Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Listening choices on your bike

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Listening choices on your bike

Old 02-11-20, 11:07 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
It would be a curious correlation to see how many who don't listen to headphones so they can hear traffic also have mirrors.
I usually don't listen and do have mirrors. I ride a lot of long hwy miles and they help quite a bit for seeing what's coming up behind.
I don't listen. I have a mirror most of the time, exceptions being cases where I lost my mirror or if I'm suddenly in country where driving is on the left and I find less useful for my left-mounted eyeglass mirror.

Depends a bit on the road, but I've found a mirror most useful in cases of heavier traffic, narrower or not quite rideable shoulders.

On recent long trip I did discover podcasts which I'll listen to when not on the bike. Nice connection to have English-language podcasts when otherwise traveling in places where English isn't the primary language.
Old 02-11-20, 12:14 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I'd like to be able to listen to NPR, or maybe an audio book, sometimes, but I use a speaker, rather than earbuds (I forgot to mention that in my earlier post). Trying to hear spoken words in the open air is too difficult for me.
Old 02-11-20, 01:03 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I'd like to be able to listen to NPR, or maybe an audio book, sometimes, but I use a speaker, rather than earbuds (I forgot to mention that in my earlier post). Trying to hear spoken words in the open air is too difficult for me.
I imagine wind noise in the ears would be the issue using an open air speaker. That's why I use a single earbud; the music/radio goes directly in one ear, and eliminates wind noise issues, while the other ear can listen for trucks etc.
Old 02-11-20, 11:16 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I imagine wind noise in the ears would be the issue using an open air speaker. That's why I use a single earbud; the music/radio goes directly in one ear, and eliminates wind noise issues, while the other ear can listen for trucks etc.
I have the curse where I cannot get ear buds to stay in. I have tried all types, even with the little wrap around the ears. They will not stay in.
With a BT speaker sitting right in front of me, I don't go fast enough for wind noise to be a factor. Traffic is the only noise that can drown it out
Old 02-12-20, 12:10 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I have the curse where I cannot get ear buds to stay in. I have tried all types, even with the little wrap around the ears. They will not stay in.
With a BT speaker sitting right in front of me, I don't go fast enough for wind noise to be a factor. Traffic is the only noise that can drown it out
I have to use "sport" buds with the loops that go around the ears as regular ear buds just fall out. I usually ride with a bandana around my neck as I find it keeps me cooler in the summer and it works well as a place to hook the unused ear bud. I run the ear bud cord under the bandana and so when I take them out they just dangle safely a few inches over the bandana.
Old 02-12-20, 06:15 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Slim Whitman or Yanni.
Old 02-12-20, 06:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I use a mirror, but still shudder to think of plugging my ears. They're an important part of my input. I sometimes know the position of traffic behind me without looking, if there's gravel on a shoulder or painted lane lines. I like the reassuring sound of tires on the dashed center line, giving me lots of room. And I like being generally aware of my surroundings, on or off the road.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-12-20, 07:10 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
I would love to listen to music but too safety paranoid since I have enough challenge hearing some vehicles and cyclists from behind.
I also use an eye mirror to help with this safety issue.
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-12-20, 02:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,472 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Camped this past summer next to a babbling brook, way cool. YRMV.
My favorite. During my two-week tour last June six nights were spent along creeks or rivers. A seventh close to a lake.
Old 02-12-20, 06:47 PM
nun

Originally Posted by indyfabz
My favorite. During my two-week tour last June six nights were spent along creeks or rivers. A seventh close to a lake.
When camping it's nice to have gentle sounds...too often in campsites there's the noise of partying. On the bike I really look forward to a good podcast or some of my favorite music.
Old 02-12-20, 08:07 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I used to use in-ear earphones religiously, doing many tens of thousands of happy miles in that fashion. Then, for some reason, I stopped. The safety factor was a part of it, but not a big part, so this is definitely not an online preachy-rant. I just changed. Now I pack the in-ear earphones, but the last couple of trips I haven't even used them at night.

edit - there are bone-conduction earphones available now, I'm considering trying a pair to see how good the sound is and how well you can still hear other stuff.
Old 02-12-20, 08:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
When camping it's nice to have gentle sounds...too often in campsites there's the noise of partying. On the bike I really look forward to a good podcast or some of my favorite music.
Up here, when I tour on the paved roads, I like to stay in Conservation Area. Most of them have a radio free zone, and they also have noise level rules. I get a good night sleep in those areas.

Cheers
Old 02-12-20, 10:59 PM
nun

Originally Posted by BicycleSamurai
I like to listen to podcasts. Mostly science fiction, fantasy short fiction from Starship Sofa, Cast of Wonders, Escape Pod. I also listen to infotainment shows like a lot of the “Stuff” podcasts from IHeartRadio network or stuff from Radiotopia or Parcast.

As for music I like to listen to music from John Denver to Fallout Boys or 80’s rock.
Thanks for the links, especially the SciFi ones. Starship Sofa is great and the host has a very familiar accent for me so that's lovely too.
Old 02-13-20, 09:15 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Listening to music in just one ear may well damage your hearing in that ear, as you will almost certainly turn the volume way up to compensate for not having the music in both ears.

Sidenote: In case you’re a musician, never use just one in-ear-monitor and a wedge, as you’ll turn the IEM up to balance the sound and will damage your hearing.
Likes For imi:
Old 02-13-20, 03:51 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Distracted driver?! I can't afford to be one of them.... It would be an inane form of suicide.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-13-20, 07:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
nun, Im one of those who absolutely loves podcasts etc for long car drives, but I just cant bring myself to use earbuds while riding my bike.

but no matter.
if you follow the tour de france etc, one of the best podcasts to follow of all pro racing is The Cycling Podcast. They do daily pods from the three grand tours, and other great stuff. Brits of course, and very well done.
and of course, I listen to podcasts on other topics and sports that I follow, F1, motogp, tv series etc , but just cant do it riding. Same with music--I get the whole thing of how music affects our mood and all that, its fantastic, but for some reason, I just cant do it, dont like the distraction while riding--and I always use a helmet mounted mirror tokeep track of stuff behind me, and believe its an essential tool to use.
Remember, I come from a motorcycle background from a teenage time, so defensive driving or riding is the top priority, and essential to me whether its riding to work in Montreal or on some tight road in Mexico....
Old 02-13-20, 08:10 PM
nun

Originally Posted by djb
nun, Im one of those who absolutely loves podcasts etc for long car drives, but I just cant bring myself to use earbuds while riding my bike.

but no matter.
if you follow the tour de france etc, one of the best podcasts to follow of all pro racing is The Cycling Podcast. They do daily pods from the three grand tours, and other great stuff. Brits of course, and very well done.
and of course, I listen to podcasts on other topics and sports that I follow, F1, motogp, tv series etc , but just cant do it riding. Same with music--I get the whole thing of how music affects our mood and all that, its fantastic, but for some reason, I just cant do it, dont like the distraction while riding--and I always use a helmet mounted mirror tokeep track of stuff behind me, and believe its an essential tool to use.
Remember, I come from a motorcycle background from a teenage time, so defensive driving or riding is the top priority, and essential to me whether its riding to work in Montreal or on some tight road in Mexico....
I'm all for defensive riding. I did the "cycling proficiency" test in the UK back in the early 1970s and I have kept up the habits of following rules of the road, attention to surroundings and signaling. I don't find that music in my right ear is much of a distraction at all.

​​​​​​
Old 02-13-20, 08:35 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Funny video, amazing how we can see stuff from our youth just like that!
and you know, I may well try it riding one day and wonder why I didn't years before. I could see on some dreadfully boring straight sections, but I'm vey much someone whose mind ruminates on things when I ride and enjoy the views and sounds.

re sounds. Once on a highway in Mexico, I either heard a sound or was just doing my usual instinctual often mirror check, and saw an 18 wheeler move over for me, but looked in mirror just as he changed lanes and a bunch of improperly secured cinder blocks went tumbling off the truck and bounced and crashed and broke apart in the shoulder behind me....quite the effing sight believe me seeing them bounding my way at 100kph.
now I was really effing lucky that there was enough space between me and the incoming concrete, but it was that little sound of him probably a bit jerkily changing lanes that i picked up and looked into my helmet mirror.

so right or wrong, that's what I think of when wondering if reduced hearing at all would be that smidgen of difference one day?

plus I'm a good day dreamer biking with ideas and stuff, and I whistle and sing sometimes too.
Old 02-13-20, 08:57 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
BT/SD speaker or headphone for instrumental music over the decades, centuries including NPR interaction and mother natures beauty & design.
Old 02-17-20, 12:38 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I seldom listen to music outdoors, but my preference is for music with a beat that matches an exercise cadence if I'm moving my body. I also dance on the beat.
Old 02-17-20, 01:56 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've been a musician for over 50 years (I'm 68), and have loved listening to music even longer...and I have listened a lot. I have over 4000 CDs..but when I ride my bike, I am SO happy to be alone with my thoughts. Not bored...15 or so years ago, when I got an ipod, I gave it a try on the bike. I found it annoying. And dangerous.
And even when I brougth along real headphones, and not lame apple ear buds, I wasn't happy with the sounds.
That experiment was very short.
So many people in our culture seem to need to be constantly stimulated. As I said: I like having the chance to be alone with my own thoughts. AND to llisten to the music inside my head (I'm a composer. I work on music I'm writing while on my bike).
I live in Boston, and some of the foolish things I see people on bikes doing with their devices....
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 02-17-20, 01:59 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I use a bluetooth shower speaker mounted on my frame bag. So traffic noise is not a problem and it's easy to pause, skip, change volume and answer the phone
oh, and classic rock, blues and some ethnic music
You don't want to hear this....but I find hearing anyone else's bluetooth speaker REALLYY annoying...even worse are guy's on harely's, who have REALLY loud music.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 02-17-20, 02:01 PM
dkatz1

Wow....you only listen to ONE channel of the music? I find that excurciating...I want music to sound right. It doesn't on a bike. But if you're only listening to half of it?
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 02-17-20, 03:56 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I only listen to Grateful Dead when I'm riding.

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-0...n.29303.flac16
https://archive.org/details/gd89-07-...045.sbeok.shnf
https://archive.org/details/gd89-10-...721.sbeok.shnf
Old 02-17-20, 11:07 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
You don't want to hear this....but I find hearing anyone else's bluetooth speaker REALLYY annoying...even worse are guy's on harely's, who have REALLY loud music.
I would take that into consideration if I rode with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.