Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Multi flight tour in Asia. Doable or logistical nightmare?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Multi flight tour in Asia. Doable or logistical nightmare?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 06:52 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Yeah, it's just that many Brompton owners think it is the only bike capable of this. Many don't actually know the segment and the alternatives, of which there are several. Brompton can be a bit of a cult. We don't want to perpetuate this line of misleading thinking among those unfamiliar with folding bikes.
We’re veering off topic here but when I bought my first Brompton in 2014, there was no bike that offered as compact a package with such a clean folding operation. Dahon and Tern were awful.

Bike Friday fold was kind of a mess and took 8-9 steps IIRC.

I do recall liking the Moulton but the fold required tools.

Very happy with my Brompton. There’s a reason it’s so popular. And I do appreciate that they continue to be made in the UK when so many bike brands have moved their manufacturing to Asia.
Likes For hhk25:
Old 02-07-24, 07:06 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
We’re veering off topic here but when I bought my first Brompton in 2014, there was no bike that offered as compact a package with such a clean folding operation. Dahon and Tern were awful.

Bike Friday fold was kind of a mess and took 8-9 steps IIRC.

I do recall liking the Moulton but the fold required tools.

Very happy with my Brompton. There’s a reason it’s so popular. And I do appreciate that they continue to be made in the UK when so many bike brands have moved their manufacturing to Asia.
A decade later, today, there are many options, including options without the price, weight, proprietary nature, archaic gearing mechanism and tire size limitations of a Brompton. It's now the year 2024.
​​​​​
Old 02-07-24, 08:30 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

A decade later, today, there are many options, including options without the price, weight, proprietary nature, archaic gearing mechanism and tire size limitations of a Brompton. It's now the year 2024.
​​​​​
Mind you, I haven't been in the market so not familiar with every folder out there but I haven't seen anything that's going to make me give up my Brompton. I did look at the Helix which is actually built very close to my home. Very nice piece of kit but doesn't work well for touring. No rack options other than janky jerry-rigged stuff.

The Brompton works great for me. Strong and durable and carries quite a load. Like anything popular, there are haters. The Taylor Swift of bikes.
Likes For hhk25:
Old 02-07-24, 11:13 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
.....Imagine being clean on a bike tour!
blasphemy!

if you don't roll into town after three weeks in the outback smelling like the zombie apocalypse warmed over, you're doing it wrong.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 02-09-24, 06:55 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
... Like anything popular, there are haters. The Taylor Swift of bikes.
​​​​​​
Sure, on one side of the fence there's the haters and on the other there's the captive devotees. In an honest, credible, dispassionate accounting, you gotta account for both the hits and the misses. And, of course, beyond those two camps there are experienced people, knowledgeable of the segment who can analyze, critique and assess the bike, a bike on its technical merits. You know, like I did earlier listing its obvious technical shortcomings and handicaps.

Members of cults perceive criticism as hate, and close themselves off to other options. What's more, when confronted with opposing information, they further entrench themselves in their beliefs and practices lest they give in to the cognitive dissonance brought on by the contradictory information. It's actually a well recognized and studied phenomenon in the field of psychology. Right on cue. A thoroughly expected, unsurprising response. I am under no illusion that you are not in utter and complete bliss with your Brompton. Your perception of a technical counterpoint as hatred speaks tons about your perspective on the issue. In any case, it was not my aim to dislodge you from your position of idyll, but rather to alert others unfamiliar with the segment that there are options, perhaps even better ones.

Good luck to you on tour.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 02-09-24 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 07:51 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
​​​​​​
Sure, on one side of the fence there's the haters and on the other there's the captive devotees. In an honest, credible, dispassionate accounting, you gotta account for both the hits and the misses. And, of course, beyond those two camps there are experienced people, knowledgeable of the segment who can analyze, critique and assess the bike, a bike on its technical merits. You know, like I did earlier listing its obvious technical shortcomings and handicaps.

Members of cults perceive criticism as hate, and close themselves off to other options. What's more, when confronted with opposing information, they further entrench themselves in their beliefs and practices lest they give in to the cognitive dissonance brought on by the contradictory information. It's actually a well recognized and studied phenomenon in the field of psychology. Right on cue. A thoroughly expected, unsurprising response. I am under no illusion that you are not in utter and complete bliss with your Brompton. Your perception of a technical counterpoint as hatred speaks tons about your perspective on the issue. In any case, it was not my aim to dislodge you from your position of idyll, but rather to alert others unfamiliar with the segment that there are options, perhaps even better ones.

Sorry I don't mean to intrude into an argument that's none of my business, but I just wanted to chima in and say, you're a total douch bag.

The guy owns a Brompton. So the F what. You sound like a Brompton banged your wife. Imagine being married to an obnoxious c*nt like you. Holy Jesus...
Likes For Yan:
Old 02-10-24, 09:19 AM
hhk25

​​​​​​

To be honest with you, the fact that you call it a cult indicates that you have some kind of agenda. It get it, Brompton is popular, it’s expensive.

It’s also well built and a brilliant piece of engineering and design. I would never tour on any other folding bike. One big reason is - parts availability. There are Brompton dealers all over the world. Not so with Helix, Moulton or Bike Friday.
Old 02-10-24, 10:51 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
I hope your bike has 20" wheels. Otherwise it is useless for serious touring.
Old 02-10-24, 03:05 PM
hhk25

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I hope your bike has 20" wheels. Otherwise it is useless for serious touring.
That is such an uninformed comment. People have toured all over the world on Brompton with 16” wheels.

There are multiple people who have travelled around the world on a Brompton.