Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 09:45 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
School's been really tough recently, so riding has been non-existant. Hopefully this weekend i can get a lot of riding in (we have monday off as well for something, but i think my class is still going to have class).
Old 12-08-12, 11:22 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck on your finals.
Old 12-08-12, 11:42 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i already took my finals for the semester. Im in an intensive course which is one course all day for three weeks straight. AP U.S. History at my school is fairly intense because our teacher is an old college professor who has been teaching this class for a very long time. He knows his stuff and he expect us to know everything he knows for everything. Overal, i love the class, it's just insane!!!!

Also, im doing really well which is always a plus
Old 12-08-12, 06:54 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blast from the Past Department: The Campagnolo neutral support Buick, captained by Bill Woodul. The roof rack is for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/custom-made-...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bill Woodull.jpg (75.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-08-12, 09:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
^ wow

When I went to Tour of Nutley in 1983 (to watch) it was the Crit Nationals (Phinney won Senior men, Knickman won the Juniors). The thing that stuck us most was the Campy Buick. Racers came and went but the Campy Buick was the Campy Buick.
Old 12-09-12, 04:38 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
check his shoes
Old 12-09-12, 05:33 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check the dude in the back seat
Old 12-09-12, 06:48 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
check his shoes
vintage crocks?
Old 12-09-12, 07:03 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding all night in driving snow with no purpose but enjoyable solitude, pretty glad it's not for most folks.
Old 12-09-12, 07:14 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to be a cold one on the bike today, but at least I'll be outdoors! The weather gods have finally smiled on us and given us some sun\dry roads on the weekend...Best part is I'll be riding with my wife and 4 other ladies...I don't believe i will do much pulling today

RK....You be quiet...
Old 12-09-12, 09:44 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56
I'll be doing the mtb thing for sure...and I drove Lookout and yeah the descent looks like serious fun.

Ive never paid any attention to the whole carbon/alum wheel discussion in the context of descending/braking. And Im too lazy to search thru the plethora of threads about it. So any insight would be helpful...I know the latest carbon has sufficient braking power; my only concern is longevity of braking surfaces of carbon vs alum...
NO one answered this so I will jump in, but I'm by no means an expert on wheels.

Biggest concern for me is braking performance in the wet. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty common here, the relatively high likelihood of getting caught doing a 10 mile descent in the rain makes me mostly leave my carbon wheels at home. My 2012 Zipps brake in the wet like the rim was greased. I see a lot of carbon wheels in crits, not that many up in the mountains. If you don't already have the wheels, I would wait and see what your racing cohort is doing before investing. Or be willing to switch wheels a lot, which I'm finding to be annoying, with the pads and the brake adjustments.
Old 12-09-12, 10:30 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i really need to start riding again. Skipped my ride yesterday, and didnt ride firday, and have ridden two 7 hour weeks. I'm getting real fat, and more importantly really lazy!
Old 12-09-12, 10:35 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
been leaning toward aluminum wheels...really like the idea of Open Pros. I know theyre a bit heavy (2000ish grams?)

For those of you who do a fair amount of climbing- should I consider wheel weight?
Old 12-09-12, 10:38 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Have a phone interview tomorrow with a cardiology research group and then on tuesday I have an informational phone call with the head of the healthcare consulting group I want to work with.
Crossing my fingerssss.

been leaning toward aluminum wheels...really like the idea of Open Pros. I know theyre a bit heavy (2000ish grams?)

For those of you who do a fair amount of climbing- should I consider wheel weight?
I know a guy who may or may not be able to make a set of wheels for you given your exact riding needs. They may or may not be lighter, stiffer, and awesomer than anything you'd pick up off the shelves.

Seriously though, you weigh nothing. You can do way better than open pros for your needs.
Old 12-09-12, 10:40 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
^ Ive considered this.
Old 12-09-12, 10:46 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts

And if not. I had good things to say about the wheelset I bought from Soul.
Old 12-09-12, 11:21 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

or perhaps zipp101 or HED Jet 4
Old 12-09-12, 01:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
i really need to start riding again. Skipped my ride yesterday, and didnt ride firday, and have ridden two 7 hour weeks. I'm getting real fat, and more importantly really lazy!
Calm down, Mikey.
Old 12-09-12, 01:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts

I've put many 1000s of miles on Open Pros in the mountains and I always crack the rear rim after around 8-10k miles, (as you know, I am a fatty).
Yes they are around 2000 grams and even I feel the difference using a lighter wheel.
They can be built up cheap and they last a long time for most riders, however.
Descending mountains in the rain is scary enough with aluminum rims and you eat up pads and that black stuff gets all over everything, especially if you get a flat.

Used to ride the mtb in the snow a lot and the snow sits on top of the pads and melts as you brake, so the rims are never dry. Plus, there is usually sand in the snow so the pads grind through the rims even faster. Disc brakes are great in snow and rain.

Last edited by big john; 12-09-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 02:24 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Calm down, Mikey.
except ill be the one beating you next year
Old 12-09-12, 03:23 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Open Pros are junk. Get anything else. On long climbs wheel weight is the same as any other weight. When you are accellerating, rim (but not wheel) weight is "worth" about 2x other weight, as far as the effort it takes to accellerate it. But that's still a pretty small number in the over all scheme of things (bike weight, body weight, aerodynamic drag). So small that you can ignore it.

Open Pros list at 440 per rim but they're really 15-20g heavier. They're flexy and crack at the eyelets. KinLin XR270s cost half as much, weigh less (I've measured 436-438g) and are stiffer, making a stronger wheel. They're "aero" aluminum rims, but at 27mm deep they're not going to be all that aero compared to well designed deep carbon rims. I built a set of training wheels on XR270s using BikeHubStore hubs which came in at 1440g and cost about $220 plus my time to build them.

Carbon clinchers aren't the thing to use for training in the mountains. They tend to overheat from braking. Even if you're a demon desceder who doesn't brake, you may get stuck behind a car you can't pass. Having to choose between a risky pass and overheating your brakes and having the rim delaminate is not my idea of fun.
Old 12-09-12, 03:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

except ill be the one beating you next year
Turning 45?
Old 12-09-12, 04:23 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you ever race the 1/2 races i'll beat you.
Old 12-09-12, 04:25 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you ever race the 1/2 races i'll beat you.
Stop being a stereotype!
Old 12-09-12, 04:26 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl
NO one answered this so I will jump in, but I'm by no means an expert on wheels.

Biggest concern for me is braking performance in the wet. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty common here, the relatively high likelihood of getting caught doing a 10 mile descent in the rain makes me mostly leave my carbon wheels at home. My 2012 Zipps brake in the wet like the rim was greased. I see a lot of carbon wheels in crits, not that many up in the mountains. If you don't already have the wheels, I would wait and see what your racing cohort is doing before investing. Or be willing to switch wheels a lot, which I'm finding to be annoying, with the pads and the brake adjustments.
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I know a guy who may or may not be able to make a set of wheels for you given your exact riding needs. They may or may not be lighter, stiffer, and awesomer than anything you'd pick up off the shelves.

Seriously though, you weigh nothing. You can do way better than open pros for your needs.
Originally Posted by echappist
or perhaps zipp101 or HED Jet 4
Originally Posted by big john
I've put many 1000s of miles on Open Pros in the mountains and I always crack the rear rim after around 8-10k miles, (as you know, I am a fatty).
Yes they are around 2000 grams and even I feel the difference using a lighter wheel.
They can be built up cheap and they last a long time for most riders, however.
Descending mountains in the rain is scary enough with aluminum rims and you eat up pads and that black stuff gets all over everything, especially if you get a flat.

Used to ride the mtb in the snow a lot and the snow sits on top of the pads and melts as you brake, so the rims are never dry. Plus, there is usually sand in the snow so the pads grind through the rims even faster. Disc brakes are great in snow and rain.
Originally Posted by ericm979
Open Pros are junk. Get anything else. On long climbs wheel weight is the same as any other weight. When you are accellerating, rim (but not wheel) weight is "worth" about 2x other weight, as far as the effort it takes to accellerate it. But that's still a pretty small number in the over all scheme of things (bike weight, body weight, aerodynamic drag). So small that you can ignore it.

Open Pros list at 440 per rim but they're really 15-20g heavier. They're flexy and crack at the eyelets. KinLin XR270s cost half as much, weigh less (I've measured 436-438g) and are stiffer, making a stronger wheel. They're "aero" aluminum rims, but at 27mm deep they're not going to be all that aero compared to well designed deep carbon rims. I built a set of training wheels on XR270s using BikeHubStore hubs which came in at 1440g and cost about $220 plus my time to build them.

Carbon clinchers aren't the thing to use for training in the mountains. They tend to overheat from braking. Even if you're a demon desceder who doesn't brake, you may get stuck behind a car you can't pass. Having to choose between a risky pass and overheating your brakes and having the rim delaminate is not my idea of fun.
thanks for the info...Im liking the XR200 option. Looks like they can be built up well under 1500g. Hopefully I can get Psimet to build them up for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.