Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone lifting iron?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone lifting iron?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 10:45 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Anyone lifting iron?

I’m back into the iron game twice a week. Old fashion weights and movements. Except I’m using a Swiss bar instead of a straight bar and a trap bar for deadlifts and other stuff. I have a safety squat bar for squatting on order. Trying to be nice to my spine and shoulders. I’m just curious how other 50+ people that are lifting weights are doing. Staying injury free? What kind of progress? Has it been worth it? Love or hate weight training? I started back in late December and completed 13 sessions so far slowly increasing the weight to make it challenging but not to failure. Leaving a rep or two in the tank. Any input or advice would be appreciated. I realize the younger days are gone and those numbers are out of my mind. Today it is about staying fit and not to deteriorate.
Old 02-03-21, 11:33 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
I built my own Gym in the Garage when we had the recent crisis.
I purposely limited the amount of weights I bought...
I don't want to build big muscles , I just want them to work.
Having some muscle tone helps in falls and accidents.

I avoid lifting heavy weights for these reason.. I personally know of case about an older guy who was in great shape who collapsed while he was lifting really heavy weights from some type of cardiovascular event (stroke or heart attack)
I've also read stories about older former football players having some unfortunate results from using the same weights they used in their playing days.
This is my opinion only People say 60 is the new 40 and 80 is the new 60, but personally I am cautious. I try to do a lot of repetitions with light amounts of weights and to be careful. Its very
easy for us to forget our Age and get carried away.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 02-04-21, 01:37 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Hondo:

I think you have the right idea. Safety first. Remember those excersize's that hurt to do a set. No, it's not because your getting a good workout, Its because we are doing it wrong and will pay the price later. I know people that have either used too much weight or did some dangerous excersize's and had serious problems requiring surgery that never got them back to normal.

I have a resistance training program I follow 3 days a week which includes 9 excersizes with free weights, Dumbells specifically. My thinking is doing 15 -20 reps with up to 1/2 our weight per pair is enough to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. It is a misconception that we must lift heavy weight to get good results. A lighter weight is just as effective for average folks who just want to stay fit at my 64 years as long as the last couple require about 85 - 90% effort.

This takes 45 minutes while streaming spotify music through the 3 speakers in the gym section of my rec room. I find it more rewarding then watching reruns of Star Trek Voyager. But not as rewarding as watching "Star Wars"

I have a near gym quality treadmill I use for cardio work. Between the weight training and cardio work I spend about 5 hours and 20 minutes in my gym per week.

And yes, I still have time to do a few hours of cycling a week, Weather permitting, Which I really love. I cycle for pleasure and adventure, Any fitness improvements are just a side benefit. Which is why I bought a new Giant comfort bike in 2018. That bolt upright riding position, 50mm wide tires and 3 x 7 speed gearset make for a most pleasurable ride on MUP's, trails and roads under nearly any conditions.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 02-04-21 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 05:43 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
”I have a resistance training program I follow 3 days a week which includes 9 excersizes with free weights, Dumbells specifically. My thinking is doing 15 -20 reps with up to 1/2 our weight per pair is enough to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. It is a misconception that we must lift heavy weight to get good results. A lighter weight is just as effective for average folks who just want to stay fit at my 64 years as long as the last couple require about 85 - 90% effort.

I have a near gym quality treadmill I use for cardio work. Between the weight training and cardio work I spend about 6 hours in my gym per week.”

This is pretty much my winter routine, but with 2 times/wk strength training with dumbbells and kettle bells - more reps, less weight. I’ve been doing it for a number of years and past a certain point, I don’t think I’m gaining strength (maybe I should be?) but I seem to be maintaining it vs. age-related muscle loss. I also do intervals on an elliptical machine or stationary bike to stay in anaerobic shape and I run to try to keep aerobically fit. Some of this falls by the way in summer in favor of riding. One summer I stopped strength training completely and I found that my bike performance got worse - or so I imagined.

I’m fortunate in that our local gym is open. They take a bunch of COVID related precautions and I live in a state and a county that have had low rates of the virus.
Old 02-04-21, 07:33 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
I built my own Gym in the Garage when we had the recent crisis.
I purposely limited the amount of weights I bought...
I don't want to build big muscles , I just want them to work.
Having some muscle tone helps in falls and accidents.

I avoid lifting heavy weights for these reason.. I personally know of case about an older guy who was in great shape who collapsed while he was lifting really heavy weights from some type of cardiovascular event (stroke or heart attack)
I've also read stories about older former football players having some unfortunate results from using the same weights they used in their playing days.
This is my opinion only People say 60 is the new 40 and 80 is the new 60, but personally I am cautious. I try to do a lot of repetitions with light amounts of weights and to be careful. Its very
easy for us to forget our Age and get carried away.
I don't know that one example and football or even any ex athlete is a good baseline for any life choices. When it comes to athletes they don't always have the most natural ways of staying fit.

I think the biggest consideration for any home work out is if you are alone and hitting heavy weights that is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-04-21, 07:59 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Honda, yes I pump iron a bit in the winter, winter only. I have three routines, targeted at cardio, strength (actually maintaining vs increasing) and flexibility. After years of trying, I finally abandoned any notions of bulking up this skinny carcas. I'm only targeted at not loosing strength over the winter. I'm on my 70th trip around the neighborhood, close to surpassing my father's record. Each routine is named:

The Dance (as in the hurt dance): about 30 minutes of cardio on either the stationary bike trainer or on the rollers. Then 45 minutes with stretching and dumb bells. Only 10lb each but it exercises all the major bones and joints. 3 sets.

The Slide: about 30 minutes on the ancient NordicTrack ski machine. Then a 3 sets of stretching and flexibility exercises.

The Moan (as in moaning and groaning): all stretching and resistance stuff. 3 sets of elements targeting VMO, core and lower back strength, hamstring flexibility and stretching. I use a 10lbs dumb bell for single leg deadlifts in this routine and on other occasions as I keep it handy.

So, yes all as boring as can be but worth it. My GP says I'm in very good shape for a skinny old fart. "Don't change anything." I suppose it all helps me survive snow shoveling and keeps me looking forward to yard work in the spring.
Old 02-04-21, 08:45 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
love lifting, but where to do it? You guys that built a home gym bravo
Old 02-04-21, 08:47 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I’m at 53 years so I guess a young old. Reading over the responses has been a great help. I tend go extreme to much and burn out and get hurt. At 48 I busted my guts deadlifting so a triple hernia operation followed. Return to the bikes soon after but not the weights. I took all the weight equipment out of the barn and assembled a gym in the garage. At times the surgical areas get tender so I back off. If it hurts I’m going to stop. Containing the ego is challenging at times. I’m also impeded with dupuytrens contracture so I’m working around several hand operations. Trying to be smart about training because I’m not ready for the couch.
Old 02-04-21, 08:52 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I've been using weights since my teenage years so it's part of my Life routine. Never went crazy with heavy weights but just enough to get the muscles going and build up a sweat.
At 61, I use weights to keep up my strength which helps the bones stay strong. I focus more on multiple reps with lighter weights at about 75%. When I feel a bit of joint pain I'll back off never pushing the limit. It takes too long now to recover from even minor aches caused by weights.
Gotta keep moving or things will start to seize up......
Old 02-04-21, 09:13 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I lift weights 4 days a week. Chest, shoulders and tricepts on Mondays and Thursdays and Bi's, back and neck on Tuesday and Fridays. I use Wednesdays as a leg day in the winter months. Leg days during daylight savings time is everyday on the bike. I do up to 18 reps for 3 sets with a weight I'm comfortable with but struggle the last few reps. Once I get to 18 reps with little difficulty on the 3rd set, I go up 5 lbs (per dumbell) and start the process all over. I cleared out a file room in my office building and have my bench and dumbells in there. I go back there every day at 2:00 and everyone in my office knows it.

My advice it to start slow and progress even more slowly. When your body allows for the increased stresses, increase reps or weight.

I'm 53 as well.
Old 02-04-21, 12:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I was thinking the back and biceps then chest and triceps then legs scheme. Riding hits the legs already several times a week. I like training each body part twice a week. Trap bar deadlifts are butt kickers that get almost every muscle, those I did today. Going to ride today before another buzz killing cold front hits tonight. 81 degrees and sunny.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 02-04-21, 02:03 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I do various flexor/extensor exercises up and down in weights with the dumbbell rack, plus stepping, lunges, super sets. I'm not powerlifting, more toning than bulking.
Old 02-04-21, 06:07 PM
5 mph

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
love lifting, but where to do it? You guys that built a home gym bravo
I had to because I'm a flip flop rider myself
Old 02-04-21, 06:20 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
The reason I got into cycling after a looooooong hiatus was because of gym closures last year. I'd been lifting for 5 years 3-4 days a week non-stop. I had the biggest arms and chest I'd ever had in my life. After about 6 months of the lock-down, I finally decided I had to do something at least, so I got my first vintage bike, now I'm on the 4th, shipped one to a BF member in WI and have 3 for myself. I've actually lost all of my gut and am closest in weight to my late 20's. My arms and chest still look decent, but not like they were. I bought some dumbbells in the past few months after I was actually able to find a store with any inventory NOT charging $2 per pound! I do find it harder to stick to a routine at home vs. going to the gym though. I had a chance to bench a few weeks ago at a project I was working on, I kept staring at it, finally laid on it and did some reps, it felt so good and I can't wait to be back in the gym.

I don't know if it's ironic or what you'd call it, but my late 40's to my current early 50's I am easily in the best shape I'd been in since my mid 20's, probably even better because all I did then was Mtn. Bike, no lifting. Anyhow it's nice to be this old and still be as fit as guys half our age.
Old 02-04-21, 07:56 PM
lokerola

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Yep. I lift 2 days a week. I do compound lifts on Tuesday and Thursdays. I lift heavy (for me) on Tuesday's and light (for me) on Thursday's. Always focused on compound lifts first, a few light to medium accessory lifts, a few core movements, and end with stretching.

I am not a strength athlete, but at my age 52 (soon to be 53), it keeps me limber and strong-enough for cycling and general life "stuff". Again, my "heavy" days would make a strength athlete laugh. But I'm doing it to better a better human and a better cyclist.

More than two days a week of lifting and I blow up on the bike. I find the heavy/light programming works for me. I can't crush heavy lifts two days a week, so I split my week into an A/B split:
A= Deadlifts/Overhead Press
B= Squats/Bench

So it looks like this (Tues are always heavy and Thu are always light):
Week 1: Tues A Heavy (deads/ohp), Thu Light (squats/bench)
Week 2: Tues B Heavy (squats/bench), Thu Light (deads/ohp)

Repeat weekly during the off season.
Once summer hits I may drop the Thu light session and just lift heavy one day a week on Tue and leave Thu for a recovery day.

Compound lifts: Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Bench
Accessory Lifts: Curls, Tricep Press, Kettlebell Rows, Overhead Walks with Kettlebells. Bent Press's, Pushups, etc.
Core: Planks, Side Planks, Weighted Sit Ups, Leg Lifts, Flutter Kicks, etc.
Stretch: Hamstring and Hip Stretches, Foam Rolling (esp. for thoracic spine).

Likes For lokerola:
Old 02-05-21, 12:49 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've been doing this 3 day dumbbell workout in the off-season for the last few years in the off-season. Planning to keep it going year-round starting this year.
Old 02-05-21, 01:04 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I've been doing this 3 day dumbbell workout in the off-season for the last few years in the off-season. Planning to keep it going year-round starting this year.
You'll be surprised how much it helps your cycling. Keep at it.
Old 02-05-21, 01:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I like trap bar deadlifting not crazy weight but 3-5 sets of 8. I believe will transfer over to cycling well. After an hour of compound exercises I’m shot but have the feeling of making process. Stimulated not Decimated is the best way I can say it. I confess I do biceps curls and we all know why we do them
Old 02-06-21, 08:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I try to do a couple of days a week using elastic bands and a weight machine. Lighter weights, more reps.

Rehabbing from back surgery last year and a shoulder injury before that.

No one will mistake me for Charles Atlas.
Old 02-06-21, 01:03 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Depends on the season and whether or not I can or want to ride (today it's snowing, 19 degrees with 20 mph wind.) My weights (dumbbells and one bar) and exercise band workouts per day are: Chest and shoulders, arms and back, legs. Sets are interspersed with yoga and stretches to maintain flexibility. So for a cold week like this one, I will do weights 4-5 times with a full yoga/stretch routine and a day or two for recovery. When I can get out on the bike, I'll do one day of bike and a day of resistance. Rinse and repeat. I'm 76.
Old 02-06-21, 05:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by lokerola
Yep. I lift 2 days a week. I do compound lifts on Tuesday and Thursdays. I lift heavy (for me) on Tuesday's and light (for me) on Thursday's. Always focused on compound lifts first, a few light to medium accessory lifts, a few core movements, and end with stretching.

I am not a strength athlete, but at my age 52 (soon to be 53), it keeps me limber and strong-enough for cycling and general life "stuff". Again, my "heavy" days would make a strength athlete laugh. But I'm doing it to better a better human and a better cyclist.

More than two days a week of lifting and I blow up on the bike. I find the heavy/light programming works for me. I can't crush heavy lifts two days a week, so I split my week into an A/B split:
A= Deadlifts/Overhead Press
B= Squats/Bench

So it looks like this (Tues are always heavy and Thu are always light):
Week 1: Tues A Heavy (deads/ohp), Thu Light (squats/bench)
Week 2: Tues B Heavy (squats/bench), Thu Light (deads/ohp)

Repeat weekly during the off season.
Once summer hits I may drop the Thu light session and just lift heavy one day a week on Tue and leave Thu for a recovery day.

Compound lifts: Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Bench
Accessory Lifts: Curls, Tricep Press, Kettlebell Rows, Overhead Walks with Kettlebells. Bent Press's, Pushups, etc.
Core: Planks, Side Planks, Weighted Sit Ups, Leg Lifts, Flutter Kicks, etc.
Stretch: Hamstring and Hip Stretches, Foam Rolling (esp. for thoracic spine).
Looking into the Deads and Press then Squat and Bench like you are doing. With the usual accessories aka lat work etc etc. I’m finding full body in one session is wearing me out. Manageable if I didn’t ride bikes but I won’t give up riding it’s too endorphin inducing. Splitting it into two sections that work well together might be a go.
Old 02-06-21, 07:05 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Absolutely yes, although I usually use the resistance machines at the local YMCA, which has converted the covered periphery of one of its patios into an outdoor gym. I go early in the morning when they first open, making social distancing pretty easy.

I took up weight lifting about 25 years ago when I began to appreciate the importance of maintaining upper body skeletal and muscle mass, and I do my 30-minute routine 3 days/week, weather permitting. I figure walking/jogging + cycling + weights makes a pretty reasonable fitness regimen.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-07-21, 12:48 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Been lifting for about 40 years (4x a week for a long time, but when I got more into biking down to 3x), so it's a lifestyle thing. But I had to leave town to take care of my Dad for a year and a half so haven't been in the gym. (There was plenty of work to do at his place getting it and a commercial body/repair shop ready to sell). Got back home with Dad now last Oct and fortunately the army base gym I use opened to other than active duty in Nov so I have been back to my routine.

At 67 I haven't done squats or deadlifts in years. I only use free weights now for bench, curl, upright row, and wrist curls. Everything else I use machines (nautilus), as the Army puts a lot of morale funding into the gym equipment. The troops seem to be into olympic style lifting (clean and jerk/snatch). Not sure that's going to last into your old age.

My main issues are joint pain, and that's when I started getting into the machines as they do a good job of isolating muscles while keeping joints safe.

scott s.
Old 02-07-21, 11:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
I do PT 45 mins a day for a bad back and shoulder bursitis. Use resistance bands and a large ball. Was always more into cardio, but did lift 5 days a week for 15 years when I bike commuted to work.

Old 02-08-21, 03:48 AM
Otpcoolkat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do calisthenics 2 times a week and weight training once. For me this is ideal as the weights give that massive strain on the muscles, but the body training hits other mouscle groups which are great for biking and running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.