Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Toronto Fat bikers - Don Valley trails

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 01-31-20, 01:45 PM
chupster98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Is there a local forum that post updates on trail conditions ? I would like to check current conditions @ the Don Valley trails
Old 01-31-20, 02:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I've struggled w/ similar questions about trails near me. I've tried asking ppl on the forums who ride the trails, I've tried traffic cams & I've even emailed bike shops in the areas. but the best method is to drive there, get out of the car & take a photo, the go do it again at another section of the same trail

btw looking on google maps I was surprised to find a street view of the trail!
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6689...!7i7680!8i3840

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6779...!7i7680!8i3840

I guess they had this guy in a wheelchair do it! find out who he is & call him! maybe he represents an organization?

Old 02-02-20, 09:31 PM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by chupster98
Is there a local forum that post updates on trail conditions ? I would like to check current conditions @ the Don Valley trails
Try the Facebook - Don Valley MTB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/103689789718886/

Although with the weather we've been having, I'd assume that it's not that great (was just out there last Thurs for a 100Km ride, and a lot of it where I went was icy)
Old 02-03-20, 07:47 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
has it been warmer than normal up there as well?
Here in the US NE, we are having the mildest winter in my 50 years of being around this area
Old 02-05-20, 02:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
All I can tell you is that there is a pile of snow blocking the south exit of the Don Mills Trail. It's the lot just south of OTT Financial. I already wrote to 311 to have it cleared.

Otherwise, recently all the trails are pretty clear except for patches of ice. But tonight we're all expecting 10cm of snow and ice rain.
Old 02-09-20, 06:42 PM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
All I can tell you is that there is a pile of snow blocking the south exit of the Don Mills Trail. It's the lot just south of OTT Financial. I already wrote to 311 to have it cleared.

Otherwise, recently all the trails are pretty clear except for patches of ice. But tonight we're all expecting 10cm of snow and ice rain.
Are we expecting that much tonight?

Was up at the Don yesterday and today, from Brickworks to Sunnybrook, and the trails were all near mint. Pretty packed, and fast. Couple of icy spots, but nothing to worry about (other than the section at the bottom of Mud Creek)
Old 02-11-20, 09:33 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J
Are we expecting that much tonight?

Was up at the Don yesterday and today, from Brickworks to Sunnybrook, and the trails were all near mint. Pretty packed, and fast. Couple of icy spots, but nothing to worry about (other than the section at the bottom of Mud Creek)
It was warm yesterday and all that thick snow turned into wet snow. The trail I usually take is Charles Sauriol from Lawrence and DVP to South side of the West Donway to go to the gym. The snow was packed so it was good riding with a fat bike. I'd have trouble with my 2" mtn bike.

I guess with this freeze-thaw cycle there'd be a lot of ice now. If there's just a thin layer of snow, like less than 2 inches, I'd take my beater mtn bike. But with thick snow, I'd be a fat bike.

Every Wednesday I have the same dilemna. I have Kung Fu classes in Chinatown near the AGO. In this climate, I usually don't like to take the street unless the weather is absolutely dry, which was last week. I'd ride down Don Mills Rd, Overlea, Millwood, O'Connor, Broadview and onto the Bloor Viaduct.

But along trails, I'd go the Don Mills Trail, ET Seton Park Trail, to Pottery Rd, down Bayview and onto Rosedale Valley Rd to Bloor.

In the summer, when I want to take it easy, I'd go down the lower Don Trail and out Cork Town Commons.

There's too much resistance on a fat bike, so I try not to ride far on it.

And if the weather or the snow is just too thick, it's the TTC. Amazingly, it all takes about an hour whether I bike through the streets, the trails or TTC. Biking through the streets is of course the fastest.