Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to fit JIS carbon fork with ISO headset?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to fit JIS carbon fork with ISO headset?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 06:05 PM
HearEyeAm
Track Bike Ninja Roadie

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista, FrankenSteel Track Monster, Cannondale 2.8, Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I went to the Tange website. Found this:

Black cartridge headset for traditional but threadless. 25.4 mm steerer (1"), 30.0 or 30.2 headtube ID, 27.0 or 26.4 crown. Took me maybe 2 minutes to find.
Do they come in silver? Jeez, I have been searching for a week now for this. I did find a origin8 headset like this but didnt want to pull the trigger on it bc i wanted to see about the CK alteration but honestly i think i might just call it a day with this! Thank you!!!
Old 01-09-21, 06:27 PM
HearEyeAm
Track Bike Ninja Roadie

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista, FrankenSteel Track Monster, Cannondale 2.8, Burley Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the Tange
Black cartridge headset for traditional but threadless. 25.4 mm steerer (1"), 30.0 or 30.2 headtube ID, 27.0 or 26.4 crown. Took me maybe 2 minutes to find.
Im looking online at it. So it comes with both crown races? I found it in silver too. Thanks again
Old 01-09-21, 08:45 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HearEyeAm
Noted. I am currently looking for a bike frame builder in NYC to lathe the crown race so that it is concentric. I dont think im skilled enough with the drill to do it by hand. Will report back on my findings. Thanks for your advice.
You might be able to use a straight reamer to trim evenly. They talk about "high speed" in the product description but I believe you could do it by hand with a suitable T handle. And an inside mic or use the inside points of a caliper.

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Reamers/...node=256298011
Likes For Aroyobob:
Old 01-10-21, 11:39 PM
HearEyeAm
Track Bike Ninja Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the Tange website. Found this
I have been searching for this online. And I messaged Tange Seiki with no reply. I asked some other sellers about this and they said all their 1” headsets come with 26.4 and have never seen them with 27mm. Do you know where I can buy this Tange Seiki Classic 1” threadless headset in silver with the 27mm crown race? Im falling short on this one. I was so close to getting one. But no one can assure me that they have the measurements I need. OR, should i buy the Tange Seiki silver 1” threadless headset, which i am assuming from the diagram that it fits BOTH 30.2mm and 30.0mm headtubes, and just buy the Tange Seiki 27mm crown race separately and also assume that it will fit correctly. I still am wondering why this issue is so rare that I have to go through all this trouble. Am I the only one with this issue?

Last edited by HearEyeAm; 01-11-21 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-11-21, 09:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by HearEyeAm
I have been searching for this online. And I messaged Tange Seiki with no reply. I asked some other sellers about this and they said all their 1” headsets come with 26.4 and have never seen them with 27mm. Do you know where I can buy this Tange Seiki Classic 1” threadless headset in silver with the 27mm crown race? Im falling short on this one. I was so close to getting one. But no one can assure me that they have the measurements I need. OR, should i buy the Tange Seiki silver 1” threadless headset, which i am assuming from the diagram that it fits BOTH 30.2mm and 30.0mm headtubes, and just buy the Tange Seiki 27mm crown race separately and also assume that it will fit correctly. I still am wondering why this issue is so rare that I have to go through all this trouble. Am I the only one with this issue?
Have you tried a bike shop? I'd be very surprised if they cannot order one through QBP.

Edit: 30.0 and 30.2 are going to be two different headsets. (You can sometimes successfully mangle a 27.2 seatpost lug to grab a 27.0 seatpost but that lug and tube will not be the same after. Keep your life simple, Don't even think about it here.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-11-21 at 09:49 AM. Reason: see post
Old 01-11-21, 08:06 PM
HearEyeAm
Track Bike Ninja Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried a bike shop? I'd be very surprised if they cannot order one through QBP.

Edit: 30.0 and 30.2 are going to be two different headsets. (You can sometimes successfully mangle a 27.2 seatpost lug to grab a 27.0 seatpost but that lug and tube will not be the same after. Keep your life simple, Don't even think about it here.)
so i called up a few different bike shops and one said that I would need to talk to a frame builder and the other said I would need to wait 6 months before I could get a headset like the Tange Seiki, if they even have what i need, but that he could get me an origin8 in a week or 2. I think my best bet for a high quality name brand headset is to find a frame builder to alter the crown race to fit my fork. Either that or settle for “less”. At this point im almost ready to settle however, the search for a frame builder continues.
Old 01-12-21, 12:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
This thread is still going? Impressive.
Its still just a headset- buy the 1 that for sure works and call it a day. Or buy the one that is high priced and pay a machinist even more money to make it fit.

Either option will produce a component that allows your wheel to turn smoothly.
Old 01-15-21, 09:03 PM
HearEyeAm
Track Bike Ninja Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This thread is still going? Impressive.
Its still just a headset- buy the 1 that for sure works and call it a day. Or buy the one that is high priced and pay a machinist even more money to make it fit.

Either option will produce a component that allows your wheel to turn smoothly.
Yes it’s still going. I understand its only a basic bike component but i wanted the highest quality possible for everything on my bike. I’m still looking for a frame builder to help me make a crown race...

In the meantime, in order to use my carbon fork and ride now, I’m going to purchase an Origin8 headset. The ONLY (silver) threadless 1” headset I’ve found with a 30.2 mm cup size that comes with both 26.4 and 27mm crown races. I still am going to pursue my chris king or campy headset dream and will post my progress when I get it done.