Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 05:51 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
The little bit of a scratchy throat that started on Thursday morning has evolved into full-fledged cold. All plugged up this morning. Ugh.
same here except mine started Friday night with the scratchy throat.

The commute in this am was nice with the temp at 29f degrees and clear skies. Mostly uneventful until some one in a car tried to pass on the right side of another car(hey, I am right here). Revving his motor he was not able to pass until he got beyond me. It happened very fast so it was all over in a split second it seemed.
Old 11-08-16, 06:47 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yesterday felt like my first winter commute. When I left my office it was a sunny afternoon, almost warm riding the CitiBike to Penn Station. Got on my train and promptly fell asleep, and next thing I knew the sun was setting behind a rapidly moving panorama of suburban nj. By the time I got off the train, the sky was dark but for a band of orange along the southwest horizon, one bright planet and a half moon above it.

Wasn't until I got home that I realized my tail light wasn't working. Loose connection, I found it eventually, but those things are hard to diagnose.

For the next six weeks I'll be watching the sunset from the train window, disappearing a little earlier every day, and riding home in the dark; and then the process will reverse itself.

There will come an evening, a few months from now, when I'll see an edge of the sun just disappearing over the trees when I get off my train, and I'll know it's almost spring... but for now, it feels like it's going to be a long winter.
Old 11-08-16, 06:58 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So the weather said the rain would be south and east.. liars! Rode the fenderless bike anyways got a little spray but not bad. Perfect temp and little wind. Alot more traffic today must be due to voting.
Old 11-08-16, 07:24 AM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
59F with a slight breeze from the north to make it feel a bit cooler. Wore my long sleeve base layer, but went in shorts anyway. Uneventful ride to work. I managed a small victory at the intersection where the light tends to give me problems. A truck was ahead of me and triggered it, giving him the protected left turn green arrow. I didn't think I'd make it because I was far back but it stayed solid, and I got to pass through. I'll take what I can get!
Old 11-08-16, 07:40 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Cold for the part one of my commute - home to gym. About 37F but I went with shorts anyway and just suffered. I was only cold on the downhills. I felt a lot warmer going from gym to work, probably because I had gotten plenty warm working out.

Traffic seemed a bit lighter, but I'm sure I still managed to slow some people down.
Sorry. Not sorry.
Old 11-08-16, 08:46 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Several appointments today so no ride. I feel lost
Old 11-08-16, 09:01 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Coldest commute of the autumn so far, with temps in the mid-30s. I love these temperatures because it's easy to dress for and usually warms up to the 60s or low 70s by afternoon. I also sweat a lot less.

Rode my cyclocross bike for the second day in a row, and my commute speeds have been much faster than while riding my touring bike. Yesterday was my fastest commute in a while, aided by a tailwind in the morning and a pressing deadline in the afternoon. I had left my car for its annual service and inspection at the VW dealer, which closed at 6 pm, so I had to really book it to get there before closing. I made it with 5 minutes to spare. The VW employees were amazed at how far I bike commute and were blown away when I told them that I cycle about 3,000 more miles each year than I drive.
Old 11-08-16, 09:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Rode to the polling place to be there when the doors opened at 7:00. Stood in line for about 20 minutes after voting started. Did my best to avoid condoning evil. Because of this I made it to work 15 minutes late, which I'll just compensate for by staying 15 minutes late tonight. I have a feeling the polling places will be jammed full at 5 PM which is why I decided to get it over with early.

The last few nights I started preparing the winter bike for the season. It's needing a major overhaul: chain, cassette, crank, pedals, brakes, cables and housing. I probably can save the derailleurs and wheel hubs, but I'm not sure yet. I have a big pile of extremely rusty parts on the garage floor. The ice-melt chemicals they put on the road here just destroy everything in a surprisingly short amount of time. I was on the edge of just buying a different bike instead of fixing this one, but I couldn't yet bring myself to throw the old one in the landfill. We've spent too many miles together.
Old 11-08-16, 10:31 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What a great ride today! First time I have gone to vote by bike, so I got to explore a different route to work after. It was nice enough - a 1 lane back road with a moderate amount of traffic. I pass by a Krispy Kreme so I took advantage of that and got my free donut. Ended up being slightly longer, by about a mile, but was a nice day for a ride.
Old 11-08-16, 10:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
On my way out of my neighborhood, headed to the polls, I was buzzed by a BALD EAGLE!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-08-16, 11:02 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I think it's been over 2 weeks since my last bike commute. It's been cool and damp and too easy to drive. But today was 8C/46F for the ride in, with a forecast high of 18C/64F this afternoon....wait, what month is it again? Seems like early November is trying to make up for our miserable October. Nice commute, but I felt the time off. Soured a bit because construction crews have been making a big muddy mess of the trails and roads/shoulders thanks to all the wet weather.
Old 11-08-16, 11:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
36F this morning. I have to remember my temp-based dressing strategy from last winter, because I overdressed and got a bit sweaty. With the time change it is starting to get light when I leave the house. This means that I have to be doubly aware of idiot drivers who refuse to use their lights within 30 minutes of sun-up. I was surprised that I only encountered one such car this morning, but I did see 3 cyclists with nary a light between them.
Old 11-08-16, 11:44 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
On my way out of my neighborhood, headed to the polls, I was buzzed by a BALD EAGLE!
It was probably coming in for an emergency landing after Trump shot it.
Old 11-08-16, 01:04 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Left the house later this morning to stop by the polls, but the line was really long and I didn't have a good place to lock the bike, plus all my clothes were in my trunk bag. So I'll try to leave work early and vote later today.

Wet and rainy this morning, about 60°F. This is the first REAL rainy, wet commute I've had in recent memory. I rode in a couple of minor showers during the summer, but didn't have a single truly wet commute until now, probably since last winter or possibly the spring. I forgot to swap out the rear housing door on my GoPro to the one with the plastic piece that still allows touch screen operation. I stopped and did that on the side of the road, and the camera promptly fell out onto the ground, LENS DOWN! Of course, and it was my first time dropping the camera. No harm, though. Oh well, it was a pretty good commute, just wet and nasty, and I got to work about an hour later than normal.
Old 11-08-16, 01:50 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Insane commute this AM:
first, it was dry!
second, one of those sunrises where the sun lights up a layer of clouds from below in a multitude of colours.
then, light creeping down the mountain-sides
then, bright rainbow, 1/2 circle, over the city as the sun lit up the city like GOLD.

Hey yanks, good luck with your election today! After a morning like that, I don't want to look south this afternoon and see a mushroom cloud.
Old 11-08-16, 01:52 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by timvan_78
Insane commute this AM:
first, it was dry!
second, one of those sunrises where the sun lights up a layer of clouds from below in a multitude of colours.
then, light creeping down the mountain-sides
then, bright rainbow, 1/2 circle, over the city as the sun lit up the city like GOLD.

Hey yanks, good luck with your election today! After a morning like that, I don't want to look south this afternoon and see a mushroom cloud.
At first I read that like "one of the sunrises" and I was like, what are you on Tatooine in a binary star system or something?
Old 11-09-16, 05:54 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
A very nice uneventful commute this morning with the temp at 36f degrees and cloudy skies. I missed those stars!

I was able to make it to the polls last night, vote and get home before dark. That was my goal. I did not want to have to go home and come back with the car.
Old 11-09-16, 07:46 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Brrr.. but wasn't bad! Oddest thing this morning! I have a green light but I see a SUV approaching from the other direction. They're stopping so cool no problem.. BUT they stop briefly and just continue to roll. I'm right in front them! Bright reflective gear and all! They gun it and see me and the same time... and then have the gall to honk! But hey at least I got to exercise my curse word library.. I was reading an article the other day that stated the more curse words you know the smarter you are, I must be a genius!
Old 11-09-16, 07:48 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Some damp roads from light morning rain, but I never saw any falling. Warmer today because of the overcast skies.
Old 11-09-16, 08:03 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Was a warm 54F and a very slight drizzle. I couldn't really feel the rain yet. But brought out the rain jacket since the forcast calls for a little over 0.1 inches of rain later today. Its probably overkill, but if I have it, then might as well use it. Also brought my old front light (Jet halogen light with water bottle battery) and plugged it in at work. I'll need it later on. I'm also trying the ghetto plastic bag over the seat trick. I've read about someone using a shower cap for that and think its a great idea. Will have to get my hands on a large one. He also uses the shower cap on his helmet (thought maybe he meant under the helmet?).

Last edited by ptempel; 11-09-16 at 08:06 AM.
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Biking with a headcold just sucks. Rode yesterday and just took it easy. Today it was 32 degrees with bright stars overhead. Glad I found my helmet light. Really helps to have a bright light on the bars lighting the road while having another light to see where I'm looking. This time of year it's nice to see the ditches with the deer on the move.

Thinking I need to mount a paintball gun on the handlebars.
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
It was probably coming in for an emergency landing after Trump shot it.

43F this morning but the sun did come up. Some sections of the MUP were so covered with leaves I couldn't tell where the pavement was. The good thing is the morning use has dropped dramatically so I just rode in the middle
Old 11-09-16, 08:38 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Got almost no sleep last night due to the election returns, plus my wife and I were taking care of my daughter's dog, so I ended up driving today. Hopefully I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow.
Old 11-09-16, 08:56 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Whoa! Those things are huuuuge! I guess she wanted to see if you were worth eating?
Old 11-09-16, 09:02 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mid-30's for the commute this morning. I was dressed adequately for the temperature, and was enjoying the ride, when I started losing gears on the rear derailleur... and wound up with about 3 working gears. I think my shifter cable is about to break. I couldn't get into the lowest gear and couldn't get into most of my higher gears. Fortunately, my front derailleur was still working, which provided enough gear-range to navigate my 1100' of climbing. Just hoping it can survive the ride home before it breaks completely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.