Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 08:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Sad!
Indeed.
Old 04-20-20, 08:20 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
So unless the PUBLIC HEALTH system steps up and creates a scalable drive-up or walk-in testing option, I am very pessimistic about the situation. And terribly disappointed in my state and local health departments.
I don't really know what's going on (I've felt no urge to be personally tested) but over the weekend at select spots in the state they were offering testing to whoever came by designated testing spots, suggesting it's more available now that it was.

I don't know how public health stuff normally works, but the fact that the rules seem to haphazardly vary from one jurisdiction to the next is doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-20-20, 08:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Sorry, I fear I'm being dense as usual: So, you pick a course with long steady ascents and what do you do for rest intervals?
I wrote that while having my coffee on a particularly fuzzy morning, so it likely wasn't clear.

You can do a long steady climb course, but you can also set an intervals workout to slope. So for example, on my FTP test, it's 5' at 0%, 5' at 1%, 5' at 2%, 5' at 0%... then 20' at 4% and another 5/0-20/4. Because it's intervals, it's time-based rather than distance-based, but you can put out as much power as you have the legs for. In erg mode, I'd have to set the 20' intervals to 300w and hold it, or use the +/- keys to go a little harder. Especially for FTP testing, slope mode lets you see what you can really do instead of following a specific prescription.
Old 04-20-20, 08:32 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
You have earned your peace.

I and many of the old-enough-to-know better athletes in my acquaintance have obsessive-compulsive/addictive personalities and need to ratchet up the training (pain) to get the same dose of anxiety reduction. We are also competitive perfectionists (jerks) and need to be faster than someone.
See? Anxiety based over-achieving never crossed my mind(Bah Hunbug excepted). Never having had a real world job, it's a foreign concept. The jobs I did have were mostly manual labor, and thus the competition with myself was moot. If I had the energy to ride at all. Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix
​​​

Old 04-20-20, 08:35 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
The only really weird thing on this bike is the French thread BB. It unthreaded on me once out on a ride but I was able to limp home. Cleaned it up, applied thread locker, and really torqued it down and its been fine for the last ~200 miles.

Thankfully it takes a standard size quill stem.

I do suppose that the derailleur hanger is a bit weird, it's got Huret dropouts with the notch at the 4 o'clock position so you can only use certain Huret derailleurs, but I've got a full set of Huret Jubile shift gear if I ever want to go with multiple gears.
My 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe has a french sized quill stem. Odd.

Old 04-20-20, 08:37 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix
​​​
Where did you farm?
Old 04-20-20, 08:38 AM
WhyFi

See? Anxiety based over-achieving never crossed my mind(Bah Hunbug excepted). Never having had a real world job, it's a foreign concept. The jobs I did have were mostly manual labor, and thus the competition with myself was moot. If I had the energy to ride at all. Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix ​​​
I think that the anxiety reduction was in reference to the physical work/exertion, not necessarily the competitive aspect. I go through the same thing. If I don't exercise, my anxiety levels go up. I suspect that most humans are the same but a) some people work in jobs that are physically demanding and get in their necessary work that way and b) those with more sedentary jobs/lifestyles (you know, a big chunk of America) have simply gotten used to feeling ****ty and snippy and full of anxiety.
Old 04-20-20, 08:39 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
My 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe has a french sized quill stem. Odd.
Definitely odd on a bike that new.

Even stranger, my 76 Motobecane takes a standard quill, but my 77 Japanese-built Super Le Tour has a French size quill and handlebar clamp
Old 04-20-20, 08:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Regarding the COVID19 issue, between me and an INDIVIDUAL patient who is sick, the need for testing is questionable. The current tests take a couple days to schedule and then 3 days for results, so by the time the results are back the patient is better and it almost does not matter.
I am going to confess that last Monday I woke up feeling crappy. Fatigue, G.I. issues, muscle and head aches and a flush feeling. Never had any breathing problems. Emailed my PC at Jeff. He said you "probably" have the virus, but we are not going to bother testing you unless you need to be hospitalized since it doesn't matter and we want to save tests. Ultimately, I think he was incorrect and that what I rally had was a stomach bug because each day I felt better and better and was felling no ill effects as of Friday morning at the latest.
Old 04-20-20, 08:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am going to confess that last Monday I woke up feeling crappy. Fatigue, G.I. issues, muscle and head aches and a flush feeling. Never had any breathing problems. Emailed my PC at Jeff. He said you "probably" have the virus, but we are not going to bother testing you unless you need to be hospitalized since it doesn't matter and we want to save tests. Ultimately, I think he was incorrect and that what I rally had was a stomach bug because each day I felt better and better and was felling no ill effects as of Friday morning at the latest.
Agree. The role for testing YOU as an individual is weak, you should assume you have it and self-isolate for 7 days from onset of symtpoms. That works great when we are all more or less in lockdown.

The BIG problem is testing for asymptomatic carriers. If we don't start doing this, when the restrictions are lifted there is a big chance of a second surge. Sad.

It sounds like Velo Vol's region is already set up. Mine is not and no plans to do so. That's ******** (stupid).
Old 04-20-20, 08:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
See? Anxiety based over-achieving never crossed my mind(Bah Hunbug excepted). Never having had a real world job, it's a foreign concept. The jobs I did have were mostly manual labor, and thus the competition with myself was moot. If I had the energy to ride at all. Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix
​​​
Competitive overachieving is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
Old 04-20-20, 08:51 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
You have earned your peace.

I and many of the old-enough-to-know better athletes in my acquaintance have obsessive-compulsive/addictive personalities and need to ratchet up the training (pain) to get the same dose of anxiety reduction. We are also competitive perfectionists (jerks) and need to be faster than someone.
This
Old 04-20-20, 08:52 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Competitive overachieving is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
And this.
Old 04-20-20, 08:55 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
The BIG problem is testing for asymptomatic carriers. If we don't start doing this, when the restrictions are lifted there is a big chance of a second surge. Sad.

It sounds like Velo Vol's region is already set up. Mine is not and no plans to do so. That's ******** (stupid).
My immediate metro area has a population of 350k and has no general testing centers. You can only get tested at a clinic or hospital if you show symptoms or if you are in healthcare or a first responder.
Old 04-20-20, 08:56 AM
WhyFi

Agree. The role for testing YOU as an individual is weak, you should assume you have it and self-isolate for 7 days from onset of symtpoms. That works great when we are all more or less in lockdown.

My wife was saying that the heath officials in MN were pretty confident that the U of MN had come up with a method of testing that could realistically be rolled out state-wide and that they hoped to do so soon-ish. Being an avid avoider of news, I don't know any more specifics, but that would be encouraging, if correct.
Old 04-20-20, 08:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I agree. You can talk about "re-opening" all you want, but you won't find me running out to see a movie or go to happy hour any time soon.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-20-20, 09:00 AM
WhyFi

I agree. You can talk about "re-opening" all you want, but you won't find me running out to see a movie or go to happy hour any time soon.
I'd go to a movie, but I've always preferred going solo to a weekday matinee, so I wouldn't be within sneeze-range of anyone, anyway (and I'd wipe my armrests, etc).
Old 04-20-20, 09:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Until/unless they really ramp up the testing, you will have to either have everyone wear a mask OR face recurrent surges in illness.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-20-20, 09:18 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Until/unless they really ramp up the testing, you will have to either have everyone wear a mask OR face recurrent surges in illness.
Wearing a mask can put quite a damper on a happy hour.
Old 04-20-20, 09:20 AM
MoAlpha
• —

BTW, wife's PPP loan application was revived by tech support at the bank. She signed the papers today. I had thought it was approved and she had blown the acceptance, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

In other news, an elite athlete in SoCal requested to follow me on Strava today.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-20-20, 09:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Wearing a mask can put quite a damper on a happy hour.
Depends on your goals. Could act kinda like beer goggles.
Old 04-20-20, 09:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Depends on your goals. Could act kinda like beer goggles.
You can still drink with goggles on.
Old 04-20-20, 09:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I hear gasoline is under a dollar per gallon in some places, still over $3 here but I haven't purchased any for weeks. I haven't started my car in a week but tomorrow I need to get groceries again. Mrs John hasn't started her car in a month.

Yesterday I took the mountain bike out for a spin and while I was climbing a rocky fire road 5 men on horseback joined me from an equestrian trail. It was weird, like a group ride but I was the only bike. One of the guys to my left started chatting and we had a nice conversation until they turned off on a different road.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-20-20, 09:40 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I hear gasoline is under a dollar per gallon in some places, still over $3 here but I haven't purchased any for weeks. I haven't started my car in a week but tomorrow I need to get groceries again. Mrs John hasn't started her car in a month.

Yesterday I took the mountain bike out for a spin and while I was climbing a rocky fire road 5 men on horseback joined me from an equestrian trail. It was weird, like a group ride but I was the only bike. One of the guys to my left started chatting and we had a nice conversation until they turned off on a different road.
Damn John where are you @? I have several stations around me that are $1.08 some lower but they vary up and down. A couple have been @1 08 for over a week.
Old 04-20-20, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by big john

I saw 99 cent gas over the weekend in rural WI. I was floored. The last time I saw gas at less than a buck was prolly 20 years ago.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.