Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Colnago C60 Headset Bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 06:20 PM
sc007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The lower headset bearing on a C60 seems to have some sand/grit in it because I can hear some grinding noises while I turn the bearing. Unlike most headsets when you remove the fork and the bearings and cups just slide out, the headset cups and bearings on C60’s are already pressed into eachother at the Acros factory and then Colnago presses the combination into their frame. I was able to take the bottom seal off in hopes of washing out the bearings but couldn’t get passed the second seal which seems locked into the races.

I have decided the best thing to do is just replace the headset with new ones as they seem very affordable (the bottom only needs replacing but I guess they only come as a set). A quick google search turns up these replacement bearings .Would anyone know if this is the only option for C60's? No Chris King or Cane Creek? The bearings on the C60 now which came preinstalled from the factory are Acros branded.

Thanks
Old 01-12-21, 07:50 AM
bencim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Colnago G3x and have run into the same issue. The factory acros bottom headset bearing gave out after about a 1500km. I had it replaced by an LBS...not sure what bearing they used but it worked well for about 600km and same issue....gritty etc etc. I just had it replaced by another LBS who used a canecreek top and bottom bearing and its not right at all. The preload is way to tight and if you back it off just a bit its too loose. The steer tube seems to be sitting on the cup now as well. Cant see to find any info anywhere...
Old 01-12-21, 10:21 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by sc007
I was able to take the bottom seal off in hopes of washing out the bearings but couldn’t get passed the second seal which seems locked into the races
I suspect that the second seal can be removed with a thin blade tool of your choosing. Just be very careful getting the blade under the seal and should come out easily after that. Flush out with some solvent. wait until the bearings dry out or use an air gun to blow it out and re-grease. For ease of use a good spray can of contact cleaner works well too. Dry's fast, dissolves grease well. Doesn't harm any composite parts that may be in the bearing but just to be safe don't get on paint but no biggie if you do just wipe the surface with any type of mild household cleaner within a few minutes. CRC QD 11 oz. Contact Cleaner-02130-6 - The Home Depot

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-12-21 at 10:29 AM.