Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 12:10 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Thanks! My wife also gave me the go ahead to start riding with her work group. Which is a very big step for her.
Yeah I had to take longer off than I wanted last time I got hit for family reasons. Still haven't sold the car I had to buy, which is an ongoing thing with me right now. So easy to keep not doing anything about it...

I'm boating between protection Island, in the Nanaimo harbor, and Nanaimo proper. I was going to get a pair of Xtratuffs but they don't l have many in Canada. My Alaskan friend swears by them and calls them his Alaskan slippers. So I went with Viking.
I was excited in Normandy to see they have a French version of xtratufs that is identical but blue. I like brown better anyway but I regret not picking up a spare pair of the French ones especially now that xtratufs are no longer made in North America anyway. Although I didn't pay attention to whether the French ones were actually made there.

I've been having a hard time getting pictures to load on the site. I'll keep trying. This link is what I can do.

https://goo.gl/photos/6s2ywYR7rJyrJoYH9

It's always the other people that worry me on the road, especially out here.
Cool. Nice train too, I did something like that only once, bike->trailabike->trailer
Old 12-08-16, 06:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I left my bike out in the yard overnight, and this morning it was covered with frost. Pretty cool looking... but perhaps not good for it. Cold ride, too! I was warm by the time I got to the station, but the trains were running 25 minutes late due to police activity on the tracks a couple miles east, so I was chilled to the bone by the time I got on the train. Seems to me they need to put up better fences around the tracks, keep the police off them.
Old 12-08-16, 07:17 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It was supposed to be cold but I was too hot! Overdressed and started sweating. Have a better idea for tomorrow.
Old 12-08-16, 07:19 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A bit warmer this morning at 49F - warm enough to skip the tights and wear shorts only. Today it is forecast to get all the way up to 50, and then the cold front comes through with a low of 26F tonight.

I did have one guy honk at me yesterday. It was just odd though because he hadn't been slowed down by me and he went completely into the other lane to pass me. But yet he decided to let out a 2 second long honk. I just shrugged my shoulders.
Old 12-08-16, 08:34 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I was all set up ready to go as of last night, but once again I bailed this morning. It's getting to the point where it's just not fun riding 1.25 hours in the freezing cold. I would rather sleep an hour later and drive my warm car 20 minutes to work.
Old 12-08-16, 08:40 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
20F with strong crosswinds, 10F wind chill. The winds are steady 15mph gusting to upper 20's. For most of my 11m ride I have buildings or woods that block a westerly wind but there's one section that's a wide open field. I think I could draw a line exactly where the blocking stops as I got slammed to the side. Yeehaw!
Old 12-08-16, 09:55 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
One more day of mild weather here until the cold blast arrives from the North. I was a bit overdressed and sweated more than I like, but wasn't sure if the temperatures will start cooling off by the time of my afternoon commute. I also rode at a faster pace this morning because I was trying to make it to work in time for a meeting, and that contributed to my warmth.

My commuting mileage has gone up quite a bit since the weather has cooled down and dried out a bit here. I actually prefer commuting in winter to the summer, which can be miserably hot and humid here. You can dress for the cold but not much you can do to cool off when temps top 95 F with high humidity.
Old 12-08-16, 10:11 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
rode yesterday and today. Yesterday was a ride to and from work and it sure beat driving. I drove Tuesday due to the rain coming and staying all day.

I rode today mid forties but should be about the same on the way home which means the bike will be light as it was this morning. Not sure how cool it will feel but going to get colder tonight/ tomorrow

I am still planning on riding though...
Old 12-08-16, 10:16 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
7F this morning and the headwinds still strong at 25 mph.

Supposed to get heavy snow over the weekend and then the temps are predicted to drop below zero during next week. Looks like we're about to get serious about winter after our extremely mild fall. And I get to find out how hardcore I am about riding.
Old 12-08-16, 10:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
7F this morning and the headwinds still strong at 25 mph.

Supposed to get heavy snow over the weekend and then the temps are predicted to drop below zero during next week. Looks like we're about to get serious about winter after our extremely mild fall. And I get to find out how hardcore I am about riding.
Under 20 is hardcore in my book...under 10 really hardcore. Sub zero is godlike.

Or crazy ....

Good luck 😊
Old 12-08-16, 10:40 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Under 20 is hardcore in my book...under 10 really hardcore. Sub zero is godlike.

Or crazy ....

Good luck 😊
My record is -14F. But usually my wife freaks out if I try to ride below 0, so if I can't quell her fears then I don't ride. Last year I did convince her to let me ride one day at -6F but I had to call her as soon as I got to the office.

Really, below about 10 degrees it all feels about the same. Pain is pain, and numb is numb.
Old 12-08-16, 11:09 AM
NameChange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had better but it wasn't terrible. I woke up 17 minutes late for work. My boss called my roomate to wake me up whoops. Its was 46 and rainy. I hope the rain lets up by time I get off at 9
Old 12-08-16, 11:24 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
28F, bone dry. No snow. Supposed to start this afternoon, mess up evening commute, turn to freezing rain tomorrow morning and create slushfest until the rain turns it all back liquid for the rest of tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunrise 12-08a.jpg (96.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
sunrise 12-08.jpg (94.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-08-16, 11:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
@joeyduck glad to see you posting and hear from you... sorry about your kid! Mine hasn't had worse than scuffs and a sprain, but he always gets up and keeps plugging, I wonder if he really got hurt if he'd even tell me.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-08-16, 11:56 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
My record is -14F. But usually my wife freaks out if I try to ride below 0, so if I can't quell her fears then I don't ride. Last year I did convince her to let me ride one day at -6F but I had to call her as soon as I got to the office.

Really, below about 10 degrees it all feels about the same. Pain is pain, and numb is numb.
My record is about 5F...wasnt terrible but commute was shorter at that time...4.5 miles. I bet you get more chances than me though at sub zero haha.
Old 12-08-16, 03:04 PM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about putting the bike up for the season. 22F this morning; the cold front came in late yesterday afternoon. I don't know how the cold feels to y'all in other parts of the country, but here the wind simply cuts through anything and everything like a knife. Oh yeah, wind chill temps were about 16-18F. Even now it's only 32. Things won't really get better; pretty much gonna be like this from here on out. Humidity is only 37% right now, so not bad, but when it goes up it just feels worse. So this morning I drove to work, and was able to knock out 2 errands on the way, along with picking up some hot Starbucks. Not a bad way to start the day.
Old 12-08-16, 06:18 PM
esmith2039

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
20F with strong crosswinds, 10F wind chill. The winds are steady 15mph gusting to upper 20's. For most of my 11m ride I have buildings or woods that block a westerly wind but there's one section that's a wide open field. I think I could draw a line exactly where the blocking stops as I got slammed to the side. Yeehaw!
I have the same thing on my commute. Although mine is more like the wind is from the NW and when you get to certain spots bam it's bouncing off the buildings (or other geographic features) and it's from the SW! I pretty much know where to expect the change anymore. My commute really does suck with the wind around the two rivers, the bottoms, the hills and the dang trains. There I feel better
Old 12-08-16, 06:47 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by TheNormanRider
Thinking about putting the bike up for the season. 22F this morning; the cold front came in late yesterday afternoon. I don't know how the cold feels to y'all in other parts of the country, but here the wind simply cuts through anything and everything like a knife. Oh yeah, wind chill temps were about 16-18F. Even now it's only 32. Things won't really get better; pretty much gonna be like this from here on out. Humidity is only 37% right now, so not bad, but when it goes up it just feels worse. So this morning I drove to work, and was able to knock out 2 errands on the way, along with picking up some hot Starbucks. Not a bad way to start the day.
Yesterday it was 22F here with a 16mph headwind and 65% humidity...not fun. Not uber cold...but major fogging issues.
Old 12-09-16, 05:53 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
Finally, I was able to ride my bike this week. No wet roads so no ice! It was 30f degrees when I left the house this morning. It felt so good to be riding. I hope this afternoon when there are headwinds gusting up to 25mph I will feel the same way. If not oh well I enjoyed this morning!
Old 12-09-16, 06:07 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
31F/0C Strong and cold headwind the entire way in. Winds coming down from the North are expected for the coming week.
Old 12-09-16, 06:12 AM
esmith2039

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
13 degrees but no complaints. Wore thin pajamas under the athletic pants, perfect. The wind did nip a few places on my face but I got used to that. Got over the 2k mark this morning, will get over 3k next year one way or another.
Old 12-09-16, 07:33 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Nice and chilly this morning at 30F. The clothing choices worked well, but I still get cold after I am at work and changed. I even left my tights on under my jeans and plan to remove them later once I warm up.

This week puts me over 5,000 miles commuting for the year.
Old 12-09-16, 07:54 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
My record is about 5F...wasnt terrible but commute was shorter at that time...4.5 miles. I bet you get more chances than me though at sub zero haha.
Same here, 4° during the polar vortex a few years ago but that's about a 30 year low for Atlanta. The odds are I'll never get a chance at a sub-zero commute.
Old 12-09-16, 08:12 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

0F when I hit the road this morning.

Interestingly enough, the wind had died down to about 5 mph which actually made today feel like the warmest commute of the week. 4 consecutive days of those 25+ mph winds were getting tiresome.
Old 12-09-16, 08:16 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cold commute this morning with temps in the upper 20s, but not the coldest so far this fall. A front is moving through today, and it is likely to be nearly as cold with a stiff headwind during my ride home this afternoon.

I forgot to charge the LED headlight on my Waterford after arriving home last night and didn't realize it until I got ready to leave this morning. So I had to shift all of my gear to my Bob Jackson touring bike, which has a dynamo light system. The dynamo light is very convenient sometimes. However, my touring bike is slower and heavier, so I get tired of riding it all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.