Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Police auctions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 11:54 PM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

Bikes: Schwinn DSB , Raleigh Mojave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Police auctions

Over the years I've taken part in 2 Police bicycle auctions. The 1st one was in the city of Oberlin Ohio , home to famous liberal arts College. There I picked up a fully intact except for the wheels Giant Rincon for the grand sum of $12 and change. Ordered a custom built wheelset from Nashbar for a little north of $120. Throw in a new chain and a cassette amd I had a really decent bike for quite a bit less than $200. At the same auction I also got schwinn cross trainer?? for less than $40 that just required air in the tires and general maintenance.
. Fast forward a decade or or so and found myself living about an hours West of Boise Idaho. I found an online auction of Boise P.D. items at one of the local online auction houses. I bid on and won for about $45 + taxes and auction fees for a Taleigh Mojave 3.0. Fearing the worst I traveled to Boise to pick up my treasure with a tool box full of tools for repairs. Much to my surprise all was required was air in the tires, and some minor brake adjustments, and I was doing laps in the parking lot.
if you have participated in police bicycle auctions tell us about your experiences with them.
Likes For Hank McMauser:
Old 09-23-23, 06:37 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
How do you get involved in police auctions? With cars at least, I thought there were requirements and fees and such so that every Joe or Jane couldn't just walk in and start bidding.

I mean, my garage is pretty full, but I should would like some more bikes I don't have time to ride.
Old 09-23-23, 06:41 AM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

The ones I went to you just signed up either online, or in person with the auctioneer the in person auctions usually give you a card to hold up with your number on them so they know who to mark an item to when it's won. I've found that many online auctions use the same app, so often times once you're in you just have to log on.
Old 09-23-23, 06:56 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Haven't been to one in more than a decade and now many jurisdictions have gone on to selling items online rather than at a physical auction where you bid against a bunch of other people. I saw a lot of problems with the old way it was done. Some of them are still present when you bid online. You couldn't get close enough to the bike to measure the frame size or see hidden damage. When the auction was real time a lot of bidders who had no idea of which brands might be worth bidding on. They would bid up the price for a bike with a familiar brand name and ignore much better bikes they had no idea about. That made it easy to only bid on good bikes and ignore the vast array of crap that was put up for bid. Now with easy access to information on the true value of a bike you are less likely to find real bargains. You are still faced with possibly buying a bike that didn't fit just as you do on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace but at least with those you can go and measure the bike frame or have the seller do it for you before you waste time buying the wrong size. It seems like there are a lot fewer bargains these days no matter how you search. The only fee I recall is a 10% buyer's premium which went to the auction company. They did not charge sales tax then and do not charge it now.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-23-23 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added fee info
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 09-23-23, 09:07 AM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Police auctions

I just happened to stumble on a police auction in a small town in Wisconsin many years ago. I got a nice 1969 Schwinn balloon tire bike for $12. After we hit $10 most of the locals dropped out- damn Chicago money. Bill
Old 09-23-23, 09:56 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I asked at our local police department a while back and they mentioned the unclaimed property is sold to auction houses or scrap vendors by lots. Its more of a 'wholesaling' operation, no auctioning of individual items on a 'retail' basis. The 'lots' can contain bicycles, car parts, furniture, instruments, tools, appliances, just about anything.
Old 09-23-23, 10:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I would try the local university surplus auctions, there are many unclaimed bikes that pass through those.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-23-23, 12:11 PM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I would try the local university surplus auctions, there are many unclaimed bikes that pass through those.
I'm pretty sure back then the Oberlin PD were acting as campus police.
Old 09-24-23, 03:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I was interested back in grad school, so I went to the other side of town about a month after the spring semester let out. Some nice bikes were there, but I lost interest at the 25-bike lots. No way could I get that many back to my apartment!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-24-23, 03:33 PM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I was interested back in grad school, so I went to the other side of town about a month after the spring semester let out. Some nice bikes were there, but I lost interest at the 25-bike lots. No way could I get that many back to my apartment!
You could rent a uhaul, or Home depot pickup, flipping them back to the incoming freshman might prove a worthy endeavor if the original cost outlaybwasnt too bad.
Likes For Hank McMauser:
Old 09-28-23, 05:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The last police auction I attended wasn't a source of bargains, because the police hired a skilled auctioneer who got really good prices from the crowd. I left in disgust when I saw people paying 90% of the new price - sometimes more than the new price - for rusty bikes. As a taxpayer, I should have rejoiced, I guess....
Old 09-28-23, 05:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
The last police auction I attended wasn't a source of bargains, because the police hired a skilled auctioneer who got really good prices from the crowd. I left in disgust when I saw people paying 90% of the new price - sometimes more than the new price - for rusty bikes. As a taxpayer, I should have rejoiced, I guess....
yeah, that happens at auctions ... the desire to win outweighs the desire to save ... good auctioneers make it all about competition and seizing the goods .... so no one looks and sees that "the goods" are crap.
Old 09-28-23, 05:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://wisconsinsurplus.com/
Old 09-28-23, 07:02 PM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer