Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Cyclists: The Plague Of The Pavement

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 09:45 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

In Copenhagen, cyclists are becoming more like pigeons most everywhere else. While the elderly seem for the most part to cycle still, the wanton F*** You cyclist to the flaky not too keen on watching out for others seems to become a problem even in the City Of The Cyclist:

".....Ullaliv Friis, 66, a retired city official who is the pedestrian association’s managing director, says she appreciates all this, but that there is a flip side. Many retirees and older people live in the row houses in a suburb north of the city center where she makes her home. The sidewalks have become risky for them, she says, because of stray cyclists. “The cyclist has taken over everything,” she said......-https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/world/europe/in-copenhagen-pedestrians-feel-squeezed-out-by-cyclists.html?sq=bicycles&st=Search&scp=11&pagewanted=all

Something to think about as we cyclists want to encourage more cycling in our own cities and towns. Is there an hidden price to be paid?

Or perhaps a way of rewarding positive behavior is the answer:

"......Over at City Hall, Mr. Rohl hears the pedestrians’ plaints, and says the city has taken measures to improve biker behavior. It occasionally sends out field workers, for example, stopping cyclists they see displaying exemplary behavior, like making proper hand signals or respecting pedestrians, and rewarding them with small boxes of chocolate....."-https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/world/europe/in-copenhagen-pedestrians-feel-squeezed-out-by-cyclists.html?sq=bicycles&st=Search&scp=11&pagewanted=all

This might work even here as I never met anyone who does not like chocolates!

Last edited by folder fanatic; 09-20-11 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 11:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
For every pedestrian telling me to get off the sidewalk, there are a dozen motorists telling me to get on the sidewalk.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-20-11, 11:29 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
In Copenhagen, cyclists are becoming more like pigeons most everywhere else. While the elderly seem for the most part to cycle still, the wanton F*** You cyclist to the flaky not too keen on watching out for others seems to become a problem even in the City Of The Cyclist:

".....Ullaliv Friis, 66, a retired city official who is the pedestrian association’s managing director, says she appreciates all this, but that there is a flip side. Many retirees and older people live in the row houses in a suburb north of the city center where she makes her home. The sidewalks have become risky for them, she says, because of stray cyclists. “The cyclist has taken over everything,” she said......-https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/world/europe/in-copenhagen-pedestrians-feel-squeezed-out-by-cyclists.html?sq=bicycles&st=Search&scp=11&pagewanted=all

Something to think about as we cyclists want to encourage more cycling in our own cities and towns. Is there an hidden price to be paid?

Or perhaps a way of rewarding positive behavior is the answer:

"......Over at City Hall, Mr. Rohl hears the pedestrians’ plaints, and says the city has taken measures to improve biker behavior. It occasionally sends out field workers, for example, stopping cyclists they see displaying exemplary behavior, like making proper hand signals or respecting pedestrians, and rewarding them with small boxes of chocolate....."-https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/world/europe/in-copenhagen-pedestrians-feel-squeezed-out-by-cyclists.html?sq=bicycles&st=Search&scp=11&pagewanted=all

This might work even here as I never met anyone who does not like chocolates!
I suspect, based on this post, that bicycle advocates in western Europe must be recruited almost exclusively from among kindergarten teachers. If someone gave me chocolate for making proper hand signals, or obeying traffic laws that I'm supposed to obey anyway, or not killing old people on sidewalks, I would look askance at them, or maybe even be tempted to kick their ass.
Old 09-21-11, 04:16 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I suspect, based on this post, that bicycle advocates in western Europe must be recruited almost exclusively from among kindergarten teachers. If someone gave me chocolate for making proper hand signals, or obeying traffic laws that I'm supposed to obey anyway, or not killing old people on sidewalks, I would look askance at them, or maybe even be tempted to kick their ass.
Copenhagen isn't Western Europe anymore than Boston is the Eastern U.S.
Old 09-21-11, 04:29 AM
jezmellors

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sideWALK.
Old 09-21-11, 05:07 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jezmellors
sideWALK.
Isn't it pavement in your neck of the woods?
Old 09-21-11, 05:40 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Footpath here.

Old 09-21-11, 06:12 AM
trike_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a slightly useless article. I live in Copenhagen and bikes on sidewalks is not I problem I've noticed. Sidewalks are irritating to ride on compared to the bike path or main roadway because they are often textured (concrete slabs, bricks, or rougher pavement) and because they are very often are raised from the bike path or roadway. They are also closer to hedges and fences, which limits visibility including that of cars pulling out of driveways, and of course are randomly occupied by people. Its almost always easier to ride with cars than pedestrians. I'm not familiar with this particular place they speak of, but there must be an especially good localized reason for bikes to be on the sidewalks.

Bikes of course drive all the time in walking streets which can be irritating, but thats a separate issue and its got nothing to do with being too successful with bike usage.
Old 09-21-11, 09:35 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I know pedestrians don't like getting hit by bikes, but would they prefer to get hit by the car that the bike is replacing?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-21-11, 10:49 AM
jezmellors

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Isn't it pavement in your neck of the woods?
Yes it is but the play on words wouldn't have worked. Lots of names actually, 20 miles down the road from me in Barnsley they call it the "causey-edge" (the edge of the causeway)
Old 09-21-11, 11:41 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trike_guy
That was a slightly useless article. I live in Copenhagen and bikes on sidewalks is not I problem I've noticed.
Agreed. The scooters are way worse.
Old 09-21-11, 09:15 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To American way of thinking, yes your attitude is well justified. We are a punitive culture that controls it's citizens by brute force & incarceration masquerading as a loving whole lot of like minded democratic loving humans. Positive reinforcement smacks too much of a rather wimpy way of winning cooperation. I think that the European immigrants that generally migrated to this country were the rougher greedy ones that were too individualistic and were not orientated to or did not cooperated with group functions as a rule. And look carefully at over 200 years of this sort of behavior has bred. Not the sort of behavior a global leader should be with no single pay health insurance or a guaranteed basic standard of living (a supported welfare state or safety net, not a punitive privatized charity patchwork system) for all of it's citizens.

Copenhagen, Amsterdam and the rest of those cities & towns in Northern & Western European countries have attained this ideal a long time ago.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 09-21-11 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For folder fanatic:
Old 09-22-11, 09:53 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
To American way of thinking, yes your attitude is well justified. We are a punitive culture that controls it's citizens by brute force & incarceration masquerading as a loving whole lot of like minded democratic loving humans. Positive reinforcement smacks too much of a rather wimpy way of winning cooperation. I think that the European immigrants that generally migrated to this country were the rougher greedy ones that were too individualistic and were not orientated to or did not cooperated with group functions as a rule. And look carefully at over 200 years of this sort of behavior has bred. Not the sort of behavior a global leader should be with no single pay health insurance or a guaranteed basic standard of living (a supported welfare state or safety net, not a punitive privatized charity patchwork system) for all of it's citizens.

Copenhagen, Amsterdam and the rest of those cities & towns in Northern & Western European countries have attained this ideal a long time ago.
I think you've missed my point. I have no problem with positive forms of persuasion. I do, however, have a serious problem with gestures that are condescending, inapproriate to the intended audience, or annoyingly nanny-esque. I firmly believe that the vast majority of adults get pretty irritated when they are treated as if they were toddlers.
Old 09-23-11, 03:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I think you've missed my point. I have no problem with positive forms of persuasion. I do, however, have a serious problem with gestures that are condescending, inapproriate to the intended audience, or annoyingly nanny-esque. I firmly believe that the vast majority of adults get pretty irritated when they are treated as if they were toddlers.
At the very least, the rewards should be a Real Reward, not wimpy kiddy treats; free pizza and cold beer for instance.
Old 09-23-11, 04:17 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Yes, I'm sure most adults don't like being treated like children.

However, your original point was made in the context of this article which IMO treats its readers as children. The whole theme of it is this brave individual standing up for pedestrian rights against official indifference. I think you will find most scandinavian countries have a well developed culture of social responsibility and this extends to cyclists and their behaviour. How they maintain this admirable culture may include the use of the carrot (chocolate coated) as well as the stick and perhaps outsiders can learn a little from this.

For a informed view of cyclist/pedestrian relations in Copenhagen I suggest you read the post by trike_guy who actually lives there.
Old 09-23-11, 10:07 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Yes, I'm sure most adults don't like being treated like children.

However, your original point was made in the context of this article which IMO treats its readers as children. The whole theme of it is this brave individual standing up for pedestrian rights against official indifference. I think you will find most scandinavian countries have a well developed culture of social responsibility and this extends to cyclists and their behaviour. How they maintain this admirable culture may include the use of the carrot (chocolate coated) as well as the stick and perhaps outsiders can learn a little from this.

For a informed view of cyclist/pedestrian relations in Copenhagen I suggest you read the post by trike_guy who actually lives there.
The idea that this is individual behaviour modification is a bit misguided. Really, it’s a way to draw attention/spread the message/raise awareness/pick your favorite cliche’. Most Danes I know don’t take themselves so seriously that they’d feel patronized, and most would be happy to get a box of chocolates, toss it in their flower-laced basket (or tuck it in their rack), and share it with everyone in the office.
Old 09-23-11, 01:08 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by Pedaleur
Really, it’s a way to draw attention/spread the message/raise awareness/pick your favorite cliche’.
Absolutely.

I doubt if there are 'kindergarten teachers' standing at intersections handing out chocolates every day of the week. More, get people talking and thinking about responsible cycling. If it works, what the hell, have a laugh, have a chocolate.
Old 09-23-11, 04:23 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It sounds like parents have the same problems raising kids there as most do here,lack of discipline.Were raising a generation of wild beasts.

There's no need for bribes.When I was a kid,there was a loaded shotgun leaning against the wall in the kitchen at all times.Guess what,none of us boys EVER touched that weapon without permission.You know why,because dad's coming home at some point.....and I won't be able to sit for a week if I do.

You disrespect me out in public,guess what,I'm not your parents and your not at home,your going to have a bad day.

Last edited by Booger1; 09-23-11 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 04:33 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

If somebody stopped me adn said they noticed I was a careful and considerate cyclist, I would be pleases. If they also gave me some chocolate, I would be very pleased.

This is a way of informing people about bike rules and regulations. Presenting the information in a positive manner is probably just as effective as preaching about the no--nos.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-23-11, 05:48 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
At the very least, the rewards should be a Real Reward, not wimpy kiddy treats; free pizza and cold beer for instance.
Ok ...........so someone from the mayor's office shows up on the street handing out beer to cyclists. Somehow this doesn't seem appropriate or even remotely likely.

However, if it did happen, I wouldn't say no...

Last edited by gerv; 09-23-11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 05:50 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Ok so someone from the mayor's office shows up on the street handing out beer to cyclists. Somehow this doesn't seem appropriate or even remotely likely.

However, if it did happen, I wouldn't say no... :grin:
I'm guessing you've never been to Denmark. ;-)
Likes For Pedaleur:
Old 09-23-11, 09:06 PM
cyclocello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
For every pedestrian telling me to get off the sidewalk, there are a dozen motorists telling me to get on the sidewalk.
ya, between a rock and a hard place. At least where I live, there is about 1 pedestrian every mile (except by the schools).
Old 09-24-11, 12:54 PM
DrJerry

Bikes: Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Ok so someone from the mayor's office shows up on the street handing out beer to cyclists. Somehow this doesn't seem appropriate or even remotely likely.

However, if it did happen, I wouldn't say no... :grin:
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
I'm guessing you've never been to Denmark. ;-)
When I was in Germany, our boss handed out beer after lunch. In Holland they have separate bicycle "roads" dating back years. One was recently modernised, was originally built by Napoleon and goes from Amsterdam to Paris.
Old 09-26-11, 03:44 AM
trike_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
It sounds like parents have the same problems raising kids there as most do here,lack of discipline.Were raising a generation of wild beasts.
Its the same problem with parents that have more money than time. However lets not blame the kids, in Denmark bikes generally disregard any traffic rule which is inconvenient; the solution to bikes riding on sidewalks must surely be to make it less convenient to ride there than some other place. Hopefully that means improving some other place.

Interestingly enough, in Denmark the police rarely seem to take interest in enforcing traffic rules for either bikes or cars, in fact the police are hardly visible out on the roads. Its impressive and perhaps instructive that things keep working well, except for perhaps a bike on a sidewalk here and there.
Old 09-26-11, 05:24 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Its the same problem with parents that have more money than time. However lets not blame the kids, in Denmark bikes generally disregard any traffic rule which is inconvenient; the solution to bikes riding on sidewalks must surely be to make it less convenient to ride there than some other place. Hopefully that means improving some other place.
While you can find scofflaws anywhere, I found the cyclists generally obeyed most laws -- certainly better than in the US. Not meaning to quibble -- just my observations in Odense (I rode little in Copenhagen).

Interestingly enough, in Denmark the police rarely seem to take interest in enforcing traffic rules for either bikes or cars, in fact the police are hardly visible out on the roads. Its impressive and perhaps instructive that things keep working well, except for perhaps a bike on a sidewalk here and there.
Generally, they pick a week in the Fall where they have strict enforcement (announced in advance) where they'll pip you 500kr for anything and everything. I had a friend who got a ticket last year for riding in a crosswalk. The details are irrelevant, but at one point she asked, "So if this were next week, you wouldn't have ticketed me?"

To which the policeman answered, "Basically."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.