Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Scapulothoracic Bursitis - Popping Scapula

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-20, 09:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts

Anyone had this very irritating condition? If so what was your treatment and how long did it take to fully recover?

when I whole heartedly launched back into cycling this year, evidently my upper back and neck muscles were not strong enough for the number of hours I suddenly started spending. A little soreness calmed by a few Ibuprofen has morphed into popping and cracking under my scapula along with pain ranging from dull to sharp based on usage.

Old 12-29-20, 07:39 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I’ve had a winging scapula. I’m not sure if they are related or similar. Winging scapula is a result of thoracic nerve damage. Symptoms were reduced range of shoulder motion, weakness, pain.
Old 12-29-20, 09:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
No, but other bursitis. Is this a doctor's diagnosis? Diagnosis should always be the first step. "To relieve bursitis of the shoulder, avoid doing the things that cause pain." A good treatment for inflammation or suspected inflammation is a course of ibuprofen. My practice is to take 600mg about every 6 hours for a couple days. If the pain goes away, it's inflammation. If it doesn't, it's not inflammation and I stop the ibuprofen and look for another cause. If it is inflammation, I continue the Ibuprofen for maybe a week and see how it goes when I stop.

During the ibuprofen period, I'll stretch and maybe light exercise but not do anything that hurts. For prevention in the future, stretching is always key, but also exercise once the exercises don't hurt. Dumbbells are the best for shoulder and upper back work. Say, bench presses, pullovers, bench dips, one-arm rows, shrugs, lateral raises, front raises, rear raises, seated presses. I advise those new to any exercise to start with 3 sets of 30, all same weight. Pretty hard to get injured doing that if one's form is anything like correct and it builds strength and endurance. The last rep of the last set should be hard, or maybe the last few aren't even possible, fine.
Old 12-30-20, 01:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's been 2.5 years since I was hit by a car, breaking and dislocating my shoulder at the AC joint and dislocating the scapula. It still gives me trouble and probably always will.

I couldn't have surgery when it first happened because of an unrelated problem -- thyroid cancer that constricted and distorted my esophagus, making it impossible to intubate me for shoulder surgery. That took priority and by the time the thyroid surgery was done the shoulder had more or less healed. There's a telltale lump atop the shoulder, typical of AC joint injuries. And the scapula is still winged, although not as bad after a couple of years of physical therapy.

I was in a physical therapy clinic for a few months in 2019 and continue doing PT at home. Lots of range of motion, every day. Moderate weights a couple of times a week, with body weight exercises. On good days I'll do full floor pushups. Other days, I'll push off the counter top, and use the door frames to get more range of motion.

But it still aches every day, worst in the mornings and whenever the weather changes -- barometric pressure shifts. Without surgery it's probably as good as it's going to get. At my age I doubt surgery would make much difference so my docs are waiting to see how the joints hold up.

If you can get into a clinic for exam and recommendation, go with their advice.

Otherwise, check around for appropriate physical therapy for shoulder injuries. There are a few good ones on YouTube, but also many that are junk -- too long, poorly organized and unedited.
Old 05-02-21, 11:33 AM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have winged scapula with impingement on the left. It has not improved for over 5 years, so I try to avoid the impingement.
I get relief by dump bells, pullups, pushups, and foam rolling.

The foam roller is aligned parallel to the spine, centered on t5. Then I roll between scapula, gently, but enough to unpop any impingement/adhesions.
I hear lots of crunching during this.
On good days, I do a handstand by backing into the wall and using my feet to crawl into postion, then hold for about 45s.

When this injury gets worse, the impringement will cause numbness around my left ear and forehead. Its scary, but I can cope with it.
Old 05-05-21, 10:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Need to start a new Wounded Riders Club.

Have been doing PT for a few months which seems to help. Massage therapy feels good but not a solution. My massage therapist recommended acupuncture which I will try. It did help me several years ago with a mtn biking shoulder injury. Will let you know in a few weeks the result.