Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Katy social 2016?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Katy social 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 08:21 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Katy social 2016?

Any plans taking shape for a ride/social this year? We are thinking about doing a destination bike ride in July.
In the past, my work schedule has precluded participating, but now I'm retired, so thinking if the St. Louis folks are planning to do this again this year, we might be in.
Old 01-30-16, 08:26 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Yes, I could probably attend. Details please.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-30-16, 08:29 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Yes, I could probably attend. Details please.
I think @Retrogrouch is usually the instigator and usually the first or second weekend in July.
It would be good to see you again Michael.
Old 01-30-16, 08:58 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

It would be good to see you, also.

We could meet at my home in Edwardsville. I'm very close to the center of the superb Madison County trail system. The system offers more than 75 miles of paved trails without vehicular traffic. Edwardsville is also an excellent destination with fine dining and other amenities.

See: https://www.mcttrails.org/map.aspx

I could provide a meeting site and offer an early dinner, post ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-30-16 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 09:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Any plans taking shape for a ride/social this year? We are thinking about doing a destination bike ride in July.
In the past, my work schedule has precluded participating, but now I'm retired, so thinking if the St. Louis folks are planning to do this again this year, we might be in.
Sounds like just the kick I needed to get something started. Do you have a preferred week end? I'm thinking maybe July 9 & 10. In the past our plan was for an out and back ride Saturday on the Katy and a loop ride Sunday on the Trails of Madison County, Illinois.

Anybody else?
Old 01-30-16, 11:33 AM
Dan Burkhart 

It would be good to see you, also.

We could meet at my home in Edwardsville. I'm very close to the center of the superb Madison County trail system. The system offers more than 75 miles of paved trails without vehicular traffic. Edwardsville is also an excellent destination with fine dining and other amenities.

See: MCT Trails Map

I could provide a meeting site and offer an early dinner, post ride.
That sounds good Michael.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Sounds like just the kick I needed to get something started. Do you have a preferred week end? I'm thinking maybe July 9 & 10. In the past our plan was for an out and back ride Saturday on the Katy and a loop ride Sunday on the Trails of Madison County, Illinois.

Anybody else?
The 9th and 10th would work for us. The ride plan sounds good too. What kind of distance do you normally do in a day?
Old 01-30-16, 01:22 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

I had near 60f weather with sunny skies and mild winds today: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1033052143
Old 01-30-16, 02:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

That sounds good Michael.

The 9th and 10th would work for us. The ride plan sounds good too. What kind of distance do you normally do in a day?
The Katy Trail ride is set up to be either 25 or 50 miles (or so). The long riders start earlier and do an out-and-back before joining the shorter distance riders for an out-and-back going the other way.
The loop that I normally ride in Madison county is around 32 miles but it can easily be either extended or shortened. I frankly prefer the Madison Trails to the Katy but they're farther away from where I live.

In the past I've only invited 50+ folks and the result has been on the low side. This year I'm planning to extend invitations to a couple of other cycling groups to see if we can generate a little more participation.
Old 01-31-16, 07:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

...In the past I've only invited 50+ folks and the result has been on the low side. This year I'm planning to extend invitations to a couple of other cycling groups to see if we can generate a little more participation.
When I first read the OP, I thought it might be a clarion call for an Eighth Annual Fifty-Plus Annual Ride, but I realize it’s specific for the Katy Trail Social. I have been an avid participant previous annual rides, and last week I made some preliminary ramblings about such an event in a reply to a Fifty-Plus subscriber:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... It certainly would be nice to ride together sometime. As you may recall, I’m an avid participant in the 50+ Annual Rides held over the past several years. I remember that you showed interest in a few of them, but most have been held in the Northeast and Midwest, and you have not been able to attend.

It’s now about that time of year when somebody starts suggesting various venues for such a ride. I have previously made a suggestion for a Boston ride later this year [see below], but to you and all other 50+ subscribers, any suggestions for a get-together in a mutually convenient location? I myself have been willing to drive a few hundred miles for such an event in conjunction with an organized ride. For example, this past October, Blues Dawg drove from Georgia to Pennsylvania, myself from Boston, and the Kentons from New Jersey. Maybe myself, or someone else will start a specific thread, but just to get the ball rolling...
Like the experience of @Retro Grouch the turnouts have been relatively low since about 2013. My suggestions, and the Rides I have hosted have been in New England, a (geographically) eccentric location, so I still await an official kick-off for other suggestions.

BTW, there is a ”Chronicle of the 50+ Rides”, including the Katy Trail Social of 2013. This Ride however is too far away for me, and as a Road Cyclist, I hear there is a lot of dusty limestone pavement.
Old 01-31-16, 07:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

The idea that there is an official or sanctioned Bikeforum event is rubbish.

As a former moderator I discussed the legal and organization linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these forums with Tom Stormcrowe. He explained to me that there is none.

I've attended events announced on Bikeforums and they can be very successful. The Dairyland Dare event that has become a phenomenon is a good example. See : https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...in-august.html

I've also met up with Bikeforum members on other occasions.

These events are unregulated and open. If they become successful, it's the result of like minded people just enjoying the hobby and a willingness to gather.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-31-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-31-16, 08:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

The Katy Trail ride is set up to be either 25 or 50 miles (or so). The long riders start earlier and do an out-and-back before joining the shorter distance riders for an out-and-back going the other way.
The loop that I normally ride in Madison county is around 32 miles but it can easily be either extended or shortened. I frankly prefer the Madison Trails to the Katy but they're farther away from where I live.

In the past I've only invited 50+ folks and the result has been on the low side. This year I'm planning to extend invitations to a couple of other cycling groups to see if we can generate a little more participation.
That sounds good to me. 30 milers are a good ride for me. I will have to consider my wife however, who does not care to do that kind of distance, even with electric assist.
The out and back on the Katy will be no big deal as you can obviously pick the turnaround point. Might have to work out a way to short circuit the loop ride in Madison Cty.
Maybe we will get others chiming in that might be looking for shorter rides.
As much as I would like to stick with the group, my wife will obviously be my first consideration. I won't make her ride back alone.
Another option may be to pick up a second battery pack to extend her range.
Old 01-31-16, 08:05 AM
Retro Grouch 

Sometimes I print out a little squib that says "No fees are charged for this event and no services are promised."

I don't do much but I promise even less.
Old 01-31-16, 08:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

That sounds good to me. 30 milers are a good ride for me. I will have to consider my wife however, who does not care to do that kind of distance, even with electric assist.
The out and back on the Katy will be no big deal as you can obviously pick the turnaround point. Might have to work out a way to short circuit the loop ride in Madison Cty.
Maybe we will get others chiming in that might be looking for shorter rides.
As much as I would like to stick with the group, my wife will obviously be my first consideration. I won't make her ride back alone.
Another option may be to pick up a second battery pack to extend her range.
We can work it out. That's why I call it a "Social" rather than an event or a ride.
Old 01-31-16, 09:21 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not likely to be able to come, but I won't rule it out either. I'll keep an eye on the plans as they develop and see if I can swing a road trip.

I think the concept of an "official" 50+Ride is sort of a semi-mythical deal. It doesn't really exist, but it's fun to pretend it does sometimes.
Old 01-31-16, 09:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
It's a bit of a hike for me from IA but I'd think about it; sounds like fun.
Old 01-31-16, 08:09 PM
Jim from Boston

When I first read the OP, I thought it might be a clarion call for an Eighth Annual Fifty-Plus Annual Ride, but I realize it’s specific for the Katy Trail Social. I have been an avid participant previous annual rides, and last week I made some preliminary ramblings about such an event in a reply to a Fifty-Plus subscriber...

The idea that there is an official or sanctioned Bikeforum event is rubbish.

As a former moderator
I discussed the legal and organization linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these forums with Tom Stormcrowe. He explained to me that there is none.
Well Mr. (former) Moderator, that’s a +1. Indeed, to the best of my knowledge there never was any official sanction of a ”…Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride..” It’s always been my understanding that those rides were informally organized by any given subscriber to Bike Forums usually as the name states by a subscriber to 50+. I’ve always considered it an engaging tradition of this normally convivial Forum, not unlike the annual Pie Ride, but more formally organized.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I think the concept of an "official" 50+Ride is sort of a semi-mythical deal. It doesn't really exist, but it's fun to pretend it does sometimes.
Nonetheless, @BluesDawg posted in January of 2015,

Is there a thread about a 2015 50+ Annual Ride? I can't find one. I am seriously considering going to the… in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015…

There will be reports and many photos regarding the incredible fun the small 50+ contingency had this weekend once we get home and have a chance to compose. My short take is that the people I met and liked online were just as nice, interesting and fun in person…
I first heard the term, “…Annual Fifty-Plus Ride” when I attended the Second Ride in Watkins Glen, NY in 2010. In fact, the titles and “hosts” of the specific threads proposing the Annual Rides, and post counts have been:

After I had participated in a couple of these Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, on my own volition wrote this unsanctioned definition:

…I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicles. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread…

Typically the Annual Rides are informal affairs held in conjunction with an organized bike ride sponsored by an organized club…Usually such events offer different mileage routes, and the subscribers who attend choose according their ability, and ride at their preferred pace; well and good if some choose to ride together.
…I've attended events announced on Bikeforums and they can be very successful. The Dairyland Dare event that has become a phenomenon is a good example. See : https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...in-august.html

I've also met up with Bikeforum members on other occasions.

These events are unregulated and open. If they become successful, it's the result of like minded people just enjoying the hobby and a willingness to gather.
I read that thread. Apparently it started about three years ago as a ride description, and after several bumps extending through 62 pages, it has indeed evolved into a BF-known event to those who know about it.

BTW, IMO the opportunity for a “whole lot of pain,” does seem to appeal to a select group of cyclists; the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides have always offered a variety of rides and activities for the participants (and their possible non-cycling companions).

…As a former moderator I discussed the legal and organization linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these forums with Tom Stormcrowe. He explained to me that there is none.
I totally understand why BF would not want to have “a legal and organizational linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these Forums", especially in the context of liability. All the rides Beginning with the Second, have been in conjunction with a valid sponsoring organization that assumed the liability for the ride, freeing the “host,” who acted as informational and “emcee.”

Even when DnvrFox organized the First ride in his own, he started an extensive thread on the liability and risk management issues; and I think he expected a signed waiver.

So my conclusion, if @Barrettcv is posting as an [strike]officious[/strike]…official of BF, perhaps we should cease and desist from the label ”…Annual Fifty-Plus Ride”, and let events occur ad lib without any context. Perhaps a sticky to that effect should be posted…something like the late @Tom Stormcrowe posted to this Forum, *****The Tone In Here.....All 50+ Members read, please...

Anyways, @Dan and @retro, sorry for the interruption, and now back to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.
Old 01-31-16, 08:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

...and that was quite an interruption.
Old 01-31-16, 09:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
So my conclusion, if @Barrettcv is posting as an [strike]officious[/strike]…official of BF, perhaps we should cease and desist from the label ”…Annual Fifty-Plus Ride”, and let events occur ad lib without any context.
I think you may be overthinking this a bit, ya think?
Old 02-01-16, 05:39 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I think you may be overthinking this a bit, ya think?
Relax, Jim always overthinks things.

I am going to be riding from Kansas City to St Louis via the Katy during the last week of June into the first weekend. I don't expect changes to be made based on that, but if somethings going on the first weekend, I may catch up.

Marc
Old 02-02-16, 05:59 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Count me in. So far I don't have anything planned for 9 / 10 July.
Old 02-02-16, 08:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Count me in. So far I don't have anything planned for 9 / 10 July.
I'll alert the official event photographer to be ready.
Old 02-03-16, 11:44 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
This time we take her photo.
Old 02-03-16, 01:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Katy social 2016?

This time we take her photo.
Behave, you guys. Your antics last time were recorded in the ”Chronicle of the [strike]50+ Annual[/strike] Rides”.

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
…Los Quattro Amigos! The only bad thing about this shot, is that we didn't get a shot of the person taking this pic. We have nicknamed the intersection where this was taken "Bikini Crossing" in honor of this intrepid photographer...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the photos. Definitely the camera was pointed in the wrong direction at Bikini Crossing!

Originally Posted by Dellphinus
That's me on the right, in the 50+ Jersey, leaning on my bike. She made my knees weak.
But without pics, it didn't happen.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
Relax, Jim always overthinks things…

Marc

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-03-16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 05:44 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Can any St. Louis locals recommend good camping facilities in the area? Either side of the state line would be fine.
We prefer treed lots to open fields. Oh, and quiet is good if such a place exists.
We are looking into renting a small teardrop trailer for the week.
Old 02-03-16, 05:59 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Can any St. Louis locals recommend good camping facilities in the area? Either side of the state line would be fine.
We prefer treed lots to open fields. Oh, and quiet is good if such a place exists.
We are looking into renting a small teardrop trailer for the week.
PM sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.