Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Broke a bead on my tire - am I doing it wrong?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 07:23 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

In my quest for winter traction, I found a pair of Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires for my fat bike. My rims are Mulefut 80's set up tubeless with Sun brand rim tape. Anyways, while inflating the front tire to seat the bead, one side blew off the rim... Not sure of the exact pressure, but my pump was under 20psi and it tends to read higher than reality. Now, the side that blew off definitely has a broken bead and won't stay on the rim. I really think that it broke when it blew off - both beads needed some tire lever assistance to get on the rim but now the side with the broken bead can be easily slipped on.

I've got the other tire on the same rim and holding air but stopped at under 10psi. I'm nervous to put more in now and if I push the sidewall back I can see that the bead isn't seated at all yet. I'm worried being new to fat bikes that I'm doing something wrong any may break this one also... I only used a pair of Park Tool levers and a floor pump to install the first tire. No air compressor or other funny business. It was tight going on but not insane. Is my rim too narrow? There is some bulge, but 5" tires on a 80mm rim don't look crazy to my eyes. Should I just suck it up and add pressure until this one seats?
Old 12-12-19, 10:29 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
did you try with a tube first? I'd be surprised the bead broke so easily, but the tires were used so it's possible
Rim should be fine, even if not optimal for tReplyhe 2xls
Old 12-19-19, 02:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
wire beads break. not a fat tire but ...