Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

ebike - the trip around the world

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 12-05-20, 01:46 AM
msyrek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to take an ebike on a trip around the world.
What are the best batteries?
Should I have a spare battery?
Do they ship the battery anywhere in the world in case of failure?
Old 12-05-20, 12:57 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
Most American ebikes will be illegal in most European countries.

Much of the time you will be riding in rural areas, and finding electricity will be a problem.

You would definitely want a spare battery.

From my point of view, you have choices. But you won't like them.

If you are set on going around the world, get a good regular touring bike. Look at Waterford.

If you want to tour with an ebike, buy a Gazelle or Riese & Muller after you get to Europe. Europe is a fabulous place to ride a bike. Look at bikes with 2 batteries built in, and then carry a spare.

If you want to e-tour on a budget, bike across America, same 3 battery setup.

Which brings me to my last point. An ebike with 3 batteries will weigh around 70 pounds. All the gear that goes with touring will add 25 pounds, give or take. Add water, a lock and other junk and your bike will be around 100 pounds. When you have to pedal uphill for 20 miles (or more) late in the day, with dead batteries or a motor problem, that is going to be just plain brutal.
Old 12-05-20, 01:16 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Also, if you think you're going to ship batteries or batteries with the bike investigate thoroughly. It's a quagmire with big potential fines.
Old 12-05-20, 03:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Touring the world with an E-bike could prove tough (as others have mentioned) but if I was to do it this would be my chosen vehicle: https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/super...3_080402311049

I had a customer who did a tour of Africa on his Delite a few years ago. I don't really want full suspension for touring personally because I wouldn't really want to hit trails like that with all my gear.

Though potentially I may go chain and derailleur option just for ease of replacing parts. Though with the ability to ship parts just about anywhere these days it isn't such a huge deal.

However like late said a good non-electric bike would be best for touring. Co-Motion makes some great stuff that is very touring specific and even some world touring stuff but there are also plenty of other custom builders as well like Waterford and even some more stock options which could work.
Old 12-06-20, 05:48 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Maybe one of these?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...7a4bcab4bXChyl

Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-07-20, 05:37 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
If you spend every night in a hotel you can just recharge your battery when you sleep.

Met a couple riding the Katy trail that way. No camping gear. Just credit cards, some clothes and a pair of chargers.

Oh, and an obnoxious boom box.

Very few batteries will support 8+ hours a day riding with any sort of assist level. You will need to schedule your stops properly while learning how to conserve your battery.
Old 12-08-20, 06:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Those stickers are hilarious on the solar canopy.
Old 12-10-20, 01:00 PM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I think its doable. dont think you can do it all on the same bike(well at least not on the same batteries). best bet would be to buy a bike in say Europe ride that all over there, then buy a bike in North America and ride that one south.
Old 12-11-20, 10:33 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I followed their blog when they first started out. I think most tourers on regular bikes look at 60 miles a day, and this is achieveable on an ebike if you average 11 mph for 6 hours, Carry a second battery. You're going to be pedalling. If you want to motor along on throttle by ebike, might as well do it with gasoline.

https://www.cyclevolta.com/story/ebi...-us-on-ebikes/
Old 12-11-20, 11:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
There was a couple that went around the world on Haibikes four or so years ago, but AFAIK they were supported by the company. I think shipping regulations for batteries were pretty lax at the time.
Old 12-11-20, 02:14 PM
chancelucky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
The biggest impediment is that it takes a long time to get a battery from near empty to some reasonable charge level. At minimum, it's two batteries and charger with all the issues that come with shipping and charging them. There are some
e-bikes that are somewhat easier to pedal than others, but that's really more for times when you can't find a place to charge your batteries (something that's not a simple matter in unfamiliar countries). Repairs may also be an issue if you have
motor or controller issues. People have, however, done extended e-bike tours. There's a thread dedicated to e-bike touring on electricbikereview.com and any number of helpful people who are pretty immersed in the details of e-bike world.