Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Track Bike - use it as Fixie?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-12-20, 08:25 AM
wiston

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi guys,

some time ago I have bought this track bike originally used in Belgium for track races. It is nervex frame with Campagnolo/Cinelli/Brooks hardware. I would like to use it as fixie. After some busy months I have finally found time to ride this bike.

When I tried to stop with skid the single speed rear wheel just unscrewed from the hub. I didn't check the mechanism earlier :/

I suppose there is no other option how to turn this bike into fixie than buy new rear hub?

Photos uploaded here on imgbb.com -> The bike photos

Thank you for your advice!
Likes For wiston:
Old 09-12-20, 08:44 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Is there a lock ring on the outside of the cog? If it's properly tightened with a lock-ring you shouldn't have any problems except if you put it under extreme duress.

That's a really lovely frame. As a caveat, I am among many who always recommends having at least a front brake in case of emergency stopping. I have ridden fixed-gear bicycles for hundreds of miles of commuting and pleasure in both urban and rural settings, and even though I rarely used my brake when I did need it I was certainly glad it was there!

-Gregory
Old 09-12-20, 08:49 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Appears you have a few things visible-

that is an odd rear hub as the flanges are spaced more like a track hub but there is no lock ring left hand section- those are of just slightly smaller diameter. I think that this hub set was originally for a citibike.
I have seen guys try and use a bottom bracket lock ring jammed against the cog ( to fool race officials that want to see a lock ring )
I would not rely on that to hold together for skid stop backpedaling forces.

both hubs are missing their bearing covers.
this was done from time to time by track racers as they would just flush out the bearings often and add a few drops of oil before a race session. ( I am guilty of this)
But! Tracks are pretty clean and what I described is servicing the bearings about after every hour of use.

these hubs am under the labels are Nuovo Tipo hubs. Super rare would be an authentic track rear hub.

if it were me, time to look for a real track wheel set, full sets often go cheaper. If you find a Campagnolo hub set- keep in mind that the axle nuts are available new still and expensive!
so, look for a set that has all the hardware, nuts and cog lock ring ( also available- Campagnolo uses a wee bit different threading - so also not cheap!)

removing the bearing shields on a bike destined to see road use is borderline poser and stupid. I think good chance the cones may already be toast. The bearings look quite dirty.

Last edited by repechage; 09-12-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 08:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The bike does not seem to have any provision for mounting a brake. Even if you install the missing lockring you still won't have a bike that is safe to ride on the street. The bike is already a fixie, albeit one that is missing a critical part

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-12-20 at 08:59 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-12-20, 09:26 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts
There are some work around for adding a brake. There might have been a tread on this several months ago. The part was not cheap but looked like any easy attachment.
in any case, yeah, you need a wheel with a lock ring. Loosen the cog, the chain comes off, at best you loose some paint, at worst the chain gets between the wheel and the stay.
Old 09-12-20, 09:28 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Here it is

https://www.tracksupermarket.com/bra...set-front.html
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 09-12-20, 09:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by wiston
When I tried to stop with skid the single speed rear wheel just unscrewed from the hub. I didn't check the mechanism earlier :/

I suppose there is no other option how to turn this bike into fixie than buy new rear hub?
Funny thing, not everyone runs lockrings on the track - backpedaling isn't a thing there. As @repechage pointed out, that's a Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo road hub. Someone put the necessary solid axle through it.

Either way, you'll need to replace the rear hub if you want to do skid stops.

Also, if you do decide to put on a front brake, I'd suggest swapping to a road front fork. Those blades are particularly small in diameter and were probably not designed to withstand braking forces.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-12-20, 09:34 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have bought the bike quite cheap and of course I know there are bearing shields missing but I still like it.

I also got the idea that I could buy some coaster brake hub, some older rim from the 70s or 80s and complete the bike like that. I am used to brake with rear wheel and except the coaster brake hub doesn't look so good, for me it wuld still be great bike to ride in the city.

What do you think?
Old 09-12-20, 09:42 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Track frame restored with a SRAM Automatix coaster brake rear hub

I have bought the bike quite cheap and of course I know there are bearing shields missing but I still like it.

I also got the idea that I could buy some coaster brake hub, some older rim from the 70s or 80s and complete the bike like that. I am used to brake with rear wheel and except the coaster brake hub doesn't look so good, for me it wuld still be great bike to ride in the city.

What do you think?

Old 09-12-20, 09:47 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes! It is my imagination of how the bike could look like. I would like the rear hub a little bit smaller and completely chrome and keep the front wheel. So I need to find some tubeless vintage rim and compatible coaster hub. I am not sure about the width of the hub - so I can mount it with the frame?
Old 09-12-20, 09:51 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think that vintage fork with some vintage calipers would be chaper than new rim + hub? And I would like to skid with that bike anyway.
Old 09-12-20, 09:54 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Hi guys,

some time ago I have bought this track bike originally used in Belgium for track races. It is nervex frame with Campagnolo/Cinelli/Brooks hardware. I would like to use it as fixie. After some busy months I have finally found time to ride this bike.

Photos uploaded here on imgbb.com -> The bike photos

Thank you for your advice!
WOW!

That is beautiful, I would not do anything to change it up but leave it as is and get the fixed gear right then find a velodrome.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-12-20, 09:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Yes! It is my imagination of how the bike could look like. I would like the rear hub a little bit smaller and completely chrome and keep the front wheel. So I need to find some tubeless vintage rim and compatible coaster hub. I am not sure about the width of the hub - so I can mount it with the frame?
I think that's a SRAM Automatix - a two-speed kickback. EDIT: An 2-speed with centrifugal weights that control at what cadence the hub shifts. Gives you both a quality coaster and two gears with no extra cables.

Sturmey makes one as well in the all-important, clear anodized aluminum color you wish:
https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche.../dp/B0041X814O

This is, of course, provided you like the idea of a kickback two-speed.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 02-21-21 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-12-20, 10:02 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I think that's a SRAM Automatix - a two-speed kickback. Gives you both a quality coaster and two gears with no extra cables.

Sturmey makes one as well in the all-important, clear anodized aluminum color you wish:
https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche.../dp/B0041X814O

This is, of course, provided you like the idea of a kickback two-speed.

-Kurt
Could you recommend me some without any additional features please? Just the smallest and highest-quality rear coaster brake? I like single speed bike
Old 09-12-20, 10:04 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Could you recommend me some without any additional features please? Just the smallest and highest-quality rear coaster brake? I like single speed bike
Sturmey S1C. Not small, but quality: Sturmey-Archer | S1C Silver

-Kurt

Old 09-12-20, 10:13 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

I don't think that vintage fork with some vintage calipers would be chaper than new rim + hub? And I would like to skid with that bike anyway.
it really depends on what you want to spend. To get a coaster brake, at the very least, you will likely have to build a wheel. Do a quick look on spoke, hub, and rim cost.
If you want low costs, compare those costs to what it would cost to buy a fixer road bike and pull the fork and brake.
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Appears you have a few things visible-

that is an odd rear hub as the flanges are spaced more like a track hub but there is no lock ring left hand section- those are of just slightly smaller diameter. I think that this hub set was originally for a citibike.
I have seen guys try and use a bottom bracket lock ring jammed against the cog ( to fool race officials that want to see a lock ring )
I would not rely on that to hold together for skid stop backpedaling forces.

When I started out fix gear, I used a BB lockring on a reguloar FW hub. First ride I as going ~20 mph and tried to coast to let 3 cars pass and take a left turn. Locked my knee. (My high seat days,) Bike quite nicely shot me in the air, and also quite nicely followed me up since I was solidly strapped in.

Takeaway - a BB lockring works quite nicely! But I wouldn't go there if I planned to make my stops by skidding.
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,032 Times in 1,245 Posts
Looks like a 151 BCD track crank to boot. I'd find a rear campy high flange track hub and rebuild that wheel. Add a wee small front brake and ride it. I rode a track bike in the city often and it wasn't a problem except the strain of keeping one's neck up to see what's coming. I also think it makes you a better, smoother rider overall but some may dismiss that as hooey. I don't.

I'm always shilling for the old F&S Duomatics if you wanted to go that route. Great coaster brakes and the extra gear helps.
A beautiful bike.
Old 09-12-20, 10:26 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The cheapest option is to buy the lock ring. Only thing I am confused about is - can I rely on the ring? Will it handle skidding?
Old 09-12-20, 10:42 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
the cheapest option is to buy the lock ring. Only thing i am confused about is - can i rely on the ring? Will it handle skidding?
No.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-12-20, 10:49 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The cheapest option is to buy the lock ring. Only thing I am confused about is - can I rely on the ring? Will it handle skidding?
If you plan on stopping by skidding on a regular basis, make sure to buy a few extra tires. You will be changing them often. Coaster brakes are able to slow and stop you without skidding. By the way, there is no such thing as a vintage tubeless rim. Road tubeless tires have only been around for about 10-12 years. You are probably thinking of tubular tires which are far too expensive to replace if you skid stop and will wear out far too fast
Old 09-12-20, 10:55 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If you plan on stopping by skidding on a regular basis, make sure to buy a few extra tires. You will be changing them often. Coaster brakes are able to slow and stop you without skidding. By the way, there is no such thing as a vintage tubeless rim. Road tubeless tires have only been around for about 10-12 years
Sorry I don't know the correct word for that...in czech it is "Galusky" and I glue them to the rim. Of course I know all "problems" associated with skidding. I just care about the ring durability and resistance. I think that the lock ring is enough for skid (at least I thought so).
Maybe I've taken a lot of risks in the last few years with ring only but my friends and many fixie riders use just lock rings. What other safety option is there when you want to ride pure fixie brakeless bike?
Old 09-12-20, 10:57 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts

What do you think?
I would not ride a bicycle without a front brake, which provides 70 percent of your braking force when properly used.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-12-20, 10:58 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I would not ride a bicycle without a front brake, which provides 70 percent of your braking force when properly used.
OK...duscussing here pure fixies. Just frame, wheels and single speed hub!
Old 09-12-20, 10:59 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
This is why some folks use left hand drive for fixed gear, because this makes the rear cog self-tightening during deceleration. The only problem is that this makes the pedals self-loosening, unless one can find a front crankset for a crossover drive tandem application.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.