Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Did I overdo it or why can't I escape saddle pain?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 12:27 PM
landesb
Some Guy on a Bike

Bikes: 2004 Kona Dr Dew (the daily ride) & 2005 Tirreno Razza 3.0 (The mean green machine)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Earlier this week I swapped out the stock saddle on my bike for a new cutout saddle. On Saturday I rode 34 miles and had no pain. I came back with sore legs, but a comfortable rear end feeling great about finding a better saddle.

Then on Sunday I decided to take a shorter ride. I noticed my "saddle area" was a little tender, but settled in after a few minutes. After 7-8 miles I noticed soreness coming and felt every rough spot in the road (it didn't help to have a headwind during the entire second half of the ride )

Did I just overdo it this weekend? I'm trying to build up my mileage and I don't normally go as far as I did on Saturday; but I went much further because I still felt great through the ride. I felt great one day and the next was real rough. Will my body adjust to more high mileage rides?
Old 07-18-16, 12:53 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
It seems odd to me that you had delayed soreness. Time in the saddle is an endurance thing. The longer and farther you go the more your body will become accustomed to riding.
Old 07-18-16, 12:56 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, if you don't tighten those rail bolts to 12NM (check your manufacturer) they can slip and depending on the clamp type, the saddle can start to tilt up or down by a lot over the course of a ride. Double check that you're still level. 12NM, on a scale of 1-10, with a multi tool or allen key (not a big ratchet) is pretty damn tight.

Otherwise, maybe you have it too far back and are sitting too far forward on the saddle. If the pain is in the middle, I'd probably assume that. If the pain is at the butt crease, I would assume that you could be sitting too far back on the saddle and that's hitting the wings on the saddle with each down stroke.

When it's dialed in, your last concern will be your butt. It's so worth it to find the proper saddle.
Old 07-18-16, 01:07 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
was the saddle brand new? pending brand, shape, they time time/miles to break in. After a hundred miles on them it should feel allot better. If it doesn't, then its the wrong saddle shape for your sit bones.

Also wear some good bibs, if your not already doing that. It will help eliminate some processing of new parts.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 07-18-16, 01:11 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it takes many miles and sometimes a couple weeks of riding to fully adjust to a new saddle. keep riding
Old 07-18-16, 01:12 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Assuming that the saddle didn't move in any way, check it in width and thickness of your old saddle. If there are differences between the two, you might have to make counter adjustments to compensate.
Finding the right saddle is an exercise in patience if your rear end is sensitive to things. I was lucky and found a good one right away, but feel sorry for those that didn't.
Good luck, post your solution
Old 07-18-16, 03:08 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
Well, if you don't tighten those rail bolts to 12NM (check your manufacturer) they can slip and depending on the clamp type, the saddle can start to tilt up or down by a lot over the course of a ride. Double check that you're still level. 12NM, on a scale of 1-10, with a multi tool or allen key (not a big ratchet) is pretty damn tight.
It took 16nm on a greased bolt to keep a Nitto S65 level after I'd shrunk under 150 pounds.

Assembly paste (not just for carbon) or grit like sand on the clamp to seat post mounting surface can supposedly help, although I decided to use a more tenacious post - ones using the Campagnolo C-Record clamp have always stayed parked for me with a firm tug on a 6mm hex key, even with 215 pounds + back pack.

Witness marks can show whether anything is moving. Use black Sharpie on silver parts and silver on black.

Do something different if your saddle is moving.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-19-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 03:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
OP, what's your normal ride schedule look like? If your longest ride went from 15 to 34 miles, that's your problem. If it went from 30 to 34 miles, it might be time to take a hard look at the new saddle.
Old 07-18-16, 06:09 PM
landesb
Some Guy on a Bike

Bikes: 2004 Kona Dr Dew (the daily ride) & 2005 Tirreno Razza 3.0 (The mean green machine)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
OP, what's your normal ride schedule look like? If your longest ride went from 15 to 34 miles, that's your problem. If it went from 30 to 34 miles, it might be time to take a hard look at the new saddle.
That may be my problem. I normally do 25ish miles max, but with the new saddle and my rear end feeling no pain I just kept going. I'll working on easing up my mileage a bit more gradually.
Old 07-18-16, 06:30 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
If the saddle height isn't exactly the same as your old saddle, and/or it's a different length, you may need to have your fit checked. You may be sitting higher/lower, more forward/backward, than on your old saddle. If things are lining up differently then you may be putting pressures on new areas.
Old 07-19-16, 01:04 PM
Nstoltzner

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my little bit of experience it appears to me that you may have put too many miles in at once.
Old 07-20-16, 05:00 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Did you use a different pair of cycling shorts?
Old 07-20-16, 07:27 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Obviously, the OP never rode a horse for an extended period of time.
Old 07-20-16, 07:44 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by landesb
... I swapped out the stock saddle on my bike for a new cutout saddle. .... I came back with sore legs, but a comfortable rear end....Then .... I noticed my "saddle area" was a little tender, but settled in after a few minutes.
I am wondering if you are posting that it isn't your butt that hurt. But that you got some soft tissue damage where the cutout rubbed? That can happen... particularly just jumping in without a break-in period. PLUS... cutouts aren't for everyone.

Select your saddle with as much concern to fit as you do your bicycle. The saddle should hit your sit bones correctly and feel good immediately. HOWEVER... there will likely be a break-in period. And it is possible for part of the saddle to fit well and be comfortable and other areas to rub-you-raw.

... Did I just overdo it this weekend?
Apparently.... you did over do. I can't tell if you ONLY over did it... or if the saddle isn't a good fit.

... Will my body adjust to more high mileage rides?
Yes! The right saddle, a well fitting bike, and good riding position/technique should make your cycling as comfortable as sitting in an easychair. No joke.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-20-16 at 07:56 AM. Reason: grammer