Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-08-20, 03:12 PM
IGH_Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
Old 11-08-20, 03:25 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Sell the bike and watch TV

Old 11-08-20, 03:27 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Part of it could be a fitment issue. As for you not enjoying being out there, I'm not sure how to respond to that, as I have been cycling most of my life (from 3 years old). Not because of "fitness", but because I enjoy it. Maybe cycling just isn't for you?

But before you give up, go to someone who knows about bike fit (-ment). You probably have at least your saddle too low and too far forward or back, maybe your handlebars are too low/high, too far forward, or whatever. It's difficult to say much of anything without actually seeing you on the bike, and hopefully also to check if something is wrong with the wheel hubs or whatever.

Edit: Elbows hurting can either be because your handlebars are too straight, that they're too wide, that you cycle with straight arms and "locking them". Or all of the above.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-08-20, 03:35 PM
cloud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Plan shorter rides and plan just to take it easy and "smell the roses" sounds like you are treating it as a chore instead of a treat. In my opinion a nice bike makes a big difference more enjoyable to ride.
Likes For cloud:
Old 11-08-20, 03:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Sell the bike and watch TV
Sounds like a plan.
Old 11-08-20, 03:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I cant imagine participating in a hobby I dont enjoy.

Nobody here knows when you will start to enjoy your hobby.
Old 11-08-20, 03:52 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Every time I get on a bike, it puts a ****-eating grin on my face. Even if it’s just to ride down the block for groceries.

Maybe cycling isn’t for you.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-08-20 at 04:56 PM. Reason: please do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor.
Old 11-08-20, 03:57 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I cant imagine participating in a hobby I dont enjoy.

Nobody here knows when you will start to enjoy your hobby.
I tried fishing once. Bought some gear (not expensive), and quickly realised that although I liked the idea of fishing, I didn't actually like fishing. I'd rather be on my bike or out rowing or sailing. I'm not going fishing again ever. When I want fish, I buy some.
Old 11-08-20, 03:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

You may Like Pig walking?

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-08-20, 04:00 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I wonder if that milky-coffee thing is for the pig or for her? "Here, walk the pig. And hold my cup too". Sort of like a reverse hold-my-beer moment.
Old 11-08-20, 04:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I wonder if that milky-coffee thing is for the pig or for her? "Here, walk the pig. And hold my cup too". Sort of like a reverse hold-my-beer moment.
Pig pee

Old 11-08-20, 04:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Pig pee
Old 11-08-20, 04:06 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Just guessing your conditioning is not that great so you are suffering too much to enjoy your short rides. It gets better so suck it up and stick with it. Try to find some local roads and trails you would find interesting. Find a local C group ride to cut your teeth and see if having some company might perk your enjoyment.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-08-20, 04:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Try gravel riding on a FG or SS bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-08-20, 04:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Maybe you got the wrong type of bike. How about a tadpole trike. The are absolutely fun to ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-08-20, 04:12 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

2010 When I was 68 y/o My First 2,000 Mile month.

Old 11-08-20, 04:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If you’re not lacking motivation, set some goals and make a plan
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-08-20, 04:21 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Don't always ride a predetermined route, explore your town/city and you may find something new that interest you....a park, store, restaurant, etc.

As mentioned above, If you ride solo join up with a friend or group of others... sometimes solo rides can get boring.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-08-20, 04:41 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Assuming that your fit is correct....when you achieve fitness you will find cycling more enjoyable.
Old 11-08-20, 04:53 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I don't think many here can empathize with your situation. We all come here because we love cycling, even if we don't treat each other very well.

You need to find something you enjoy.
Old 11-08-20, 04:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Every time I get on a bike, it puts a shet-eating grin on my face. Even if it’s just to ride down the block for groceries.

Maybe cycling isn’t for you.
Maybe bicycle racing, or at least "training" would be just the ticket for the OP; no need for smiling with that hobby. It seems as if a "Pain IS Gain" attitude and taste for masochism would put him in good stead with that crowd.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-08-20, 05:07 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
You may be going out too often. Give yourself a day off in between rides. Once you get a comfortable base, try alternating long and short days.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 11-08-20, 05:21 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I will reiterate that you should go on smaller trips to places you'd like to see, or perhaps just pack a lunch, ride to somewhere that would be nice to eat your lunch at, and then go home. See if you can find some small stuff "to do" like that, where it doesn't matter just how long your trip is. Go for a short ride to pick up some small and lightweight thing, go for lunch, ride to a place to pick berries, ride to a harbour if you like boats and are nearby, or even just ride to a mail box nearby, post your letter and take the scenic route both ways.
But you should get someone to check your bike-fit. I'm quite confident it will help you immensely.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-08-20, 05:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time.
That's the same way with every aerobic sport. When you are running, the first mile is always the toughest. You feel like stopping and going back home. Once you get over that hump then you can continue on for miles.

Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.
The secret to planning a good route is this: always go out with the headwind in your face, and finish in the direction with the tailwind. That way you always finish the ride feeling great.

Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
YES. I am guessing your 3 speed bike is a utility type bike. That style of bicycle is designed for sauntering down to the corner store or the subway station down the block. It's not for riding 10 miles at a time. Get yourself a proper drop bar bike where you can stretch out your legs and put down some power. Those overpasses and underpasses will be fast and fun instead of an exercise in frustration.
Old 11-08-20, 05:29 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
Welcome to the beginners club. In many places the spring starting all over club as well. You will find that the most you stretch out your rides the better you feel on the shorter rides but none of that is going to happen in three weeks. I've been riding 40 years, I'm 76 and have put in over 3000 miles this year despite the lockdown closing most of the coffee shops I would stop at. Now a long ride is only 26 miles instead of 50 miles and I have over 105,000 feet of climbing.- real climbing, not overpasses. When I am going to do a metric century (100 km or 62 miles) I build up to 80 or so miles and then when the metric is over I'm surprisingly relaxed. You should probably find a local group that has beginner/moderate and fast rides so that you have another level to shoot for. I ride with a guy that is 88 years old and he is beginning to complain about being to tired after a ride. But when the ride starts the ******* takes off like he's trying to get away from the boogeyman.

The harder level rides for your fitness and strength NEVER get to be fun except on the slower parts. But the moderate levels begin to be fun pretty rapidly. Hang in there and be aware that fun is in the eye of the beholder.
Likes For RiceAWay:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.