Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Pain of tire swaps

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Pain of tire swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 08:48 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Pain of tire swaps

I find myself swapping tires regularly for my bikes. I've avoided using tubeless for my fat bike for that reason. But in the snow the right psi I've found to be more crucial than on dirt.
I usually keep one set tubeless and the backup wheels with tubes which allows for tire swaps. So for the winter, are any of you setting up one set with studs and the second without. I find having a second set so much easier, even though storage can be an issue at times. Which set do you think would benefit more for tubeless? Studded set are Vee Snowshoe XLs and non-studded are Bud/Lous
Old 10-28-19, 07:45 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Vee suck. Studs wear out in 300 km an they don't work that well to begin with. Get something better, or ride your regular tires. I had Vee studded, but now just ride the original tires.

Do you need 3 different tire types? Why?
Maximum 2 types, or get an additional bike for those ride conditions.

Edit: after wearing out the Vee studs I removed the studs to use up the tire in summer. They also suck in summer. I thought I lost all my trail skills after winter. But the put my original Maxxis back on and the bike rode much better. Never again will I get cheap tires. Life is too short...

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 10-28-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-28-19, 09:15 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Vee suck. Studs wear out in 300 km an they don't work that well to begin with. Get something better, or ride your regular tires. I had Vee studded, but now just ride the original tires.

Do you need 3 different tire types? Why?
Maximum 2 types, or get an additional bike for those ride conditions.

Edit: after wearing out the Vee studs I removed the studs to use up the tire in summer. They also suck in summer. I thought I lost all my trail skills after winter. But the put my original Maxxis back on and the bike rode much better. Never again will I get cheap tires. Life is too short...
I only have two tire types, dirt and snow, I only swap in the snow set when there's snow which hasn't been great for the past few winters. Maxxis doesn't really make a good floating tire like the Dillinger. In the winter we do get a fair amount of ice flows on the trails which makes studs life savers for me. I'm getting a set of Lou/bud next month but rather not stud them. The price is fairly comparable for the Snowshoes which are 90 and the Surlys are 120. For rocks and dirt here in the NE, the favorite tires are either Jumbo Jims or Barbegazis.
Old 10-28-19, 09:30 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
The Maxxis came with my bike and are good aggreesive tires. Not the best for snow, though. But ironically better in snow than the winter-dedicated Vee. Once they wear out, I probably look into some 45nrth, terrene or other boutique make for better snow perfomance without studs.

If I ever use a second set of tires like you, I'd get a second set of wheels. First, the second set would be 29+ or so. Second, tubeless is priceless, but changing tires suck. Especially used stretched tires.

Or N+1 bike for dirt vs snow.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 11-19-19, 08:40 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Spendy but worth it to....

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The Maxxis came with my bike and are good aggreesive tires. Not the best for snow, though. But ironically better in snow than the winter-dedicated Vee. Once they wear out, I probably look into some 45nrth, terrene or other boutique make for better snow perfomance without studs.

If I ever use a second set of tires like you, I'd get a second set of wheels. First, the second set would be 29+ or so. Second, tubeless is priceless, but changing tires suck. Especially used stretched tires.

Or N+1 bike for dirt vs snow.

Yeah broke down & had my LBS build a second set of wheels (27.5") WTB hoops w/DTS hubs/spokes/nipples), 2.8" WTB (also) mounted tubeless & w/ 2nd SRAM GX 12 sp cassette....no issues w/ chain length for (daily, if needed) switching wheels during shoulder seasons for quick trips to Fruits, Moab & Phil's-Cortez w/o any need for tools.
Likes For stormpeakco: