Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Servicing an Ashtabula BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 01:38 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I just stripped down a Schwinn Varsity I picked up from an old farmer. I have done this one time before, on an old Fuju Suncrest I have, and on that, removed the BB, and headset cups. I have the tools to remove and replace them, but as a pure mechanical point, is it beneficial to do so, if you are going to use the same cups? I see some of the rust inside the BB, and am wondering if it may do more harm then good. I would like to do it just for the practice. Having just removed these parts, I haven't really gotten into it to see the rust situation. The exterior looks pretty good. Thank you.
Old 01-11-21, 01:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptMike
I just stripped down a Schwinn Varsity I picked up from an old farmer. I have done this one time before, on an old Fuju Suncrest I have, and on that, removed the BB, and headset cups. I have the tools to remove and replace them, but as a pure mechanical point, is it beneficial to do so, if you are going to use the same cups? I see some of the rust inside the BB, and am wondering if it may do more harm then good. I would like to do it just for the practice. Having just removed these parts, I haven't really gotten into it to see the rust situation. The exterior looks pretty good. Thank you.
There’s no real reason to remove either headset or bottom bracket cups. If you are inspecting for rust, you can look around the cups and see into the frame. Even if you decide to use a treatment of the rust, you probably don’t have to remove the cups. If you are putting in new parts, yes, remove them. But from a maintenance point of view, let the sleeping dog lie.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-11-21, 03:49 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There’s no real reason to remove either headset or bottom bracket cups. If you are inspecting for rust, you can look around the cups and see into the frame. Even if you decide to use a treatment of the rust, you probably don’t have to remove the cups. If you are putting in new parts, yes, remove them. But from a maintenance point of view, let the sleeping dog lie.
Agreed, Never Fix A Running Piece
Old 01-11-21, 03:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I think it is beneficial if you intend to ride the bike and use it for years to come to overhaul it. You don't have to remove cups and things like that but if down the line you needed replacement and they get seized it can be bad news bears trying to get it out then.
Old 01-11-21, 05:43 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I will only say, you never know what evil lurks in the shadows unless you shine a light on it. Many 's the time I have discovered hidden problems I never would have seen if I hadn't taken the time to open things up. Having said that I think the Ashtabula crank is one of the sturdiest pieces of bicycle kit ever invented. Having said that , at Burning M<an, where there are about 80,000 Huffy Cranbrooks tooling around with Ashtabula cranks, the bike shop I volunteered at once opened one up to discover that the entire bearing race had disintegrated spilling bearings on the ground as soon as we unscrewed the non drive side cup.
Old 01-11-21, 11:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I will only say, you never know what evil lurks in the shadows unless you shine a light on it. Many 's the time I have discovered hidden problems I never would have seen if I hadn't taken the time to open things up. Having said that I think the Ashtabula crank is one of the sturdiest pieces of bicycle kit ever invented. Having said that , at Burning M<an, where there are about 80,000 Huffy Cranbrooks tooling around with Ashtabula cranks, the bike shop I volunteered at once opened one up to discover that the entire bearing race had disintegrated spilling bearings on the ground as soon as we unscrewed the non drive side cup.
I agree. After the Nuclear Armageddon, three things will still be around: Keith Richards, Twinkies, and Schwinn Varsities.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 01-14-21, 07:19 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Dog

Thank you guys for the replies. I went and woke the dog. No big deal, just wanted to see what was under there. I do agree, not a lot of need to remove them if you aren't going to replace them.
Old 01-14-21, 09:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...SABEgJJjfD_BwE
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-14-21, 12:38 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
It depends but I usually pop them out on bikes I enjoy restoring. That way I can inspect them for damage and I can check the frame for any small cracks. I also find it easier to polish any rust or corrosion on the outside away and make them look new again. I've seen guys leave BB cups in when painting a frame and it makes a mess.
Old 01-15-21, 07:32 AM
CaptMike

Thanks for the link, dedhed. I ordered a couple of 28TPI cup sets off of Ebay. I have a buddy that has a Varsity that he has kept in great shape, and I am going to go over that for him, and if need be, will replace the BB components.

I don't know if this warrants another thread, but I have ordered some replacement brake/shifter cables for the Varsity, and am having a hard time finding the cable housing for the front brakes and shifters. From what I can see, they don't seem to be universal, as normal housing is. I queried a seller on Ebay about a set of front cable/housing, and they said they would not fit the Varsity. I do want to stick to the white/grey color. Any gouge out there this subject? Thank you all for your information.
Old 01-15-21, 07:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
The cables and housings on your Varsity are the standard universal type that almost all bikes have ever used. You do have some cable fittings that are specific to your bike, don't lose those!
Old 01-15-21, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The cables and housings on your Varsity are the standard universal type that almost all bikes have ever used. You do have some cable fittings that are specific to your bike, don't lose those!
I don’t completely agree. For brake cable, yes, the cable end is just normal road cable. But the shifter cables are probably “lollipop” type which are a disc set on end rather then the cylinder you’ll find on most all modern shifters. You can see what the end looks like here. It’a the lower one. That listing is for 25 of them which is enough lollipop cables to last to the heat death of the universe. If you only need one, Sunlite makes a “universal” cable with both ends.

Cable housing can just be brake cable housing if you want.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-15-21, 09:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t completely agree. For brake cable, yes, the cable end is just normal road cable. But the shifter cables are probably “lollipop” type which are a disc set on end rather then the cylinder you’ll find on most all modern shifters. You can see what the end looks like here. It’a the lower one. That listing is for 25 of them which is enough lollipop cables to last to the heat death of the universe. If you only need one, Sunlite makes a “universal” cable with both ends.

Cable housing can just be brake cable housing if you want.
Good point on the shifter cable ends cycco. But yes, the cable housings are standard fare which seemed to be what OP was questioning.

I've seen some cheap universal cable sets that weren't long enough for some bikes, so maybe that's what the Ebay seller was referring to when he told the OP that they wouldn't fit his bike?