Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Welding Aluminium Frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Welding Aluminium Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 04:22 AM
Smeths

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welding Aluminium Frame

Hello,

I have a Carrera bike with two small cracks in the headset.

I like to get them welded. I live in Birmingham UK. Anyone know a good bike welder?

Regards

John S
Old 01-13-21, 04:48 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It is most likely 6061 aluminum and can't be safely welded without post weld heat treatment. There is no cost effective method of doing that, so it is usually time to get a new frame, if they crack.
Old 01-13-21, 04:56 AM
Smeths

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It is most likely 6061 aluminum and can't be safely welded without post weld heat treatment. There is no cost effective method of doing that, so it is usually time to get a new frame, if they crack.
Thanks we try and get more info about the frame
Old 01-13-21, 04:57 AM
Smeths

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks will try and get more information about the frame. Is your point true about all aluminium frames or do they differ?
Old 01-13-21, 06:18 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Smeths
Thanks will try and get more information about the frame. Is your point true about all aluminium frames or do they differ?
It depends on where they crack, there are threads on here where people have welded the rear of their frames, but I am not sure whether they would do the same for the headstock.
Old 01-13-21, 06:18 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
You might ask around some more. I see differing opinions on the "post weld heat treatment".
Old 01-13-21, 06:31 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Google metal fabrication, there might be a place near you.
Old 01-13-21, 08:04 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by Smeths
7005 frames can be welded and aged at room temperature for a month or so to recover most of its original strength. 6061 requires post weld heat treatment to return it to anywhere near its original strength. If the repair is in a low stress area or a low risk area, such as chainstay or rear dropout, a repair may be successful without post weld heat treatment. I would not risk welding anything in the head tube area. A failure of a chainstay or dropout may cause a crash or just an inconvenient walk home. A failure at the head tube is most likely a trip to the hospital or possibly death. This is not a place for opinions, metallurgy is a science and these things have been tested by people who specialize in that science.
Old 01-13-21, 08:18 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've welded 6061-T6 and can guarantee you that the metal is much lower in strength after welding, in the heat affected zone. It's also easy to anneal this alloy, with a propane torch. It only requires around 700 degrees.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-13-21, 08:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I have seen posts from people that had a head tube failure. One in particular led to a month in the hospital and extensive facial reconstruction surgery. It's not just a figure of speech.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-13-21, 10:25 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
7005 frames can be welded and aged at room temperature for a month or so to recover most of its original strength. 6061 requires post weld heat treatment to return it to anywhere near its original strength. If the repair is in a low stress area or a low risk area, such as chainstay or rear dropout, a repair may be successful without post weld heat treatment. I would not risk welding anything in the head tube area. A failure of a chainstay or dropout may cause a crash or just an inconvenient walk home. A failure at the head tube is most likely a trip to the hospital or possibly death. This is not a place for opinions, metallurgy is a science and these things have been tested by people who specialize in that science.
note, @dsaul builds a lot of frames he knows of which he speaks.

More directly, trash the frame, the success factor of a fix is low, the injury factor of a failure is high.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-13-21, 10:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You should contact both Carrera and the place you bought the bike from. Especially if this is a relatively new bike. Some manufacturers will do something, some won't. If you don't ask them, for certain they won't do anything.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-13-21, 10:38 AM
dsaul

The Halford's website claims a lifetime frame warranty on the Carrera frames that I looked at. It can't hurt to ask about warranty replacement of the cracked frame.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-13-21, 11:06 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I'd like to address something said above - that if the crack is in a 'low stress area' then a simple weld repair might be good enough... well there wouldn't be a crack if it were in a 'low stress area'. Any weld repair is unlikely to be as strong as the original build, and if it cracked, the original build was not strong enough.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-13-21, 02:39 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
The frame is shot. In the past I tried to get my Aluminum BMX welded and it literally cracked again around the weld. The problem is Aluminum shatters and you get all these micro fractures. The only way it might be possible is to get a whole new head tube welded in, but I have a feeling that's more expensive then what you want to pay.
Old 01-13-21, 03:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’d ask in the frame builders sub-forum. I’m sure there are people over who can give a definitive answer.

My guess is the entire frame will need to be annealed; not sure if prior or post weld repair.

Then the whole frame needs to be taken back to T6.

How much movement, or if a fixture is needed, will have to be answered by someone who has experience doing this.

Of course the paint will be stripped off first.

Needless to say, you probably need to really really like the frame.

John

Edit added: You do need to make sure there is a crack in the weld and not just the paint.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-13-21 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 06:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Unless the bike was raced by Pantani or something I doubt it is worth it and even then I would still just wall hang it. No need to kill yourself over any bike even if it were brazed, raced and signed by Eddy Merckx himself after being blessed by the Pope at the Colnago factory with Tulio Campagnolo also present with a special one off gruppo for the bike.

Any of the modern stuff they are selling on Halfords is most certainly not worth the risk. They are all low initial cost bikes and if they can replace it go for it if not just hang it on the wall or try and recycle it or toss it and get something steel, easier and safer to repair if need be.
Old 01-13-21, 07:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Please don't cross post in framebuilders, enough framebuilders have chimed in already
Likes For unterhausen: