Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

OT: What music is everyone listening to? V2.0

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

OT: What music is everyone listening to? V2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 12:26 PM
Andersper

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Turns out they're from my hometown.
Old 07-08-15, 02:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
More like getting my mind blown... again.

Nobody can play this like Albert Lee.

Old 07-08-15, 03:11 PM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andersper

Turns out they're from my hometown.
Roky Erikson's version is much creepier. This almost sounds like Weird Al singing haha. Not awful though.
Old 07-08-15, 05:43 PM
WestyNaut92

Bikes: Pake Rum Runner, 198X Motobecane Super Mirage, 199X Pro Flex 754, Fit Bike STR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm bored at work, can you tell?
Old 07-08-15, 05:51 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
that makes me wanna listen to these maniacs

theres like 13 dudes in the band
Old 07-08-15, 06:48 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Been listening to this pretty much non stop all week. Really enjoying the song selection and mixing of the DJ. Very clean, uptempo and easy to listen to.

Old 07-09-15, 07:57 AM
Andersper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
Roky Erikson's version is much creepier. This almost sounds like Weird Al singing haha. Not awful though.
It's co-produced by Dave Grohl so there's that Foo Fighters glazed donut feel to it. I enjoy a Foo Fighters song every once in a while, but a dozen of them in a row is just gross.
Old 07-09-15, 08:17 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andersper
It's co-produced by Dave Grohl so there's that Foo Fighters glazed donut feel to it. I enjoy a Foo Fighters song every once in a while, but a dozen of them in a row is just gross.
Haha yeah, I know what ya mean.
Old 07-09-15, 07:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
^
I've always dug "My Hero". It has a pretty melodic line to it, so I want to cover it with my tenorman friend that I play jazz with weekly.

In other news, my gf surprised me with a wonderful gift yesterday: an album of Camille Saint-Saens' Carnival of Animals, featuring Yo Yo Ma on the cello.

I have always loved this piece of music growing up - I still listening to it monthly, at the least.

Ma's rendition of the swan is fantastic - this piece was really made for the cello. His tone and emotion are so good - it makes me feel like my skin is melting. This version below is a little slower than the album, but it has the right effect:

Old 07-09-15, 08:29 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

ive always loved foo fighters and dave, but i went to a foo fighters concert and that was when i realized i cant really listen to a whole set of their songs. i like them on their own and get excited when they come on but im good on a dozen.

they do play a great live show though, you can tell theyre really enjoying themselves playing for you which to me is pretty important
Old 07-09-15, 10:25 PM
Hothead286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to see Run the Jewels in Des Moines this weekend. Pretty pumped.

Old 07-10-15, 06:16 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
ive always loved foo fighters and dave, but i went to a foo fighters concert and that was when i realized i cant really listen to a whole set of their songs. i like them on their own and get excited when they come on but im good on a dozen.

they do play a great live show though, you can tell theyre really enjoying themselves playing for you which to me is pretty important

Did you see that Husker Du tribute that Dave Grohl did? It was pretty good.

Ya know who else puts on a really good show? Metallica. I haven't really been a fan since "ride the lightning", but a friend of mine has a one of those private box things here at the Arena, so I got to see them play. They played for three ****ing hours with no break, and they took requests. And they talked just enough between a few songs, but not too much. They just seemed like cool humans. I met James Hetfield at a car show in Antioch, CA a few years ago, and he was real cool then, in person too.

It's kinda sad when you are surprised by someone being cool, instead of being a dick.
Old 07-10-15, 07:22 AM
Andersper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
Ya know who else puts on a really good show? Metallica. I haven't really been a fan since "ride the lightning", but a friend of mine has a one of those private box things here at the Arena, so I got to see them play. They played for three ****ing hours with no break, and they took requests. And they talked just enough between a few songs, but not too much. They just seemed like cool humans. I met James Hetfield at a car show in Antioch, CA a few years ago, and he was real cool then, in person too.
I think James Hetfield is a tremendous musician, even if his taste is sometimes questionable, but I can't stand Lars Ulrich's drumming. I would love if Hetfield went solo even for just one album, but I'm not holding my breath. Metallica, to me at least, seems more like a lucrative (and prestigious) business arrangement than a fertile creative outlet for Hetfield. But yeah, I bet they still put on a great show.
Old 07-10-15, 07:26 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by T13
Did you see that Husker Du tribute that Dave Grohl did? It was pretty good.

It's kinda sad when you are surprised by someone being cool, instead of being a dick.
dint see that but im gonna check it out

i havent been into anything metallicas put out for many years, theyre a friend of mines favorite band and hes seen them 3 times in recent years and keeps trying to get me to go. he says the same thing, they play like its still the 80s and put on a good show. i should probably go but i just dont get amped about metallica like i used to.

im ok with kirk hammet having his bellybutton pierced, im ok with hetfield being off the junk, im ok some new guy, but i just cant get myself to like that ****er lars. hes like an annoying little piglet that wont shut the **** up.

edit:\ lol @ another lars related comment as i was typing my response
Old 07-10-15, 07:30 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, Lars IS pretty annoying. I love his tirade against "Napster", seeing as how Metallica gained popularity through tape trading, which is no different than file sharing. I wonder if the rest of the band was just like "Please shut the **** up, Lars"....
Old 07-10-15, 07:33 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

im sure it was as much a PR stunt as much as it was some little turd being angry about losing $4 per album sale

hilariously enough p2p filesharing gained popularity much more than metallica did from that whole fiasco
Old 07-10-15, 07:58 AM
Andersper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lars Ulrich's public persona is unpleasant to say the least, but his drumming is atrocious. He honestly can't keep a beat.
Old 07-10-15, 08:59 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
Yeah, Lars IS pretty annoying. I love his tirade against "Napster", seeing as how Metallica gained popularity through tape trading, which is no different than file sharing.
Opportunity Cost

I'm not judging anyone or anything here, but the difference between trading tapes and file sharing is impossible to overstate. The internet has basically eliminated scarcity of any kind of media content. This wiped out the the economy that artists (musicians in particular) and their distributors spent the better part of the past century building.
Old 07-10-15, 09:06 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Give me colored vinyl, call it limited edition, and charge me $50 for it and I'll buy the damn thing.
Release it on itunes and expect me to pay $9.99 for it and I'll steal it or listen to it on spotify.

Old 07-10-15, 09:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I heard this recently on KSDS jazz88.3 I really, really dig the main melodic line - which starts shortly after 1:10.

Old 07-10-15, 10:48 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
Opportunity Cost

I'm not judging anyone or anything here, but the difference between trading tapes and file sharing is impossible to overstate. The internet has basically eliminated scarcity of any kind of media content. This wiped out the the economy that artists (musicians in particular) and their distributors spent the better part of the past century building.

The thing is, Metallica made it's bones in a somewhat underground community. And tape trading is what helped them achieve that. But because of that success, they were able to make the transition from and underground "scene", where you may not really be able to make a living selling tapes or records, and where you can make more money by touring and playing out, to essentially being pop artists, who depend on record sales as much as touring. You can't compare the two. Lars is basically a pop star whining about losing money on record sales.
Old 07-10-15, 11:04 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
#drumkitscosta ****ton

Originally Posted by T13
The thing is, Metallica made it's bones in a somewhat underground community. And tape trading is what helped them achieve that. But because of that success, they were able to make the transition from and underground "scene", where you may not really be able to make a living selling tapes or records, and where you can make more money by touring and playing out, to essentially being pop artists, who depend on record sales as much as touring. You can't compare the two. Lars is basically a pop star whining about losing money on record sales.
Old 07-10-15, 11:12 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico

I don't even know why he has a full kit. All he plays is the snare, anyways.
Old 07-10-15, 11:12 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I suspect that Metallica still makes a relatively small proportion of their income on album sales and that they still make a lot more money on touring. I think lars has more of this sense of fairness thing going on with his intellectual property but it is just misplaced. I am relatively surprised that the music industry still hasn't settled into a coherent business model. I would have thought that labels would be completely gone by now.
Old 07-10-15, 11:16 AM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Labels won't go away until people stop aspiring to be on them. I mean, that's the formula, for being a "rockstar". Get on a label, get famous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.