Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Roadie here, MTB newb

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Roadie here, MTB newb

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 08:53 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roadie here, MTB newb

I'm primarily a commuter, sometime tourer, occasional triathlete... and now wanting a mountain bike.

I have a lot of non-MTB uses for this such as foul-weather commuting, pulling a cargo trailer, etc. But I do have a buddy I go MTBing with occasionally and I'd like to do a bit more of it. May do an Xterra tri sometime, but as always I am a "participant" more than a "competitor" so we don't need to focus on shaving seconds off my time here.

Of my buddy's bikes I've ridden, I like the 29er full suspension and the 27.5 plus bike the best. I have some mild back issues and like the softer tail. The 29er and 27.5+ both feel more stable on weird surfaces for me.

My budget says I am a BikesDirect customer. I would have loved to get their mid-level 27.5+ front suspension bike, but it's sold out in my size and they say no idea when they'll restock it. For a couple hundred more, there's another 27.5+ with a bit better spec, but pushing a bit outside my price envelope.

One idea I had was to get one of their 29ers and an extra wheelset for 27.5 plus tires, but having a hard time finding appropriate wheels that are compatible with the standard 29er hub widths.

So I'm kind of landing on this one by default:
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 2729DS Disc brakes, Tubeless Compatible Rims
$699 is squarely in my price range.
The only downside here is that it probably doesn't get me into the snow commuting club like a 27.5 plus would. Mabye the 29er with studded tires?

Would appreciate any feedback/suggestions based on the above.

PS, I have been following craigslist for several months for a MTB, but not getting anywhere with it. I see an awful lot of very cheap junk, and a fair amount that are very high end and well out of my price range even at Craigslist prices.

PPS
Or, just go above the comfort zone and do the better-spec'd 27.5+
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9-mtgry-21.jpg
In which case, gray or orange? Not a huge fan of either.

Last edited by alathIN; 08-29-16 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 11:00 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Out of those two definitely go for the 27.5+ bike. You don't want a lowend full suspension bike. Besides having a bunch of cheapo parts on it that is a very out dated suspension design and will be a pedal bobbing monster. The + bike actually has decent parts on it including the raidon fork.

Save Up to 60% Off Plus FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane NEW Fantom 27.5 PLUS X7 27.5 PLUS Wheelsize Bicycles, Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

Assuming that is the right one anyway. Bikesdirect website is such a pita to deal with.
Old 08-29-16, 12:50 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Out of those two definitely go for the 27.5+ bike. You don't want a lowend full suspension bike. Besides having a bunch of cheapo parts on it that is a very out dated suspension design and will be a pedal bobbing monster. The + bike actually has decent parts on it including the raidon fork.

Save Up to 60% Off Plus FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane NEW Fantom 27.5 PLUS X7 27.5 PLUS Wheelsize Bicycles, Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

Assuming that is the right one anyway. Bikesdirect website is such a pita to deal with.
Actually the X7 you linked above is the one I originally wanted, but not available in my size and they do not know when/if they will restock.

Will probably get the X9, which is the same bike next grade up with a slightly upgraded component set and through axles.
Old 08-29-16, 02:52 PM
Canker

It looks like everything is exactly the same except one has x7 drivetrain bits and the other has x9. Not much of an upgrade for $200

Mongoose Ruddy Expert 27.5" Mountain Bike
Think I'd rather have that. Just wait a few days for Nashbar to do yet another one of their 20%+ off deals and it will be around the same price or cheaper than the BD bike. Better fork, more travel and a slacker head angle. Mongoose has a bad rap for their BSO bikes but that one is a real bike and BD bikes don't have any snob appeal either. I'm sure if you look around there are other deals to be had too.

Last edited by Canker; 08-29-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 12:32 PM
alathIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
It looks like everything is exactly the same except one has x7 drivetrain bits and the other has x9. Not much of an upgrade for $200

Mongoose Ruddy Expert 27.5" Mountain Bike
Think I'd rather have that. Just wait a few days for Nashbar to do yet another one of their 20%+ off deals and it will be around the same price or cheaper than the BD bike. Better fork, more travel and a slacker head angle. Mongoose has a bad rap for their BSO bikes but that one is a real bike and BD bikes don't have any snob appeal either. I'm sure if you look around there are other deals to be had too.
Funny you should say, they're 10% off and bonus 20% off today, and it's still $350 more than the BD. Same general price range, but the $999 was about my limit.

Honestly I wanted the x7 bike but none in my size and none on the way any time soon.

That does look like a nice bike, though.
Old 08-30-16, 01:29 PM
Canker

Originally Posted by alathIN
Funny you should say, they're 10% off and bonus 20% off today, and it's still $350 more than the BD. Same general price range, but the $999 was about my limit.

Honestly I wanted the x7 bike but none in my size and none on the way any time soon.

That does look like a nice bike, though.
lol They jacked the price up on the bike since I posted it. The bike was $1200.
Old 08-30-16, 03:54 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
I can't offer you any useful advice with the extremely limited information you've provided. Where are you based? What kind of trails do you want to ride? What are your goals as a mountain biker?

I can tell you what's trendy (27.5) or what's cheap or what I like but without more real info you might as well throw a dart and buy whichever hike you hit.
Old 08-30-16, 05:20 PM
alathIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
I can't offer you any useful advice with the extremely limited information you've provided. Where are you based? What kind of trails do you want to ride? What are your goals as a mountain biker?
Indiana.

Honestly I probably don't know enough about mountain biking to answer the 'what type of trails' question.

I have a friend here who MTBs a lot, and I've gone with him a few times. Relatives have a cabin in Brown County (Nebo Ridge country) and I've done some of the less-challenging trails there. The ones where you have to bunny hop up and down off of a pile of boulders are a bit beyond me, but if it looks somewhat like a trail I enjoyed riding it. I've also done something called Town Run Trail that is here in Indianapolis, runs along a river bank with a variety of riding challenges. I'd like to do some more of that kind of thing.
At this point I am more in "exploration mode" than "I know exactly what I want to do" mode.
I have done a number of road triathlons so I might consider an Xterrra at some point, would pick one of the ones with less-challenging bike trails, and again I am no threat to the podium so shaving seconds here or there is not a big priority.
I also mentioned a number of not-specifically MTB uses I intend for this bike in the OP.

Of all the friends' MTBs I have ridden, I tended to like the plus bike and the full suspension bike the best. Hard bangs through a hard tail directly into my back is not optimal for a 50ish guy with back issues. Between the two, the dual suspension bike felt better to me on the back wheel but the plus bike made me feel more secure steering over irregular surfaces. FWIW, these are both pretty high-end bikes.

Even on road bikes, where I have a great deal more experience, I tend to be a somewhat cautious rider - I like to go fast, but, for example, in a recent triathlon with rough roads recently rained on, I slowed down to "granny" the corners. The times I have gone, trail riding has been fun but also a bit nerve-wracking at times and I'd go for traction, grip, and sense of security above just about everything else.

Does that help?
Old 08-30-16, 11:31 PM
Canker

Riding highend bikes especially full suspension bikes kind of spoils you. I haven't tried out a 27.5+ yet but one of my friends has one a really likes it. There really isn't anything wrong with the BD x9 bike and it is still a good deal, just not nearly as good of a deal as the x7 version. Just doing some quick looking around everything else with 27.5+ tires and decent fork is $1300 give or take.

Griffin - Airborne Bicycle Co

Charge Bikes Cooker 2 Complete Mountain Bike - 2016 | Backcountry.com
Next best deal but on back order

https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B.../dp/B01FKZBACQ

All of those have 120mm forks and I assume 69 degree head angles which I'd prefer to the BD's old school 71 but if $999 is already at the limit I'm not sure it would be enough to make me fork over more cash. The 69 degree head angle means a bike will feel a bit more stable when pointed downhill and bit less stable pointed up hill than a 71 degree head angle. If you are riding mostly tame stuff I doubt you would notice any difference.

You can probably find a better deal on a 29er hardtail but if you plan to eventually put 27.5+ wheels on it that isn't going to be cheap. Plus not all 29er frames can clear a 2.8" 27.5 tire so you would need to do some research on any bikes you are considering.
Old 08-31-16, 11:47 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
How about a gravel bike with clearance for fat tires? All bicycles should have drop bars IMO. Conventional MTB postures are too upright, especially if you're used to a road bike. Have you tried a CX on singletrack? Ever had the hankering to ride your road bike on dirt?

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 08-31-16 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 08:04 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
How about a gravel bike with clearance for fat tires? All bicycles should have drop bars IMO. Conventional MTB postures are too upright, especially if you're used to a road bike. Have you tried a CX on singletrack? Ever had the hankering to ride your road bike on dirt?
Ever mt bike? Drop bars are not what you want for tech, rocks and wait for it, mountain biking. While there are uses for cross bikes on dirt and dirt drops, a good mt bike set up is where the OP should start. Wider bars and more upright.
Old 09-01-16, 08:12 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Given your budget, location, limit trail aspirations, desire to tow and need for more of an all round bike I think you should revisit a hard tail. Any fs bike you get at your price point will be junk. With a hard tail you can learn to stand for the bigger bumps (we all did); it'll tow better; and if you shop well you might get a half-decent fork. Somebody recently posted on ibex bikes. Check them out. A 29er will likely help smooth the bumps but I think a 26er will do you as well as a (trendy) 27.5. You can get better spec'ed 26ers for the same price. They are nimble and fun and sound like they'd do anything you want to do.