Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Lost a Good Cycling Friend Today

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 09:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I didn’t know that he was even seriously ill. I heard from his wife that he’d passed away this afternoon after being diagnosed with lung cancer two months ago. He was 70+ years old and we’d done a lot of rides together. He was the organizer of our weekly afternoon rides.

I rode with him not long ago as he hadn’t felt good in over a year. Lately he was frustrated because he couldn’t get his heart rate up like he used to. I had dropped back and pulled him back to the group after he’d gotten dropped on a hill. He’d been to the doctor quite a lot over the last year on other issues they never seemed to quite resolve.

I’m stunned that he’s gone. Tailwinds Dan!!!

Last edited by jppe; 12-05-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 10:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, after my bout with thyroid cancer a lot of things changed about my attitudes and choices. Fortunately it didn't metastasize. The thyroid calcified and encapsulated the cancer and surgery got it. I get followup ultrasounds once or twice a year for the remaining thyroid lobe.

There isn't much history of metastatic cancer in my family: leukemia in one great aunt; prostate in my dad. That's enough to make me wary.

But I stopped worrying about some things and do more for myself now, after years of neglecting myself to care for older family.

A local friend is undergoing chemo now, with the usual hair loss. He seems pretty optimistic and more mellow about some things. He's said pretty much the same thing I have -- don't worry so much about the little things. Enjoy the moment more.

And enjoy our people while they're around.
Old 12-06-20, 08:50 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I didn’t know that he was even seriously ill........................I’m stunned that he’s gone. Tailwinds Dan!!!
Saddened to read about the passing of a friend. Sounds as if he was able to maintain some good degree of Quality of Life up to the rather quick end shortly after his diagnosis. Hold on to the fond memories of your personal interactions.
Likes For OldTryGuy: