Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bike around $1000 with good hill-climbing capability

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 02-14-21, 08:18 PM
foo4542

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I know next to nothing about bikes and having a hard time picking a bike. Some of my requirements are:
  • Excellent hill-climbing capability (so low gears and lightweight I assume) as I live in a hilly area in Australia. This is important.
  • Flatbar
  • Mostly commuting to work and weekend riding. No rough trails.
I'm willing to spend around USD$1000 (AUD$1300). Could anyone give me some suggestions that fit the criteria above? I'll see if my local stores have them in stock so that I can try them out.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-15-21, 06:48 AM
foo4542

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been eyeing Giant Cross City 0 Disc 2019. Anything else I should be looking at?
Old 02-15-21, 07:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
To understate, now is not the best time to be looking for a new bike. New hybrids are in very short supply (if any supply), at least here in the U.S. I'd be calling around the bike shops in your area to see what is available, and maybe try out what they have, or if ordering (rather see ya buy local), research the reviews. The shop you buy from is going to be important, since you state you know little about bikes. A good shop can help you choose which bike might work best for you. Maybe check with a local bike club to see which shops have a good reputation. Plus, a good shop can offer advice on maintenance, and service after the sale. Sounds like you might be looking for a "Fitness" style hybrid. Happy Hunting, and welcome to BF.
Old 02-15-21, 11:38 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by foo4542
Been eyeing Giant Cross City 0 Disc 2019. Anything else I should be looking at?
Given your criteria, that looks like a great choice. The 26/34 combo would give you a nice low gear ratio of 0.765. So assuming you can find one and assuming it fits you well, then go for it.

As for other options like that, they're often called fitness hybrids or flat bar road bikes. If you tell us what other brands you have available nearby, we could suggest certain models within those brands. The main thing once you find one is to get on it and try it out to make sure it fits. If you're looking to compare the climbing capabilities, it's just a matter of dividing the lowest number on the crankset by the highest number on the cassette - the lower that number is, the better it will be for climbing.
Likes For AU Tiger:
Old 02-15-21, 11:46 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Also check out Merida. The Crossway is their trekking type hybrid (like a Giant Roam) and the Crossway Urban is their more general hybrid (like the Giant Cross City, known as the Escape in other markets). The Speeder is their flatbar road bike, like a Giant Fastroad.

The Merida Crossway editions are really nice bikes, but they didn't release 2021 year models (in mid 2020) of their Urban range. The Merida Crossway Urban edition is really, really cool IMO, but availability is a big question. I'd be calling up Aussie Merida dealers and asking about them.

The Crossway trekking version with the Suntour 63mm fork is also a very decent bike, designed by Germans for touring, so it has the Euro flat bar with Suntour 63 mm fork thing going on. A Surly ECR 29+ fork has basically exactly the same axle-to-crown measurement as a Suntour 63 mm fork, but you would need to change the headset etc.

Also check out the Giant Toughroad; it's not just an offroad tourer.

Lastly, I'd be calling bike shops right now trying to secure an upcoming 2022 model.
Old 02-25-21, 09:29 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I won't try to suggest a brand, but will offer the following suggested criteria:
  • proper gearing for climbing
  • a triple crank will likely give you the best hill climbing gearing
  • tires with a light tread will work better than a heavy or knobby tread for your stated riding purposes
  • the lighter the bike the easier (in most cases) it is to climb a hill
  • make sure that the bike fits
    • It will be more comfortable and more efficient
  • a non suspension fork will be much lighter and much more efficient, particularly on smooth roads and hills
    • a suspension fork can add +/-3 lbs
    • a suspension fork saps energy particularly when climbing
Good luck and be well.