Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Under-biked...

Old 12-26-20, 09:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Under-biked...

A line of thinking holds that mtn bikes have become so sophisticated that the challenge is gone,

and riding a rigid frame or cx can bring back some interest. So that could mean that while riding a top of the line mtn bike, one is over-biked.

What other points do you see on the over/under spectrum? Electronic shifting? Fatbikes? $10k+ superbikes?
Old 12-26-20, 09:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Why don’t you post your first sentence on the mountain bike forum. Bet you will get some feedback.

Old 12-26-20, 09:50 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I personally don't believe in the under/overbiked thing at all. If the same rider does X.XX time on a course on a rigid/CX bike, they will quite likely annihilate that time on some fancy uber-MTB. But for every guy obsessed with speed and/or marginal gains, there's a guy that doesn't wanna pay for it.

If some guy is toodling around at 14mph on a Cannondale Black Edition, it's not like he's wasting it. Ridin' is ridin'. Plenty of guys buy supercars to get them mired in LA traffic. Wants > needs. By the same token, if someone wants to go full-bore around the local crit course on '80s gas-pipe steel, nothing wrong with that either.
Old 12-26-20, 10:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
A line of thinking holds that mtn bikes have become so sophisticated that the challenge is gone,

and riding a rigid frame or cx can bring back some interest. So that could mean that while riding a top of the line mtn bike, one is over-biked.

?
Thats not really what “overbiked” means.
Old 12-26-20, 10:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts

What other points do you see on the over/under spectrum? Electronic shifting? Fatbikes? $10k+ superbikes?
You should understand the terms before throwing them around.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-26-20, 10:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Thats not really what “overbiked” means.
I always took the term "overbiked" to mean significantly more bike capability than is necessary to the point that it detracts from the joy of using it.

I've only heard it used in the context of full suspension bikes being so cushy & capable with such slack geometry that anything short of riding high speed downhill becomes boring in short order. The implication is rigid or hardtail would be more fun & interesting. eg: on flowy singletrack or fire roads.

But, I suppose it could apply to using a long tail cargo bike or bakfiets where a touring bike & panniers would suffice. Or any other bike at the extreme end of any specialization where a more general purpose bike would be equally suited but more enjoyable.
Old 12-27-20, 01:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I personally don't believe in the under/overbiked thing at all. If the same rider does X.XX time on a course on a rigid/CX bike, they will quite likely annihilate that time on some fancy uber-MTB.
You don't believe in it, yet you just cited an example that defines the term.
Confusing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-27-20, 02:38 AM
phatjonny

Bikes: Cannondale H200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
I have always understood over biked to mean the rider is only able to do a small percentage of what the bike could do with a more experienced rider.

Last edited by phatjonny; 12-27-20 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 05:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
It’s going to be a long winter.
Old 12-27-20, 08:11 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s going to be a long winter.
It already is.
Old 12-27-20, 08:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Under-biked means not riding enough. Over-biked means riding too much.
Old 12-27-20, 08:23 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Underdog is happy with his Underbike.

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-27-20, 08:39 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Whatever gets people off the couch and provides transportation without cars is a good thing.
Old 12-27-20, 09:21 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I began on a fully rigid mtn.bike. Learned to pick good lines and the challenge was fun. That being said, enjoying my hardtail more. If I was younger and riding trails more often, wouldn't mind trying a full susp. But for now, and the amount of riding I manage, the old hardtail will do. Our road bikes aren't up with current tech., but serve us well. I don't FEEL underbiked, guess it all depends of what you think you need, or want.
Old 12-27-20, 09:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

To be fair, there is no official definition of "underbiked". The way it is most commonly used in MTB discussions is a bike with excessive DH capability than is needed for a certain type of riding.

However, it is not synonymous with "too capable" or making things "too easy". Those may be true in some cases depending on one's goals for riding, but it is not really the point.

Being very DH capable, as another poster points out, usually means more travel, longer, and slacker head angles. They also end up being heavier. The issue with this on less technical and/or less steep terrain is not so much that it is too easy or boring, but it can actually be a drawback (at least in the minds of those using the term "overbiked"). A bigger bike is going to be slower on the flats, rolling terrain, and on climbs. It is more work to pedal a heavier bike with more travel. There is a reason you don't see Enduro Bikes in XC races often (and never at the higher levels). Not even in XC races in mountainous "Enduro" terrain. They are slower in these scenarios. In other words, less capable for the task at hand.

Even beyond racing results (which I could care less about 99% of the time), some people simply big bikes less fun when they are not pointed downhill or on rough terrain. They are not as responsive or playful in some scenarios. Less "poppy". So in some ways, they are less capable in that terrain (depending on what you want from your bike).

This is very different than simply being too nice of a bike. A $10K Short travel play bike is going to be more fun for most people than a $1K version of the same type of bike. Also, I don't think anyone would find a top of the line 170mm Enduro Bike to ever be too DH capable and make doing DH runs less fun or boring. Better suspension (for any type of bike) never makes a ride more boring or too easy.

Also, some folks don't even buy the "overbiked" idea. They prefer a big bike regardless of what they are riding, even smooth rolling terrain.

That's my take on this, anyway.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-27-20, 09:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Years ago my wife and I rode the carriage trails at Acadia NP on road bikes with 23s Definitely would have been more enjoyable on MTBs or current gravel bikes. There was no plus side to it, IMO. More recently I've tried local "gravel" rides on 32s. Would have been OK if I was riding alone. With a group, it meant I would catch up on the climbs and drop back on the downhills and creek crossings. No virtue in having the wrong tool for the job.
Old 12-27-20, 10:38 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Why is it always the bike’s fault?

Isn’t it really the rider’s ability.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-27-20, 10:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Whatever kind of ride I'm doing I'd want the bike that is best suited for the job, so there really is no such thing as 'overbiked'. And 'underbiked' means that I was perhaps too lazy to prep a better bike for the ride and end up regretting it because I couldn't keep up with the group.

Riding solo, the bike you have is always exactly the right bike.
Old 12-27-20, 11:03 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
A line of thinking holds that mtn bikes have become so sophisticated that the challenge is gone ???
my under bike has never been over ridden
Old 12-27-20, 11:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Why is it always the bike’s fault?

Isn’t it really the rider’s ability.

John
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-27-20, 11:48 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You really think that red dot exists in this thread?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-27-20, 11:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
I started single track downhill mtn biking on a rigid frame way back before suspension and have to say that on rocky, root infested trails with drops, it would beat the crap out of me in a couple of hours. My body was the shock absorber with bent elbows and bent knees out of the saddle and still it was brutal, and I was in excellent physical condition. Was I over biked for the terrain I chose to ride? Definitely not. If I just used that bike to noodle around on rail/trail conversions it would have been perfect.

To lesson impacts, I grabbed the first front suspension hard tail, and that made a significant difference in enjoyment and duration. Asking the same question, over biked? Nope, because staying out of the saddle to use knees for shock absorption still became tiring and my back still took a beating.

fifteen years ago I bought a full suspension bike and OMG what a difference in comfort, ride ability and longevity of rides. Taking the same trails as my previous bikes was far more enjoyable. Now I must be certainly over biked! Not so fast. The new bike was so much more capable I was now taking the trails faster and doing much more technical descents. In other words, It raised my game to take on more challenge and push the limits. Mountain biking is about conquering technical challenges, conquering fear, and bike handling. With the wrong tool, just like taking slalom skis to a downhill course, it can really is not as enjoyable.

OTOH, riding a full suspension mtn bike on a MUP or rail/trail is definitely “over biked”.

Old 12-27-20, 12:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You really think that red dot exists in this thread?

John
I guess it would be more of a splatter than a dot.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-27-20, 12:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did this summer’s local socially distant XC time trial series on my cross bike. I typically would catch my minute man on the uphills but then they’d recatch me on the descents and then just ride away and I’d never see them again. I’d spend the entire race laser focused on the jagged outcroppings and my hands and arms would be sore and tired after 20 minutes. I usually finished mid-table in my division. It was great, but next year I’m getting a proper MTB.
Old 12-27-20, 12:30 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Underbiked= N-1
Overbiked=N+(>1)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.