumb (non-smart) trainer.

Riding rollers does take practice, but if you really love riding your bike you will enjoy the challenge because you will look forward to riding them and will get better at it fast. Next thing you know you will be able to ride them without having to concentrate. Riding rollers will highlight bike fit issues because you are locked into your cockpit (numb hands as a result of too much weight on the front end, saddle height issues, etc....), or until you are comfortable adjusting your position and/or getting out of the saddle.
Old 01-30-19, 09:58 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I'd recommend a fluid trainer and using your "real" bike. Park it in front of the TV and only watch TV while exercising. Do intervals during commercials, as though anyone needs a reason to hate them even more.
Old 01-30-19, 10:20 AM
guidosan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, I pretty much agree with what everybody has already said. Get a trainer or rollers instead of a dedicated exercise bike. Also, I am in the camp where riding a trainer was painful to get through, as time seemed to just drag on while I was riding. Do what ever you can to keep it interesting. Ride watching TV or videos and set conditions so you do sprints at certain times like commercials. I heard of some people that ride the rollers during sporting events and sprint during commercials and other changes of speed during live action verses a dead ball. But all of this is to help make it more interesting.
But regarding your question concerning an exercise bike, I still vote for a trainer (fluid if you can) or rollers.
Old 01-30-19, 12:35 PM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Since I ride a hybrid outside and also do spin classes, I'm of a different opinion. Yes, constantly spinning the pedals indoors can be boring. You need some stimulation and that's where a subscription service may be the ticket.

Myself, I use a Pro-Form Studio Cycle that you can use with an iFit subscription. They have a lot of studio classes and rides that use Google maps to map the incline. The bike is automatically adjusted for gear and incline.

That said, there is a drawback to the bike that I own. The flywheel is only 14 pounds, which makes for choppy out of the saddle cadence when you use lighter resistance. It's easy for the flywheel to get ahead of the pedal cadence. If you do go the spin bike type of cycle route, look for one with a heavier flywheel for more fluid out of saddle riding.

Or, you could go the trainer route with a subscription to a service like Zwift. I like the Zwift idea, because you ride with and against others riders from around the world. It's most efficient if your bike/trainer has a good speed/cadence and power meter, especially the power meter. I tried using Zwift while on rollers with only a speed/cadence meter and it didn't accurately depict my output.
Old 01-30-19, 02:38 PM
danh123

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I do have outdoor bikes. I tried a trainer (magoura 850?") that someone gave me. The plate used for resistance was bent so I just took it out and tried it with the one resistance. I wasn't a big fan of it from that limited experience.

I know it is going to be boring and I planned to ride outdoors year round but I just couldn't do it. I don't normally watch tv/movies or listen to music that much so I will use indoor bike time for that and just get through it. It is really for really bad weather days when I can't go run or ride outside.

I am thinking of this one it is only $170 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...+exercise+bike

It seems like a good way to try it out for pretty cheap.

There are other options at 300, 500, 800, 1000, 2000 etc.

Seems like as price goes up you get belt drive, magnetic resistance, better build, screens, etc.

Would magnetic resistance vs the felt pad make a big difference in feeling like riding a bike outdoors?
Old 01-31-19, 02:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by danh123
Can anyone recommend an indoor exercise bike or what to look for?

Was thinking of going with something cheap to see if I like it.

I want something that feels like pedaling a real bike. Does the pad vs magnetic resistance make a major difference in the way the bike feels?
Go with your bicycle and a fluid trainer.
Old 01-31-19, 10:39 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I will add to the census here and just get a fluid trainer. Best thing ever! I love mine for winter riding. Yes watch online places like craigslist and such you can get them with some good prices there.

You will get a fluid trainer or whatever and then in one or two seasons you will have a bike just for your trainer....

My vote for Kurt Kinetic, I have the smart one and its the best torture....er um training tool for indoors imo.
Old 01-31-19, 10:49 AM
Carverbiker

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No one here can tell you what to do you are going to have to take the plunge and see if you like it. Nothing will make you feel like riding outside, except riding outside. If you want indoor excerise and train with heart rate a either spin or trainer will work.

I have known very few people who are able to ride trainers indoors for very long periods of time who are not following at least a somewhat structured training program. Cyclists who enjoy riding outside looking at scenery, riding to destinations, and other JRAers typically have difficulty indoors because the experience is not the same no matter how many movies or TV shows you watch! I do not think I have ever met a mountain biker that rides a trainer in the Winter, even for aerobic fitness, they usually do some other form of cross training just too boring for those folks.

Also so you will need a good strong fan to keep you cool, indoors you will heat up really fast. You will still sweat a lot so you need to make preparations for it if you are riding in a nicer finished space of your dwelling.

Trainers allow you to move them around more easily and can be put away when not in use, spin bikes will take up real estate until you decide to get rid of it.

My setup:

I train with power outdoors so I have recorded on my Garmin a large number of routes with elevation data. My home training area is in the basement with two TV’s, a computer, two fans, and a Computrainer screwed to a wooden platform so it will not move around. I use a buy it and own it software called PerfPro to control the Computrainer (the original smart trainer). The software allows me to ride structured intervals or by distance and grade mode, like riding outside. I am able to ride routes that I do during the Summer.

It it is still not the same as riding outdoors, yet I still do it for 3 months of the year.

Subscrpition services that come with spin bikes such as peloton are monthly charges that add up over time, same with things like Zwift but they do make time pass much faster as your mind is engaged especially if you are a competitive personality.

Trainers tend to be noisier than spin bikes. I prefer listening to music so depending on your situation you may need to invest in headphones.

Trainers can often be found for good prices used on Craigslist or eBay, not sure about spin bikes because I have never looked. Computrainer can be had pretty inexpensively now on eBay ($400) so if you think you have a dedicated space and a computer that could be a good way to go.

Spinervals is a video series that may provide some structured training options for you with either option trainer or spin bike but more trainer focused.

In my opinion, fluid trainers are the best type of dumb trainers with Kurt Kinetic or Cycleops being the leaders. Fluid trainers give you that feeling of riding outdoors in that the faster you pedal the fluid generates more resistance, like wind resistance and it does it automatically. Magnetic trainers and the pads need to be tightened or loosened to add or remove resistance. So not really the same.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Last edited by Carverbiker; 01-31-19 at 10:55 AM. Reason: To add
Old 01-31-19, 12:36 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Craiglist is your friend.

LOTS of people buy exercise equipment, determined to get into shape. Then don't.

Then they want some of their money back and Craiglist is full of very lightly used inventory of exercise bikes and rowing machines and stair climbers.
Old 01-31-19, 01:02 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Carverbiker
Nothing will make you feel like riding outside, except riding outside.
I disagree with this one point. Floating smart rollers absolutely feels like riding your bike outside, in terms of actually "riding your bike" vs. just peddling on a fixed trainer. Combined with Zwift or FulGaz on a big screen TV it's a pretty good substitute. You can also ride real life routes created with RideWithGPS or Kamoots that have been ridden through an Elemnt Bolt which adjusts the resistance based on slope of the real route. There is also a wind adjustment that replicates wind drag.
Old 01-31-19, 01:13 PM
Carverbiker

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I disagree with this one point. Floating smart rollers absolutely feels like riding your bike outside, in terms of actually "riding your bike" vs. just peddling on a fixed trainer. Combined with Zwift or FulGaz on a big screen TV it's a pretty good substitute. You can also ride real life routes created with RideWithGPS or Kamoots that have been ridden through an Elemnt Bolt which adjusts the resistance based on slope of the real route. There is also a wind adjustment that replicates wind drag.
Good point! I have not tried rollers in years and rollers have always been more realistic than a fixed trainer!
Old 01-31-19, 01:15 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
It's still not the same.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a good simulator as much as the next guy. Flight sim, driving sim, golf sim, shooting sim, it's all fun. But it's not the same as really doing it.
Old 01-31-19, 01:46 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
It's still not the same.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a good simulator as much as the next guy. Flight sim, driving sim, golf sim, shooting sim, it's all fun. But it's not the same as really doing it.
Physiologically it is the same. No you are not actually outside, but you are really riding your bike.

Old 01-31-19, 02:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by .popcycle.
Peloton, no question!

twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089699762331217920
These are very cool a coworker of mine has one. Really neat but it costs so darn much Bike was 2K and then something like $40 a month or something ( I could be a little off) but for that money I can get a nice turbo and lots of subscriptions and still have cash left over at the end of the year for other bike stuff.

Peloton is really cool I do agree but for a first time indoor buyer I wouldn't think its a great idea until they want to commit to riding indoors for sure. just my opinion.....
Old 01-31-19, 03:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by .popcycle.
Uh, the link I provided should have been a giant clue that I was being facetious.
Sorry my bad, I feel like a stoop

the link didn't work for me but I copied and pasted it into my web browser and those are pretty funny actually! I enjoyed that.

Still serious though if I had lots of cash I would own one! They are BA!
Old 01-31-19, 05:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by sdmc530
These are very cool a coworker of mine has one. Really neat but it costs so darn much Bike was 2K and then something like $40 a month or something ( I could be a little off) but for that money I can get a nice turbo and lots of subscriptions and still have cash left over at the end of the year for other bike stuff.

Peloton is really cool I do agree but for a first time indoor buyer I wouldn't think its a great idea until they want to commit to riding indoors for sure. just my opinion.....
My sister and her partner have one. I used it several times while visiting for Xmas and it's a really nice spin bike, but it's more for people who enjoy indoor spin classes and aren't necessarily cyclists.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-01-21, 03:03 PM
gracenewey

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin Bike computer

Sorry if this thread isn’t the right place to post... I’m new here so not sure where best to ask. I bought the Titanium Strength TS2 Indoor Bike which arrived today. In short I had a nightmare with the company I bought it from and definitely wouldn’t say it’s worth what I paid based on quality thus far, but that’s a story for a different day. I have connected all of the electronics connections to the display, but it isn’t working. I can’t see anywhere obvious to insert batteries. I have taken the back off the display and looked at the board and there doesn’t appear to be any batteries or space for batteries in the casing anywhere in sight. I’m no electronics expert but surely it needs power from somewhere? Has anyone had any experience with this? I’ve contacted the company but not hopeful I will get a resolution! Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-01-21, 03:40 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by gracenewey
Sorry if this thread isn’t the right place to post... I’m new here so not sure where best to ask. I bought the Titanium Strength TS2 Indoor Bike which arrived today. In short I had a nightmare with the company I bought it from and definitely wouldn’t say it’s worth what I paid based on quality thus far, but that’s a story for a different day. I have connected all of the electronics connections to the display, but it isn’t working. I can’t see anywhere obvious to insert batteries. I have taken the back off the display and looked at the board and there doesn’t appear to be any batteries or space for batteries in the casing anywhere in sight. I’m no electronics expert but surely it needs power from somewhere? Has anyone had any experience with this? I’ve contacted the company but not hopeful I will get a resolution! Thanks in advance for any help!
I think some of these exercise bikes get their power from the user. Have you tried pedaling before trying to power up the display?
Old 03-02-21, 01:23 AM
gracenewey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I think some of these exercise bikes get their power from the user. Have you tried pedaling before trying to power up the display?
Yes, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to make a difference. It also says in the manual of the display “install batteries or press restart for 2 seconds until a beep sound happens”. Can’t find anywhere to install batteries and don’t hear the beep
Old 03-02-21, 05:57 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by gracenewey
Yes, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to make a difference. It also says in the manual of the display “install batteries or press restart for 2 seconds until a beep sound happens”. Can’t find anywhere to install batteries and don’t hear the beep
Press "RESET" not restart for at least 2 full seconds on the monitor. The battery is in the monitor.
Old 03-02-21, 06:46 AM
gracenewey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Press "RESET" not restart for at least 2 full seconds on the monitor. The battery is in the monitor.
I have and it just doesn’t do anything. Do you have the same bike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.