Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thule EVO Raised Rail vs Rapid Crossroad foot pack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 01:14 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts

Hope someone has experience with roof racks which mount to existing factory racks. I have a Hyundai Tucson with roof rails. Trying to figure which foot pack.

The Thule rapid crossroads feet look like they attach in a C clamp configuration. Looks easier to get on and off but I wonder how secure it is and if it pulls on the factory rails when tightened. The EVO raised rail feet have rubber coated metal straps. Looks more cumbersome but more secure.

Anyone have experience with these and recommendations? Thank you in advance.

Mike
Old 02-26-21, 03:25 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm familiar with Thule Roof Racks as I have had a few of them in my time. I generally love them. You might already know but Thule provides a fit guide on its website so you can check the correct foot pack for your vehicle base on year, make, and model : Fit my car | Thule | USA .

The 'rapid' or "R" symbol stands for Aero or Aeroblade bars. The Thule foot pack also comes in either the square load bar configuration called Thule 450 Crossroad without the "R" or rapid or with the Aeroblade which has the "R" denoted or "rapid". I'm guessing you're interested in the Aeroblade which is what I would pick over the square bars but square bar roof racks are a little bit cheaper. The Aeroblade is more fuel efficient and quieter than the Thule Square Bars so you don't need to add a Thule fairing or windscreen like you would with the square bar to dampen the wind noise.

With respect to the foot pack, they are probably just as easy to get on and off as the Thule EVO Raised Rail design. The thing to note on the EVO Raised Rail is to make sure that the mouth of the foot pack is extends wide enough to clamp the manufacturer's railing.

Once you've set up your Thule Roof Rack and you have learned how to installed it properly onto your vehicle the first time, it takes no more than 5 minutes or so to put it on again.
Both foot pack designs comes with built in tool to tighten it onto the railing of your vehicle so it is super easy.

The key is set the correct span and distance between bars as recommended by Thule. Tip: Once I've done this measurement, I use Scotch tape onto the vehicle and mark it. Therefore, whenever I have to reinstall my Thule roof rack, I don't have to measure anything again and know where to install it exactly. Similar to taping the seat height trick on your bike.

Watch these videos and you'll get a very quick idea how easy it is to install the Thule Roof Rack:

How to install a Thule Rapid Crossroad Roof Rack

How to install a Thule Evo Raised Rail Roof Rack

Tip: I normally take my Thule Roof Rack off when not in use. It save on fuel. Also, Thule internals have a bolt that will weather and rust if left for long durations on the vehicle. I've have my Thule 480 Roof Rack for about 6 years now and it is still working beautifully.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-26-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 05:04 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Thank you. They both look easy to install. The newer 450R rapid crossroads comes with the same aerobar now. Both will fit my 2013 Tucson. That's the problem. I have to make a choice and over analyze.

The videos do help. The 450R rapid crossroads look more secure with the straps. Looking at the questions on etrailer it looks like it also fits more factory raised rails Still thinking but leaning toward the crossroads.
Old 02-26-21, 05:21 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Thank you. They both look easy to install. The newer 450R rapid crossroads comes with the same aerobar now. Both will fit my 2013 Tucson. That's the problem. I have to make a choice and over analyze.

The videos do help. The 450R rapid crossroads look more secure with the straps. Looking at the questions on etrailer it looks like it also fits more factory raised rails Still thinking but leaning toward the crossroads.
If you don't care about the aestetics of one or the other, then for myself, I always narrow it down to price if I had to choose between one or the other.

Tip: If you don't mind a used rack, you can often find really great deals on them on Ebay and have it shipped to you. I bought all my Thule racks used on Ebay. Just make sure you get the right length on the Aerobars or Thule square bars depending on which one you want. Also, depending on what you want to carry, you can sometimes decide to go with longer bars. In the summer, I have my Thule cargo box on one side, and a bike rack on the other. I have slightly longer bars than what was recommended by Thule in order to have more on my roof roof. Just be aware that there is a max weight capacity depending on your vehicle.
Old 02-26-21, 06:54 PM
biker128pedal

I normally use an Allen hitch rack for the HT mountain bike. I want a roof rank for my canoe and in the future a FS mountain bike. I have an old Thule rail I can use with adapters. The Ebay prices for used look good and . Even rood if I need parts. I know enough now to pick the right parts.
Old 02-26-21, 07:06 PM
dmeans2anend

I have also a Thule T2 hitch rack. I absolutely love it. I don't have to lift the bike onto the roof of the vehicle. Since I have a hatchback, the T2 can tilt back without removing the bikes and allow me to still open the hatchback.

Regarding the Thule foot pack or any used Thule foot pack, you want to check with the Ebay Seller that there is no 'rusting' on the internal bolt. My friend had one Thule 450 foot that rusted on the inside and you couldn't turn it with the tool to tighten the strap. He ended up having to buy a spare foot. Be sure you're not getting a 'rusted' one. You won't be able to see the rusting but check with the Seller and you should be 'protected' by Ebay if the Seller states that it is rust free in an Ebay message (you need to save to file) and it ends up being a problem when you receive it.

Good luck on your search! Enjoy your Thule. I love all of mine Thule products. They are built to last and not like the flimsy made in China copy cats.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-26-21 at 07:43 PM.
Likes For dmeans2anend:
Old 03-30-21, 09:25 PM
partyanimal

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
Hi Mike,

I'm familiar with Thule Roof Racks as I have had a few of them in my time. I
Since you're familiar, wondering if I can add to this thread with a question:
I'm looking for racks for my 2013 Audi A3. It doesn't have built in rails and has the glass roof. I found my parts on the Thule site but a bit confused by the actual bars. The results say I need the 50" bars but when I click on them it comes up 53". I'm sure there's an absolute minimum and maximum length for each car but can you use different length bars for your car? Like is it a deal breaker if I put 50" instead of 53"? Assuming both are wide enough to span the roof and connect to the feet. I'm just using for bikes and don't want something that sticks out too far, plus I've had a hard time finding any 53" and have found quite a few 50". (I'm looking for used stuff).
I know I'll need to get the fit kit specific to my car.
Old 03-30-21, 11:41 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by partyanimal
Since you're familiar, wondering if I can add to this thread with a question:
I'm looking for racks for my 2013 Audi A3. It doesn't have built in rails and has the glass roof. I found my parts on the Thule site but a bit confused by the actual bars. The results say I need the 50" bars but when I click on them it comes up 53". I'm sure there's an absolute minimum and maximum length for each car but can you use different length bars for your car? Like is it a deal breaker if I put 50" instead of 53"? Assuming both are wide enough to span the roof and connect to the feet. I'm just using for bikes and don't want something that sticks out too far, plus I've had a hard time finding any 53" and have found quite a few 50". (I'm looking for used stuff).
I know I'll need to get the fit kit specific to my car.
It depends which type of load bar you choose. There are two options for load bars: 1) Wing Bar (or Aeroblade Bars) OR 2) Square Load Bars.

Per Thule for your specific vehicle, if you decide to go with Wing Bars (or called Aeroblade bars for the previous model) 53" bars are required.
If you decide on the Square Load Bars, then you will need 50".

Since you are looking for used, the Aeroblade is probably easier to find than the Wing Bars. Aeroblade bars come in standard lengths of 47", 53", and 60". I don't believe they come in 50" lengths. I think the 50" length is new for the Wing Bars.

Ideally, the Aeroblade or Wing Bars are much more quiet and more fuel efficient then the Square Bars. I personally have the Aeroblade bars on my vehicle and I love it.
However, if you want to carry a heavy load like a canoe or kayak, then square bars are recommended as they are much more sturdy and can take the beating from getting banged up.
To keep the noise down with square load bars, you have the option to buy a Thule Fairing or WindScreen. Some folks like the look of them because it looks sporty but I personally prefer spending a little more on the roof rack and go with the Aeroblade and not have a lot parts associated with roof rack. Just more stuff to loose or break. I highly recommend taking your rack off of the vehicle if your not using it. It preserves the foot mounts as weathering can cause the internals of it to rust and wear out.

Some folks like longer bars on their vehicle because they want to put a cargo box on one side and have on the other side a bike rack or squeeze in a ski rack, etc.
Per Thule, the maximum weight limit is 165 lbs.

If you're handy with a power tool, you always have the option to cut up your bar length if you don't want it extended too far out. But you probably reduce your resell value as the Thule Roof Rack are very expensive and most want the standard sizes. Also, if you get another vehicle, your existing roof rack with the standard bars might fit the other vehicle by simply buying another fit kit specific for that vehicle. If you are buying used and can't find your length, you could always buy longer length (ie 60" bars and cut to 50" bars required for your vehicle).

Now that I've said all that.... If you are looking for just a bike rack, have you consider the Thule T2 bike rack that is hitched mounted? I have the Thule T2 bike rack as well and it is so nice to load the bikes on the vehicle and still be able to open the hatch by simply tilting the bike rack backwards with the bikes still mounted on the bike rack. However, you'll need a hitch on your vehicle to install it. I have often seen the Thule T2 on sale used as well. I prefer the T2 over the rooftop bike mounts especially if you are vertically changed and don't have to load your bike all the way up the vehicle's rooftop.

I do road trips in the summer and have my Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack to haul a cargo box and use the Thule T2 bike rack to haul my bike. It's a great setup and so convenient.
Old 03-31-21, 07:34 AM
partyanimal

It depends which type of load bar you choose. There are two options for load bars: 1) Wing Bar (or Aeroblade Bars) OR 2) Square Load Bars.

Per Thule for your specific vehicle, if you decide to go with Wing Bars (or called Aeroblade bars for the previous model) 53" bars are required.
If you decide on the Square Load Bars, then you will need 50".

Since you are looking for used, the Aeroblade is probably easier to find than the Wing Bars. Aeroblade bars come in standard lengths of 47", 53", and 60". I don't believe they come in 50" lengths. I think the 50" length is new for the Wing Bars.

Ideally, the Aeroblade or Wing Bars are much more quiet and more fuel efficient then the Square Bars. I personally have the Aeroblade bars on my vehicle and I love it.
However, if you want to carry a heavy load like a canoe or kayak, then square bars are recommended as they are much more sturdy and can take the beating from getting banged up.
To keep the noise down with square load bars, you have the option to buy a Thule Fairing or WindScreen. Some folks like the look of them because it looks sporty but I personally prefer spending a little more on the roof rack and go with the Aeroblade and not have a lot parts associated with roof rack. Just more stuff to loose or break. I highly recommend taking your rack off of the vehicle if your not using it. It preserves the foot mounts as weathering can cause the internals of it to rust and wear out.

Some folks like longer bars on their vehicle because they want to put a cargo box on one side and have on the other side a bike rack or squeeze in a ski rack, etc.
Per Thule, the maximum weight limit is 165 lbs.

If you're handy with a power tool, you always have the option to cut up your bar length if you don't want it extended too far out. But you probably reduce your resell value as the Thule Roof Rack are very expensive and most want the standard sizes. Also, if you get another vehicle, your existing roof rack with the standard bars might fit the other vehicle by simply buying another fit kit specific for that vehicle. If you are buying used and can't find your length, you could always buy longer length (ie 60" bars and cut to 50" bars required for your vehicle).

Now that I've said all that.... If you are looking for just a bike rack, have you consider the Thule T2 bike rack that is hitched mounted? I have the Thule T2 bike rack as well and it is so nice to load the bikes on the vehicle and still be able to open the hatch by simply tilting the bike rack backwards with the bikes still mounted on the bike rack. However, you'll need a hitch on your vehicle to install it. I have often seen the Thule T2 on sale used as well. I prefer the T2 over the rooftop bike mounts especially if you are vertically changed and don't have to load your bike all the way up the vehicle's rooftop.

I do road trips in the summer and have my Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack to haul a cargo box and use the Thule T2 bike rack to haul my bike. It's a great setup and so convenient.
Thanks! This is great information. I'm leaning towards the square bars for a few reasons - we don't have them yet but do plan to buy kayaks, hopefully this season. Also, my car is the slightly older of both our cars so I'm just kinda looking for a cheaper solution to use my car for more local trips. If we put racks on her newer Q3 we'll probably buy new and go with the Wing Bars.
The clarification about 50" square vs 53" Aero makes sense now - it's confusing on Thule's site. I'm not super concerned about aerodynamics or noise, I really don't drive much if I don't have to.

Also, am I correct in my assumption that if Thule recommends the Evo Clamp Feet for my A3 that the older 480/480R would also work?
Old 04-01-21, 08:37 PM
dmeans2anend

Also, am I correct in my assumption that if Thule recommends the Evo Clamp Feet for my A3 that the older 480/480R would also work?
Yes. The older 480 / 480R foot mounts will work for your vehicle but you must get the associated Thule Fit Kit that goes with the Thule 480 / 480R foot mounts and NOT the new Thule Fit Kit 145085 that goes with the Thule Evo Clamps only. I believe the correct Thule fit kit for the 480/480R is Thule 5085.

You might already know that the new design of the Thule Evo Clamps allows for attachment to either a Wing Bar or a Square Bar as both load bars have slots to slide the Evo Clamps onto it. Thule simplify the design of the foot mounts so that it will fit either load bars. It wasn't always this way as previously you had to buy the correct Thule Foot Mount.

Wth the older Thule 480 design, the attachment points on the foot mounts to either the Aeroblade Bar or the Square Bar are different. The Thule 480R foot mount has metal knob at the top that slides into the slot of the Aeroblade while the Thule 480 foot mount has a square opening that allows the square bar to slide into. Make sure you buy the correct foot mount depending on what you want.

Thule 480R Foot Mount for Aeroblade Load Bars:

Thule 480 Foot Mount for Square Bars:
Old 04-01-21, 09:43 PM
partyanimal

Yes. The older 480 / 480R foot mounts will work for your vehicle but you must get the associated Thule Fit Kit that goes with the Thule 480 / 480R foot mounts and NOT the new Thule Fit Kit 145085 that goes with the Thule Evo Clamps only. I believe the correct Thule fit kit for the 480/480R is Thule 5085.

You might already know that the new design of the Thule Evo Clamps allows for attachment to either a Wing Bar or a Square Bar as both load bars have slots to slide the Evo Clamps onto it. Thule simplify the design of the foot mounts so that it will fit either load bars. It wasn't always this way as previously you had to buy the correct Thule Foot Mount.

Wth the older Thule 480 design, the attachment points on the foot mounts to either the Aeroblade Bar or the Square Bar are different. The Thule 480R foot mount has metal knob at the top that slides into the slot of the Aeroblade while the Thule 480 foot mount has a square opening that allows the square bar to slide into. Make sure you buy the correct foot mount depending on what you want.

Thanks again. I'm looking at used set ups, hopefully get something all together and just have to buy the fit kit for my car.
Old 04-02-21, 09:30 AM
partyanimal

What' the shortest length bar I can go with, assuming it actually fits? I measured my roof and it seems even the 50" bars would stick out further than I'd like them to. Is there any danger in going with shorter bars?
Old 04-02-21, 10:40 AM
dmeans2anend

What' the shortest length bar I can go with, assuming it actually fits? I measured my roof and it seems even the 50" bars would stick out further than I'd like them to. Is there any danger in going with shorter bars?
As I previously stated: "If you're handy with a power tool, you always have the option to cut up your bar length if you don't want it extended too far out. " Regarding if there are any dangers, I can't image any as long as the clamps and foot mounts are appropriately attached and tightened correctly. The disadvantage is that Thule load bar is now only specific to your rooftop and not any other vehicle. However, I would contact Thule directly and ask them because there may be reasons why you do not want to go shorter that I am not aware of. Thule Customer service: 1 (800) 238-2388

It is better to be absolutely sure and safe because you definitely don't want your Thule roof rack to come off while your driving.