Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 09:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Ahhhh. Just got back from my first chiropractic visit in about a year. It was needed. Still need to go back in a couple days, though.
Old 01-11-21, 09:15 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
I’ve decided that I want winter to be over.

So my bontrager booties that I have worn a total of 6 times, the left one is already broken. It has a velcro stap that goes underneath the sole and half the strap came off in my hand this morning on my left bootie. Are booties only suppose to last one season? My toe things didn’t last long either and I am starting to notice a trend that I do not like.
Old 01-11-21, 09:17 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ahhhh. Just got back from my first chiropractic visit in about a year. It was needed. Still need to go back in a couple days, though.

Ive been meaning to do this for a couple of years but it scares me to the point I never go.
Old 01-11-21, 09:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Back in 2008 I did Velo Quebe's Le Grande Tour in PQ. PQ often feels very European.The very first day some guys simply stopped by the side of the road turned their back and peed despite there being woods they could have walked into. A small group of women came riding by and cheered them on. I could not bring myself to do it in the open. Now, when I ride in very rural places, I sometimes don't even put the bike down.
Peeing is a big thing between races at regattas. All the boats are milling around in close quarters and many of them have someone hanging off the back with their unit out. It's something female crew have learned to put up, along with using buckets in very close and bouncy quarters on small boats. Some brave women on boats with the right stern configuration will grab the backstay and cantilever off (LSS is adept at this technique, but uses the head during daylight hours). There is a classic repertoire of insults one shouts at the competition when catching them in the act, mainly related to (male) size and women are often among the shouters.

There are stories about coasties and water cops busting people too, but I've never seen that happen.
Old 01-11-21, 09:31 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Are booties only suppose to last one season? My toe things didn’t last long either and I am starting to notice a trend that I do not like.
I've had my LG booties for 4(?) seasons now, and they still look more or less new.

My 6 year old Performance Bike toe covers are getting a bit ragged, but still functional. They've got a couple more seasons left, I think. I'm quite surprised they've lasted this long, TBH.

I don't ride as much as you, but I wouldn't think the wear you're seeing is typical.
Old 01-11-21, 09:31 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Peeing is a big thing between races at regattas.
Thanks for sharing?
Old 01-11-21, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

Ive been meaning to do this for a couple of years but it scares me to the point I never go.
I suppose it's kind of like going to a fitter. You hear so many bad stories that you really want to go to one where you have a personal reference. In my case, my wife had gone to her for a year or so without having her neck snapped, so I figured she was an okay practitioner.

I tend to have fairly knotted back and shoulders and my spine occasionally get a little out of whack; going helps with both. I also get a bit of a euphoric feeling afterwards. Kind of like a runner's high, but without the effort.
Old 01-11-21, 09:33 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

So soon?
Old 01-11-21, 09:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Thanks for sharing?
You're welcome. It's natural, beautiful, man!
Old 01-11-21, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

So my bontrager booties that I have worn a total of 6 times, the left one is already broken. It has a velcro stap that goes underneath the sole and half the strap came off in my hand this morning on my left bootie. Are booties only suppose to last one season? My toe things didn’t last long either and I am starting to notice a trend that I do not like.
I expect them to get beat up, but this is a little extreme. I'd bring them back to the LBS and see if they'll exchange them.

My current booties, Endura something-somethings, are going on their third winter. One of the seams between the neoprene panels is starting to fray, though. I might be able to patch them up enough for next year, but we'll see. I think that, overall, these are my third set of winter booties over 7 years or so. Looking at it in that light, it makes me think that winter boots aren't such a bad value - they'll probably be warmer, will be easier to get on and off, and will probably last a decade or close to it. I'll probably bite the bullet whenever the current booties need to be retired.
Old 01-11-21, 09:42 AM
bampilot06

I expect them to get beat up, but this is a little extreme. I'd bring them back to the LBS and see if they'll exchange them.

My current booties, Endura something-somethings, are going on their third winter. One of the seams between the neoprene panels is starting to fray, though. I might be able to patch them up enough for next year, but we'll see. I think that, overall, these are my third set of winter booties over 7 years or so. Looking at it in that light, it makes me think that winter boots aren't such a bad value - they'll probably be warmer, will be easier to get on and off, and will probably last a decade or close to it. I'll probably bite the bullet whenever the current booties need to be retired.
Im planning on winter boots next year. Hopefully they will let me exchange them if not I’ll figure something out.
Old 01-11-21, 09:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I suppose it's kind of like going to a fitter. You hear so many bad stories that you really want to go to one where you have a personal reference. In my case, my wife had gone to her for a year or so without having her neck snapped, so I figured she was an okay practitioner.

I tend to have fairly knotted back and shoulders and my spine occasionally get a little out of whack; going helps with both. I also get a bit of a euphoric feeling afterwards. Kind of like a runner's high, but without the effort.
Some of these guys are good and, lord knows, conventional medicine does precious little for chronic backs, but watch out for the wackos of which there are many. Neurologists clean up the messes that bad chiropractors leave and I have seen a few cases of deadly illness treated by chiropractors for months or years, stringing patients and families along until things went mortally south, one in a teenager with a malignant tumor growing in his spine. There are also neck maneuvers which should be entirely off limits because they can injure arteries which supply the brain and cause strokes and death. Some chiropractors are still in denial about this. I don't think I'd let a chiropractor touch a family member above the shoulders.

Then there's all the made-up, pseudoscientific, nonsense, but that's pretty harmless except to the credit card balance.

Responsible chiropractors refer anything unusual to physicians and don't do dangerous moves.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-11-21, 09:52 AM
WhyFi

Neurologists clean up the messes that bad chiropractors leave and I have seen a few cases of deadly illness treated by chiropractors for months or years, stringing patients and families along until things went mortally south, one in a teenager with a malignant tumor growing in his spine.
Completely bonkers.
Old 01-11-21, 10:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I see what you did there.
Old 01-11-21, 10:10 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
There is a chiropractor in my road club but he switched to an e-trike so I rarely see him anymore. He rode a custom cf recumbent for a few years and sometimes a track bike.
He does mostly spinal decompression these days and has helped a number of people in the club. He wants to see an MRI before he treats anyone with problems.
Old 01-11-21, 10:11 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Responsible chiropractors refer anything unusual to physicians and don't do dangerous moves.
I don't know much about it, but there's celebrity chiro YouTubers. I looked at a few of their videos where they snap necks, other, into place and my reaction is "pass."
Old 01-11-21, 10:15 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Im planning on winter boots next year. Hopefully they will let me exchange them if not I’ll figure something out.
duct tape
Old 01-11-21, 10:17 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

rjones28

Old 01-11-21, 10:18 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Peeing is a big thing between races at regattas. All the boats are milling around in close quarters and many of them have someone hanging off the back with their unit out. It's something female crew have learned to put up, along with using buckets in very close and bouncy quarters on small boats. Some brave women on boats with the right stern configuration will grab the backstay and cantilever off (LSS is adept at this technique, but uses the head during daylight hours). There is a classic repertoire of insults one shouts at the competition when catching them in the act, mainly related to (male) size and women are often among the shouters.

There are stories about coasties and water cops busting people too, but I've never seen that happen.
I know a couple of guys who have received tickets from the state parks department that patrols our lake. In the days when I would do that off the transom, I always figured I would see them before they could see what I was doing due to the relative difference in size. These days we just all use the head since weight is not an issue.
Old 01-11-21, 10:18 AM
WhyFi

I don't know much about it, but there's celebrity chiro YouTubers.
The ones that always have super-hot women in their thumbnails? Never seen 'em.

Old 01-11-21, 10:38 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Nope.

Old 01-11-21, 10:41 AM
WhyFi

I don't know why, but seeing Lake Baikal is on my bucket list. No desire to swim beneath its frozen surface, though.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-11-21, 10:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Monday. Calling it now.
Well?
Old 01-11-21, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

Well?
The days isn't over.
Old 01-11-21, 10:50 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I ride with a guy from Sweden and can confirm Europeans much less uptight about taking a leak. Just be discreet.
Sailors are pretty loose about peeing and nudity in general. But sailors are known to have loose morals anyway. I did one delivery by sail from the Caribbean to NYC with two women and one other man, all friends before our journey. For a week or more I was mostly nude and the females did not wear much either and we are still fiends. There beautiful was a swimming spot on a mountain on the edge of the Catskills with rock ledges, a small cliff and ice cold water and a deep pool for diving. Way back in the hippy '60 dozens of people would show up and no one wore a stitch of clothes. Wearing clothes is not a law of the universe; it is just what you are used to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.