Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Knee pain

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 07:34 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 225 Posts
Best of luck with your knee replacement. And, please take better care of you new knee than your old one.
Old 12-27-19, 07:08 AM
GreatShake868

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Yes, I'd also faced that problem. I've been riding a bike for five years alredy, but last month I started to feel pain in my knees for the first time. Firstly I thought that it's because of a big load on the knee joints and decided to consult with my doctor. He said that everything is okay with my joints, and recommended me to buy new shoes. Here https://perfectshoesforyou.com/best-...for-bad-knees/ if found a lot of shoes for painful knees and decided to by ones by Nike. I noticed that I feel less pain now, and what is more, they are super comfortable not only for cycling but for running too. So, maybe you should also try to change your shoes.
Likes For GreatShake868:
Old 12-27-19, 09:44 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatShake868
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Yes, I'd also faced that problem. I've been riding a bike for five years alredy, but last month I started to feel pain in my knees for the first time. Firstly I thought that it's because of a big load on the knee joints and decided to consult with my doctor. He said that everything is okay with my joints, and recommended me to buy new shoes. Here https://perfectshoesforyou.com/best-...for-bad-knees/ if found a lot of shoes for painful knees and decided to by ones by Nike. I noticed that I feel less pain now, and what is more, they are super comfortable not only for cycling but for running too. So, maybe you should also try to change your shoes.
I have wondered if the shoes or sandals I usually wear were making a difference. The arch of the shoes is angled . I sometimes ride in my Keen sandals that are mostly flat on the bottom.
I’ll have to pay more attention to what I’m wearing when my knees bother me the most .
Biggest issue I’m having right now is my left wrist . If it’s not one thing , it’s another.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-23-23, 02:10 AM
NYLowLife

Bikes: Greenspeed GT16; previously, mostly recumbents and track bikes (fixies)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
I've had knee pain for years, meniscus tears and tendonitis. Besides one meniscus surgery, I treat the knees with physical therapy, and 45 minutes of warm-ups and stretches before riding. Here are some other things that help on the bike. I've worked these out for myself over the last 20 years of riding, and they work for me:
  • Lower gears - Spin instead of mash. I like a 2x1 gear ratio, like 36x18 for a cruiser if it has 6 1/2" cranks.
  • Full leg extension - I am cheating on this one with my cruisers, riding gently, and treating myself to the higher handlebars and foot-on-the-ground position when stopped
  • Laid-back seat-post - this really helps, by keeping you lower while giving you leg extension
  • Spiky pedals - I like the old rubber block pedals, but if I have good spiky flat MTB pedals, I can move the pedals through more of the circle, get a little "pull" into the action, which helps the knee.
  • Pedal with the arch of the foot, not the ball - puts the foot in a more "crank-forward" position, while extending the leg.
  • Shorter cranks - This decreases the max knee bend at the top of the pedal stroke, decreasing shear force around the kneecap and meniscus. I'm getting 5 1/2" cranks put on a beach cruiser this week.
  • Oval chainrings - I've had Rotor rings from Spain on a Brompton and my recumbent trike. They REALLY help. This requires a 3-piece crank, which I don't yet have on a cruiser.
That's about it for now!