Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Old 01-04-21, 02:14 AM
  #1476  
BrisVegas
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 1

Bikes: Bianchi, Merida, Speedwell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?? 1990s Virata ??

Recently picked up a Virata. Japanese catalogues have it in production from 1991 to 1996 [and in the 2000s], but none of the photos are in the deep purple colourway this one has. (Can’t post photos as new to Forum).

Front triangle is carbon tubes with Cro mo/Tange (?) lugs and rear triangle. [Clear over the carbon to show the weave.

Rear dropout stamped “Richley”.

I know its not custom, as I found another in the US listed as 1994 model, which has a different but close serial number.

Serial number appears to be H3M011391. BB is English (1.37 68) (not sure)

I think it was made in Japan or Taiwan.

The seller told me he bought the frame 2nd hand from a bike shop some 15 years ago and they built it up out of bits and pieces from a bike he had.

The 90s catalogues list it as with Ultegra. Bike has 9 speed with 600 headset bearings and FD, and 105 cranks and RD. “105” is in yellow. BB is Octolink, which I think came out in 1996 (?).

Keen to know as much as I can, especially the original specs and the Pantone number for the purple, as it needs a touch up.

Thanks

Last edited by BrisVegas; 01-04-21 at 02:20 AM.
BrisVegas is offline  
Old 01-05-21, 05:30 PM
  #1477  
treedc
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I inherited a bike from my father in law and would like to know the model, manufacture date, etc...the serial number is 59 A597p (I would post an image but this is my first post) I am thinking a 1993 Minimax record from my research. It has record-c brakes and record derailleurs Thanks! Reed
treedc is offline  
Old 01-20-21, 10:23 PM
  #1478  
Deadhead72
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1986 Limited

My 1986 Limited serial# BS803193
Deadhead72 is offline  
Old 01-23-21, 11:15 PM
  #1479  
Deadhead72
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My new to me 1986 Limited. I swapped out the black stem for sliver, and had to change the white hoods because they were really gummy. Serial number is in post above this.
Deadhead72 is offline  
Likes For Deadhead72:
Old 01-25-21, 03:55 PM
  #1480  
jurijn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! What an nice threat!
I've readed a lot , and would like to thank you all.
Just bought a yellow/goldish Bianchi? frame last week, but with no componets. Only the stem is on it.
The only thing i found was a sticker: Made in EEC? Racing BCOR? on the frame
on the rear end a sticker: Conforme aux exigences de securite Lot de Production: Nr. 106
on the bottom i found a mark with number: 017187 F6 and H55

Anyone know it's a Bianchi or knows more about it?
jurijn is offline  
Old 02-05-21, 08:07 PM
  #1481  
Tipmann
Senior Member
 
Tipmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I have a Bianchi with 8M and 9014 on the bottom bracket which also has a screw on the brake bridge. The tubing sticker says its triple butted formula two Columbus tubing if that helps. The bike also has a black stem and a red square near the Bianchi decals.

The owner couldn't tell me much about the bike other than the fact that some components had been replaced. I don't believe it came with a Shimano 600 groupset but I could be wrong.

I'm having a very hard time finding the model of this bike so help would be appreciated!

Edit: here are some photos.




Last edited by Tipmann; 02-06-21 at 09:35 AM.
Tipmann is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 11:45 AM
  #1482  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,308

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
Recently picked up a Virata. Japanese catalogues have it in production from 1991 to 1996 [and in the 2000s], but none of the photos are in the deep purple colourway this one has. (Can’t post photos as new to Forum).

Front triangle is carbon tubes with Cro mo/Tange (?) lugs and rear triangle. [Clear over the carbon to show the weave.

Rear dropout stamped “Richley”.

I know its not custom, as I found another in the US listed as 1994 model, which has a different but close serial number.

Serial number appears to be H3M011391. BB is English (1.37 68) (not sure)

I think it was made in Japan or Taiwan.

The seller told me he bought the frame 2nd hand from a bike shop some 15 years ago and they built it up out of bits and pieces from a bike he had.

The 90s catalogues list it as with Ultegra. Bike has 9 speed with 600 headset bearings and FD, and 105 cranks and RD. “105” is in yellow. BB is Octolink, which I think came out in 1996 (?).

Keen to know as much as I can, especially the original specs and the Pantone number for the purple, as it needs a touch up.

Thanks
Do you know if Australia is a separate market or they get the same bikes as the Japanese market? Here in the US ou '94 carbon Virata was festooned with 105 and came in a "black sapphire" which was clear coated carbon tubes and a fade dark blue at the lucgs and rear triangle. The '95 was black/red with RSX kit. and I think that was the end of the bonded carbon here in the US.
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 11:55 AM
  #1483  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,308

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Tipmann View Post
Hello,

I have a Bianchi with 8M and 9014 on the bottom bracket which also has a screw on the brake bridge. The tubing sticker says its triple butted formula two Columbus tubing if that helps. The bike also has a black stem and a red square near the Bianchi decals.

The owner couldn't tell me much about the bike other than the fact that some components had been replaced. I don't believe it came with a Shimano 600 groupset but I could be wrong.

I'm having a very hard time finding the model of this bike so help would be appreciated!

Edit: here are some photos.

Your pics are too small to see any details. I suspect your frame started life as '88 Campione de Italia. The tubing it TreTubi Formula 2 (YUGE debates rage on just what this tubing is but likley SL main tubes, maybe SP in the biggest frames, and a something like Alle or Cromor rear). I like to see a pic of that errant screw. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 12:03 PM
  #1484  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,308

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadhead72 View Post

My new to me 1986 Limited. I swapped out the black stem for sliver, and had to change the white hoods because they were really gummy. Serial number is in post above this.
that 1988 Limited is a great looking Bianchi! The '86 as well as the '87 were still using the Formula II tubing. Depending on the tubing this might even be an '89. We sold a fair amount of them, for the price it was a good deal, at around $850 (I only have the '89 price) it rode pretty well and was popular with tri guys
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 12:10 PM
  #1485  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,308

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by treedc View Post
Hi I inherited a bike from my father in law and would like to know the model, manufacture date, etc...the serial number is 59 A597p (I would post an image but this is my first post) I am thinking a 1993 Minimax record from my research. It has record-c brakes and record derailleurs Thanks! Reed

Hello Reed, welcome to the forums. What country are you and the bike in? MiniMax is kind of rare her in the states, at least I've only ever seen one in person (which I sold to a great customer) and maybe 4 online. Bianchi USA offered them in '92 but thee was a separate Reporto Corse catalog in '93 that still listed them.

I'd love to see pics. You need 10 post over 2 days before the gate keepers let you post pics. You can upload them to your album and we can sleuth them out and post them. You could also just email them to me and I'll get them posted. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 01:36 PM
  #1486  
Tipmann
Senior Member
 
Tipmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
Your pics are too small to see any details. I suspect your frame started life as '88 Campione de Italia. The tubing it TreTubi Formula 2 (YUGE debates rage on just what this tubing is but likley SL main tubes, maybe SP in the biggest frames, and a something like Alle or Cromor rear). I like to see a pic of that errant screw. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com
Thank you for the reply!

If you right click on the pictures and open the links in a new tab, they should be a little bigger. If that doesn't work I can email you. Please let me know!
Tipmann is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 02:17 PM
  #1487  
Deadhead72
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
that 1988 Limited is a great looking Bianchi! The '86 as well as the '87 were still using the Formula II tubing. Depending on the tubing this might even be an '89. We sold a fair amount of them, for the price it was a good deal, at around $850 (I only have the '89 price) it rode pretty well and was popular with tri guys
Thanks! Yep have since figured out that it’s a 1988. Confused originally because someone has posted the 1988 catalog online and titled it 1986. I love it! It rides so smooth compared to my carbon bikes.
Deadhead72 is offline  
Likes For Deadhead72:
Old 02-12-21, 02:05 PM
  #1488  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 241

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 71 Posts
Craigs list buy Bianchi Campione d'Italia (photo heavy)

I haven't lusted after Bianchi bikes, I appreciate them, the color, the history, Italian steel...but when I saw this listing on Craigs list I was intrigued. The seller said he bought it new in 89, he thought, and it was all original except the stem and the brake levers. Listed price $400.00. I am bored right now and was looking at a frame and fork (Tange) on Ebay for $149.00, so I thought a complete bike for a couple of hundred more might be a good deal. I did some research on the frame and found a little info. I tried to see what the components were but his photos were blurry. I was sure they weren't Campy and kinda sure they they weren't Shimano.


I finally found some info on the 1989 Campione d'Italia that mentioned Suntour Quattro and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

I picked it up today and feel that I got my money's worth. He bought it in 89 rode it a bit, he said not more than 100 miles week, and bought another bike in 200 and put this on aside. He got it out last summer and said he put less than 30 miles on it and decided to sell it.

Serial number is 5583, 59cm












Hope to get out and ride it soon, the temp today was 14 so I'll wait till it gets to 30 for a good shake down ride.
Jmpierce is offline  
Old 02-12-21, 02:07 PM
  #1489  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 241

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 71 Posts
More picts...




First step, complete tear down, clean and wax frame, lube all bearings, new cables and Celeste housing, and try to find a set of Modolo levers that aren't too expensive...

Last edited by Jmpierce; 02-12-21 at 02:16 PM.
Jmpierce is offline  
Old 02-12-21, 03:13 PM
  #1490  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,308

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce View Post
I haven't lusted after Bianchi bikes, I appreciate them, the color, the history, Italian steel...but when I saw this listing on Craigs list I was intrigued. The seller said he bought it new in 89, he thought, and it was all original except the stem and the brake levers. Listed price $400.00. I am bored right now and was looking at a frame and fork (Tange) on Ebay for $149.00, so I thought a complete bike for a couple of hundred more might be a good deal. I did some research on the frame and found a little info. I tried to see what the components were but his photos were blurry. I was sure they weren't Campy and kinda sure they they weren't Shimano.


I finally found some info on the 1989 Campione d'Italia that mentioned Suntour Quattro and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

I picked it up today and feel that I got my money's worth. He bought it in 89 rode it a bit, he said not more than 100 miles week, and bought another bike in 200 and put this on aside. He got it out last summer and said he put less than 30 miles on it and decided to sell it.

Serial number is 5583, 59cm

Hope to get out and ride it soon, the temp today was 14 so I'll wait till it gets to 30 for a good shake down ride.
that is a nice clean ‘89 CdI and looks in good shape. Sadly the decals were horrible in ‘88/89. The group is an Ofmega Quattro featuring part like the crank from Ofmega, Rebranded Modolo brakes and Suntour derailleurs. Personally I’d leave those brake levers or look for Campi brake levers from that era or newer. I never liked the feel of the Modolo levers.
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-12-21, 07:29 PM
  #1491  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 241

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 71 Posts
bianchigirll, It is very clean, a little paint chipping but other wise its in great shape. I know of a couple of the Modolo levers at the local co-op and I was thinking about replacing these but maybe I'll try something else.I think it was one of your posts that led me to the history of the Quattro components. I stripped it, cleaned all the components and cleaned and waxed the frame. It has a Shimano cartridge bearing bottom bracket that I'm guessing isn't original.

Do you know what stem was spec'd on these?
Jmpierce is offline  
Old 02-13-21, 09:30 AM
  #1492  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,618
Mentioned: 555 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,061 Times in 796 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce View Post
...Do you know what stem was spec'd on these?
The OEM spec handlebar stem was an ITM (Italmanubri) 200. The present stem appears to be a Tioga T-Bone, which was a pretty popular aftermarket stem.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 02-13-21, 09:55 AM
  #1493  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 241

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 71 Posts
Thanks T-Mar. The seller said he had the shop switch out the stem when he bought it so this stem has been on it since new.
Jmpierce is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Katoramirez
Classic & Vintage
8
01-22-21 05:22 AM
Sumpan
Classic & Vintage
3
01-22-21 01:34 AM
Tracy94
Classic & Vintage
1
01-21-21 11:39 PM
dan11
Classic & Vintage
15
09-20-20 05:58 AM
AS Collie
Classic & Vintage
5
04-11-11 09:09 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.