Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Carbon fibre fork for a clydesdale

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 01:00 PM
randomm
foo? bar!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have been struggling to find any comparative tests on aftermarket CF forks online. Basically I'm trying to get a safe & stiff CF fork for my road bike, but have not really been able to find any information to be any wiser what would be better. I have been looking at the Columbus offering (the various Tusk models), as well as Richey Comp Carbon Road model.

Could someone wise tell me, is it safer to have an aluminium steerer, or a carbon fibre one? Which one is stiffer?

I have friends who tell me to get an all CF fork, but I've got a feeling that what they feel is stiff, will not necessarily be stiff for my 230lb!

Thanks in advance!

Jani
Old 09-05-12, 01:34 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
230lbs I wouldn't give it a second thought - esp Ritchey. Ritchey stuff is solid.
Old 09-05-12, 01:59 PM
BionicChris

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon fork on my Defy when I was 210lbs, its been fine for over a year.
Old 09-05-12, 02:19 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Carbon fork and carbon frame on my Giant when I was 225 lbs.
Boeing builds planes with CF, don't see the reason folks are concerned about CF being safe or not.
Old 09-05-12, 02:25 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Full CF fork on my road bike and I'm a bit over 230. 4 years, no problems.

My former commuter had a CF fork w/ AL steerer. Didn't really notice any difference in stiffness. Mostly the CF steerer is for weight savings.
Old 09-05-12, 02:25 PM
randomm
foo? bar!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that cf forks are safe, but I guess what I'm trying to find out is that what would be the most suitable cf fork for a clydesdale (stiffness & safety) given a max 250 bucks budget...
Old 09-08-12, 06:10 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ritchey WCS full carbon can be bought for $259 on amazon. I think it is the 2011 model, I bought it and think it rides very nicely.
Old 09-08-12, 12:59 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by randomm
Hi all,

I have been struggling to find any comparative tests on aftermarket CF forks online. Basically I'm trying to get a safe & stiff CF fork for my road bike, but have not really been able to find any information to be any wiser what would be better. I have been looking at the Columbus offering (the various Tusk models), as well as Richey Comp Carbon Road model.

Could someone wise tell me, is it safer to have an aluminium steerer, or a carbon fibre one? Which one is stiffer?

I have friends who tell me to get an all CF fork, but I've got a feeling that what they feel is stiff, will not necessarily be stiff for my 230lb!

Thanks in advance!

Jani
1. OK, it's your money, but what's wrong with your current fork? You're not really going to feel much if any difference with a new fork unless the geometry changes.

2. An AL steer tube is safer in that it's more forgiving - if you overtorque the stem you won't hear the CRACK of several hundred dollars being flushed down the toilet. You're not going to feel any difference between the two.
Old 09-10-12, 02:05 AM
randomm
foo? bar!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

thanks for you reply. I do not have a current fork, so I do have to buy one.

So, you're saying that safety-wise or stiffness-wise it does not make a difference?

cheers,

Jani

Originally Posted by achoo
1. OK, it's your money, but what's wrong with your current fork? You're not really going to feel much if any difference with a new fork unless the geometry changes.

2. An AL steer tube is safer in that it's more forgiving - if you overtorque the stem you won't hear the CRACK of several hundred dollars being flushed down the toilet. You're not going to feel any difference between the two.
Old 09-10-12, 02:26 AM
no_safe_HAVEN

Bikes: Unknown 531 resto-mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most carbon forks are put on for weight savings/aero profile. If there is no issues with your current fork I say put your money elsewhere.

BUt if you are set on getting one. I rode a Leader Aero, full carbon, when i was up around 230 and it felt just as stiff as an AL fork i used previously. The stiffness and safety are both there these days.
Old 09-10-12, 02:48 AM
randomm
foo? bar!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a fork, so I do have to get one... Thanks for the heads up for the Leader Aero!
Old 09-10-12, 09:31 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you need to buy a fork, the only reason I can think of to get an alu one is to save money.

I have a road bike I bought used, and commute on. It's a 2004 or 2005 model. It came with a very used carbon fork, which is still on it, and probably the same vintage. It's getting harder to find a road bike (for sale) that doesn't have a CF fork these days, and people have been buying them used for years.

I doubt you'll feel any difference in stiffness. Carbon is stronger than steel, but you're talking about pushing down on a column.
Old 09-10-12, 06:39 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding on carbon ever since I was around 290ish. You should be just fine.
Old 09-10-12, 06:57 PM
paisan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind that most forks with carbon steerers have a max recommended stack height so you should look at the length of your headtube and your position on the bike to see how much stack you think you will need. If what you need is greater than the max recommended height you should look for a different fork or get a fork with a different steerer material. That's applicable regardless of how much you weigh.
Old 09-16-12, 12:23 AM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at 230 pounds your not really "heavy" for this kind of equipment.

Carbon is LIGHT and STIFF but very brittle. so for really heavy people (400 pounds like me) not a good idea.

one pot hole or sharp impact might shatter one. if they make it a carbon/kevlar weave would be better.

carbon gives you the stiffness and kevlar gives you the flex/strength to compensate for the brittle carbon.

but again from a materials standpoint at 230 pounds your not taxing any of this equipment so buy what you like/can afford.
Old 09-16-12, 11:45 AM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Marinoni was spec'd with a Alpha Q z-pro that is a Clyde specific beefy fork - I think it was overkill but it sure is solid. They are not making anymore but can be found on eBay at your price point