Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

3rd Annual 50+ Ride? Anyone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 06:56 PM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ann Arbor is a college town - the ride will be in the summer months. Maybe you can arrange to rent dorm rooms for the group for the duration of the event? Some universities will do this and it is usually an inexpensive alternative - they have a lot of empty rooms in the summer.
Old 11-30-10, 04:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
The U of M has some level of occupancy due to summer projects, institutes, math, music, athletics literature camps, and visiting academics programs, but there may be some room. The Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society website (www.aabts.org) has a page for the One Hell of a Ride, and it has links to lodging and dining options (I don't think "pie" was listed explicitly, but we do have Zingerman's). Keep in mind that Chelsea, Michigan is where this ride begins and ends, and that is 20 miles west of Ann Arbor central. You could tack on an intercity ride, but most just drive. The U might not be the best lodging option. That's one reason I think the best resource is the AABTS page. I would want to be close to Grizzly Peak and the Ann Arbor Brewing Company, the best brewpubs with food, and in walking distance to Zingerman's Deli.

I haven't been here for a few days and don't have time to review the whole thread right now, but my recollection is that perhaps half a dozen parties might be interested in coming to Ann Arbor. It's not a big block of rooms.

But, I can talk to the U. I'd prefer that booking be done on an individual basis, but maybe we can decide here to all be in the same place(s).
Old 12-01-10, 04:35 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Don't bother with dorm room research on my account. A decent motel with good access to dining would be my preference. And, as you say, the group size will be fairly small and subject to change.
Old 12-13-10, 04:28 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Bump up and keep grinding ...
Old 12-13-10, 04:33 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It was nice having a mutual motel with a restaurant on premises - although, for a couple of folks the restaurant did not meet their culinary standards, but, for non-picky me, it was great. The motel also had a decent free breakfast included, which was great for those of us getting up and bicycling early, while it was still cool.
Old 12-13-10, 04:45 PM
Road Fan

I've been swamped by work, and also mulling over the liability question combined with a bit of research. Work is not finished, but I think I'm settled on liability.

My understanding of the AABTS participation terms and conditions is that no liability insurance is offered to ride participants on this ride nor any other ride. This means us. In addition, I will not be providing any insurance. If anyone who wants to ride this event or any other is not certain they are covered for what may happen, he or she should work with their insurance agent to resolve their concern.

The AABTS, and most other bike clubs, carry insurance to protect themselves against rider claims against them, and perhaps other matters as well. They are NOT insuring us. Unless some really bright ideas are lurking out there in 50+er land?
Old 12-13-10, 04:51 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
It was nice having a mutual motel with a restaurant on premises - although, for a couple of folks the restaurant did not meet their culinary standards, but, for non-picky me, it was great. The motel also had a decent free breakfast included, which was great for those of us getting up and bicycling early, while it was still cool.
There are a bunch of motels here to choose from, either with food, dining, or nearby restaurants. One question is: do we want to be close to the ride or close to the nightlife, or what?

We have some really good restaurants (all cuisines), an Irish pub, several brewpubs, a professional folkie live music place, sometimes outdoor festivals, bookstores, sushi, a pretty good mall, some antiquing, ... I guess this isn't ALL nightlife.
Old 12-13-10, 04:53 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If they carry insurance through LAB, as I recall - there may be some minor amount of medical insurance. However, given my one-night bill of $143,500 recently, I would suggest each person be sure they carry their own major medical that would be accepted in a possible out-of-your-state location.
Old 12-13-10, 06:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've been swamped by work, and also mulling over the liability question combined with a bit of research. Work is not finished, but I think I'm settled on liability.

My understanding of the AABTS participation terms and conditions is that no liability insurance is offered to ride participants on this ride nor any other ride. ..The AABTS, and most other bike clubs, carry insurance to protect themselves against rider claims against them, and perhaps other matters as well. They are NOT insuring us. Unless some really bright ideas are lurking out there in 50+er land?
Hi Road Fan,

Thanks for all your efforts. Perhaps you noted on the Fifty Plus thread re 2011 Goals that the OHR was on my list. As a first step I put in for that week off at work. I noted your post on that thread:

...Work out handling half a dozen or so BFers if they come to Ann Arbor to ride our big local ride in July. This is probably the most challenging part...
As one who raised that question of liability, I brought it up entirely with regards to the protection of any host of such an event, beyond the AABTS itself, which I was sure was insured against any claims. I did not even consider being insured by them for my benefit; personally I'm all set there.

There are a bunch of motels here to choose from, either with food, dining, or nearby restaurants. One question is: do we want to be close to the ride or close to the nightlife, or what?

We have some really good restaurants [etc]...I guess this isn't ALL nightlife.
BTW I heartily second your endorsement of Ann Arbor as a destination with many distractions. I would think that most who might come would be able to transport their own bikes to the start, and near AA would be a better place to hang out.

Jim

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-13-10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 07:45 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi Road Fan,

Thanks for all your efforts. Perhaps you noted on the Fifty Plus thread re 2011 Goals that the OHR was on my list. As a first step I put in for that week off at work. I noted your post on that thread:

As one who raised that question of liability, I brought it up entirely with regards to the protection of any host of such an event, beyond the AABTS itself, which I was sure was insured against any claims. I did not even consider being insured by them for my benefit; personally I'm all set there.

BTW I heartily second your endorsement of Ann Arbor as a destination with many distractions. I would think that most who might come would be able to transport their own bikes to the start, and near AA would be a better place to hang out.

Jim
+1 I would also like to be able to do some shorter bike rides from the motel.
Old 12-14-10, 08:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Ann Arbor/Chelsea is just down the road from me - about an hour. Ironically, I'm taking a trip to the west coast as soon as my wife's school lets out (teacher) and July 9 might be cutting it close. I'll for sure be there at OHR if I'm back from the trip. In the other direction from AA, there's also a possibility of piggy-backing onto TCBA rides, since they host rides almost every day of the week during summer months.
Old 12-14-10, 10:02 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
I'm game for a Eugene OR ride. I have a few extra bikes I could bring.
Old 12-18-10, 02:15 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Ann Arbor/Chelsea is just down the road from me - about an hour. Ironically, I'm taking a trip to the west coast as soon as my wife's school lets out (teacher) and July 9 might be cutting it close. I'll for sure be there at OHR if I'm back from the trip. In the other direction from AA, there's also a possibility of piggy-backing onto TCBA rides, since they host rides almost every day of the week during summer months.
Blazing, where are you? I'd be glad to join up for a ride sometime, if you'd like - OHR or not!

Later in the summer, I'm planning to do the Shoreline Tours Western Michigan 6-day tour, New Buffalo to Traverse City.
Old 12-18-10, 04:14 PM
Road Fan

Hi Road Fan,

Jim
My goals don't explicitly include RIDING the OHR, but to amicably host the BFers, even if it's just you and Billy, with family members as may be. Mrs. Road Fan will be riding it, too. A much bigger goal I have is to ride the Shorleline Western Michigan ride, which is 345 miles in 6 days. It follows the western edge of Michigan from the Indiana border to Traverse City. I did a Shoreline Tour last summer, and it was a blast. Louis was there, it was before the Finger Lakes event. But, the OHR is on my training plan, which is focused on the Shoreline ride.

I understand the purpose of liability insurance to protect the organizer, as well. As you surmise, the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society is insured. I am only insured as a private individual, so I can't be seen as an organizer. So, I invite you all to come to Ann Arbor and enjoy it and the One Helluva Ride, but I can't be an explicit organizer of side rides. I'd be glad to share some of my favorite routes, however. But it has to be clearly understood as a ride among friends, with democratic decision making.

Mrs. RF and I often take our bikes to Chelsea ((a 30 minute drive to where the OHR will start), park the car, and head out from there. We put two bikes inside the Prius with the rear seats folded down. We can also put a triple rack on the back of the car, and carry a third rider, his gear, and of course bikes on the back. What we can do for the BFers is use our second car with bikes on the back, as well. But by that time I can also share Google maps with good driving instructions. As I said, it's 30 minutes from AA.

So we still need to talk about lodging and some perhaps discussion of restaurants.

How much before the event to we have to get lodging settled? I'm inherently kind of a last minute guy. It's not a good decision for me to be making.
Old 12-18-10, 04:22 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
What was the cost of the hotel that people did not like? We have a few big and well-equipped ones: Weber's Inn (locally owned, upper middle end, excellent restaurant), the Bell Tower and Campus Inn (both high-end, great food), various Holiday Inns, Hamptons, Crown Plazas, et cetera. We also have a Red Roof, a Motel 6, and a few other locally owned and lower cost motels sans food.
Old 12-19-10, 06:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
My goals don't explicitly include RIDING the OHR, but to amicably host the BFers, even if it's just you and Billy, with family members as may be. Mrs. Road Fan will be riding it, too.… So, I invite you all to come to Ann Arbor and enjoy it and the One Helluva Ride, but I can't be an explicit organizer of side rides. I'd be glad to share some of my favorite routes, however. But it has to be clearly understood as a ride among friends, with democratic decision making.

…What we can do for the BFers is use our second car with bikes on the back, as well. But by that time I can also share Google maps with good driving instructions. As I said, it's 30 minutes from AA.

So we still need to talk about lodging and some perhaps discussion of restaurants.

How much before the event to we have to get lodging settled? I'm inherently kind of a last minute guy. It's not a good decision for me to be making.
Hi RF,

Thanks for the reply. For the Finger Lakes Ride, the only information provided by tsl, which was sufficient IMO, was how to sign up in advance and that lodging was available on site He provided that months before the ride. As a fellow last minute guy (LMG), I E-mailed the organizer a few days before departure to make sure I could sign up on-site. Otherwise I was pretty capable of making my way to a place I had never been before, find lodging and food, and arrive at the site on time.

At the Finger Lakes Ride, lodging at was readily available as part of the deal at a campsite or in bunkhouses, though I chose a motel. Furthermore meals were provided at a central pavilion, so there was a defined venue to socialize. I think the idea of a common motel in Ann Arbor is a pretty good one.

Since I know AA well, those “housekeeping” details are not a problem for me. For a LMG, my current OHR agenda includes getting the time off---(check), and finding out how late I can register.

Just before the Finger Lakes ride there was a flurry of posts to that thread as riders departed their hometowns. I was swept up into the adventure and I posted later:

...After reading all the pre-departure postings, as I drove to Watkins Glen on that beautiful Friday morning I had the strong ideation of a group of disparate people who did not know each other, traveling separately en route a mutual destination with a shared yet vague purpose in mind; not unlike the characters in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind...as I met the group I began to realize this could be something memorable…
Old 12-19-10, 03:42 PM
Road Fan

Registration for the One Helluva Ride opens (I think) January 1, though the site www.aabts.org will take you to The Right Stuff. There's no such thing as registering late, unless you register after about 10:30 am day of event. DOE is essentially always possible.

So was it like Close Encounters of Third Kind? With color organs in the sky, and all that?

It sounds like basically I just need to find a single hotel/motel.

Would the people who are planning or considering coming to this event please let me know? I'm pretty sure about two of you. I'd assume the earliest arrival for anyone will be Thursday evening 7/7, latest departing perhaps Monday morning 7/11. The ride, recall, is Saturday 7/9.
Old 12-23-10, 02:00 PM
Road Fan

Just checked the One Helluva Ride site for registration info. They say they'll publish it in January, I think. Except for this year's date, the info out there is from last year.
Old 12-23-10, 03:31 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm still here... and expecting to come to AA.
Old 12-23-10, 11:29 PM
Road Fan

Thanks, Billy!
Old 12-30-10, 09:15 AM
rtool

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Road Fan. I plan on doing this ride. I been checking out hotels/motels, and camping in that area. Date is good for me as is between two other rides I'm doing, one in June and the other in late July. Looking forward to this ride and meeting more 50+ friends.
Old 01-01-11, 04:37 PM
Road Fan

Great news, rtool! So far it's

rtool
billydon
JimfromBoston
Road Fan and Mrs. Road Fan
Beverly
Freedomrider1
BlazingPedals

If price is not a major obstacle, the best hotel local to me is probably Weber's Inn. Good rooms, excellent food, full services. Not too far from downtown Ann Arbor, but not a short walk - maybe 2 miles?

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-16-11 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add a new attendee.
Old 01-01-11, 07:20 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news, rtool! So far it's

rtool
billydon
JimfromBoston
Road Fan and Mrs. Road Fan

Other spouses welcome but (I think) tbd

If price is not a major obstacle, the best hotel local to me is probably Weber's Inn. Good rooms, excellent food, full services. Not too far from downtown Ann Arbor, but not a short walk - maybe 2 miles?
Add my name to the list

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-02-11, 01:38 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Beverly
Add my name to the list
With pleasure, Beverly - but now I see the fast people are getting involved! I have to go ride!

I just brought a bottle of Cycles Gladiator Cabernet 2007 to a New Years Eve party the other night - a big hit!
Old 01-03-11, 08:30 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Fan - While I'd love to come back to my Midwest roots ( Chicago born & raised) for the 50+ ride, I'll be at this sufferfest that weekend instead...
https://www.deathride.com/

Will likely be in Terre Haute the following weekenf for R(ide)A(cross)IN(diana).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.