Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

YOUR CALVES ARE CRAMPING - you're still riding - what do you do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 06:22 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On yesterday's ride my left calf started cramping occasionally around mile 30. I stretched it out by planting my heel and then leaning forward as far as possible, fine-tuning the pressure using my arms to control my angle leaning against a tree.
  • It seemed to help but is there something better to do?
I kept cramping occasionally and had to repeat this process about 6 more times over the next 30 miles.
[I screwed up by not drinking enough water - 3 bottles of water, 1 of cider - it was about 75 but I was riding fairly slowly and making several long (30 minute) stops - sculpture museum, hot rod car show, pizza place, farm stand.]

Unfortunately the tale has a sad ending! [Very punny!] I was trying out a new saddle, a Selle Italia Max Flite, to see if I had finally found a comfy perch and the answer was NO!
Old 09-10-12, 06:24 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
The only thing you can do:

HTFU.

Old 09-10-12, 06:44 AM
Wesley36

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually try to massage the calf a bit to loosen it up as well as stretching.
Old 09-10-12, 07:24 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is one of those things that are better to prevent rather than try to cure.

Drink a lot of water, do some light stretching before you go out and warm up before you go hard. Some people cramp up easier than others. Generally, a good level of overall fitness reduces the chances of cramping up during any sort of exercise.

If you do get cramps while out on the roads. Get off, and relax for a minute. Then try to loosen the calf (several ways to do this) and continue riding once the tension is gone. Do this when you feel the first signs of tension, not when you have a full on cramp ( at that point, it will be harder and take longer to get rid off). Once you continue cycling, pick a gear and choose to pedal in such a way to go easy on the calves (between 3 and 6 o clock in your pedaling motion). This will get you home without injury.

Too bad the saddle did not work out for you.
Old 09-10-12, 07:45 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a Tums and drink more fluids.
Old 09-10-12, 07:45 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammer Endurolites.
Old 09-10-12, 07:47 AM
rvk5150

Bikes: Bianchi Brava, Bianchi Osprey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that when I start to cramp (rare but it happens) in either my calf or thigh I will stand on my pedals; not actually pedal or maybe only once or twice; but just stand up and flex....when I sit back down I feel the blood rush over and my muscles relax/stretch out a bit.

Just my .02
Old 09-10-12, 07:50 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If your calves are cramping, it could be a fit issue. I would expect your thighs to cramp, not your calves. Everyone is different though.
Old 09-10-12, 07:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
For cramping you might consider your nutrition supplements. Potassium; magnesium & sodium. Don't overdo the magnesium or you'll get loose stools.
Old 09-10-12, 08:39 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Read this article about the Pickle juice research done at Brigham Young University.

It's been working for me.
Old 09-10-12, 10:23 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
My calves periodically cramp (not severely) on rides also but i generally recognize the signs of impending cramps and deal with it before they become full cramps. I usually have pretty good success stretching the calves while riding - if you have clipless pedals, just put your foot down at the bottom of the pedal strike, lower your heel as much as you can and enjoy the stretching sensation you get. Repeat with the other foot. Once that's over with, I generally try to avoid riding toe-down (which is another way of saying I'll try to focus on keeping my heel a little lower than normal) and that seems to help as well.
Old 09-10-12, 10:33 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's almost certainly not a hydration issue. Sounds like you were drinking plenty, and besides, insufficient hydration/electrolytes isn't actually that well supported as a cause of cramps. See this Science of Sport series: https://www.sportsscientists.com/2007...ories-and.html.

I agree with the poster who said it sounds like your fit is off. I would add to that the question of overall fitness. I would take a look at your cleat position and/or saddle height. If you're putting a lot of strain on your calves because of your riding position, that would likely contribute to cramping. My first thought is that you should consider moving your cleats back so there's less of a lever force on your foot that your calf has to compensate for. Good luck.
Old 09-10-12, 10:36 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also will periodically fill a cramp coming which I recognize I put that pedal at 6 o'clock stand straight up push my heel down and stretch that calve as much as I can it helps me.
If its my
thigh I will put it at 12 o'clock so its stretched as much as possible on the bike if I can I'll take my thumb and stretch out the muscle like a massage method this helps me.
But drink plenty and try to prevent it first but sometimes it happens.

Old 09-10-12, 10:38 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pound every last oz of liquid I have on the bike.
Old 09-10-12, 10:46 AM
DeanB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only get cramps in my calves occasionally when I get off the bike or put a foot down at a stop and get back on. Then it's a race to get my foot clipped in and pedaling... if I can start pedaling before it's a full fledged cramp it's usually not so bad.
Old 09-10-12, 10:52 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ask this guy.
Old 09-10-12, 10:56 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cramping is due to a lack of fitness but it can be aggravated by hydration and heat issues. The best way I have found to deal with a cramp is to let it cramp and pedal through it. In other words, you let the muscle cramp and then force it to stretch against its will. It is painful. Really painful. But after an episode of full cramp/pedal through, the cramp goes away and doesn't come back. I have never found adding electrolytes to work. Electrolytes might stave off cramping, but once you are there, all the salt tablets/pickle juice/gatoraid in the world won't make them disappear.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 09-10-12 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 11:00 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Had terrible cramping issues last year. Usually calf cramps and would hit around the 35-mile marker into an intense ride. Mostly in warmer weather also. This spring, I started taking over-the-counter Magnesium and Potassium vitamin supplements. Just one a day in the morning, (but did take two the morning of a hilly century ride last month). Haven't cramped even once since I started taking the Mg and K pills.

The owner of one of my LBS asked me if I believed in "old wives tales". He said what works for him, when he cramps, is to down one of those little fast-food restaurant mustard packets. I've been riding with two, but haven't had a chance to test his "theory" because it looks like my cramping days are behind me, (yeah!).
Old 09-10-12, 02:08 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hobkirk
- it was about 75 but I was riding fairly slowly and making several long (30 minute) stops - sculpture museum, hot rod car show, pizza place, farm stand.]
Stop at a store and buy a bag of ice. Put it on the muscle and the cramp will immediately go away.
Old 09-10-12, 02:26 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
Hammer Endurolites.
+1
Old 09-10-12, 02:26 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-10-12, 02:31 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Cramping is due to a lack of fitness but it can be aggravated by hydration and heat issues. The best way I have found to deal with a cramp is to let it cramp and pedal through it. In other words, you let the muscle cramp and then force it to stretch against its will. It is painful. Really painful. But after an episode of full cramp/pedal through, the cramp goes away and doesn't come back. I have never found adding electrolytes to work. Electrolytes might stave off cramping, but once you are there, all the salt tablets/pickle juice/gatoraid in the world won't make them disappear.
This I agree with if I'm off for more than 3 weeks thats when I can get them otherwise I seem to be ok.
Old 09-10-12, 02:45 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the OP's case it seems pretty obvious that the new saddle is suspicious... if it's not comfy, he's going to subconsciously try to lighten the pressure on his crotch... most likely by using his dominant calf. Presto, cramp-o.

I know something about cramps in long road races, since I get them pretty much every time. I've read everything I can find, tried endless formulations and the best I can tell you is that "Science" seems to think that cramps are not caused by dehydration or electrolytes... best correlation from plain old fatique, second best from plain old heat. This assuming bike fit is not the root cause.

I will testify that mustard packets and pickle juice seem to help... but not until the cramp is already started hard to say with scientific accuracy, just my experience.

Old 09-10-12, 06:47 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving my cleats back ever so slightly on my feet made me much less prone to cramping. The further back your cleats are the less you engage the calf muscle. But if you tweak your cleat position your saddle position will change slightly as well.
Old 09-10-12, 06:50 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here - FWIW:

First, this was a plea for "what do you do when cramps happen?" Not, "why did I cramp?" I described how I stretch because I thought maybe someone had a better technique. I appreciate the suggestions about stretching while riding by changing my position and the angle of my foot, although I already do that (standing, heel as far down as possible, leaning forward as far as possible. By the time I stop, that is having almost zero effect and I am focused on getting off and stretched before I cramp so hard I have a very tough time getting off the bike.

Second, responding to some of the posts:
  1. I ride 150-160 miles a week, most of my rides are at least 30 miles, and I've done at least a dozen 50+ mile rides this year. So cramping at 30 miles (not easy but not hard either) is very unusual.
  2. I did, however, run into a series of problems that kept me off the bike for 6 days, the longest stretch this year. So this might have merit. Hopefully I won't get many opportunities to do that again!
  3. To H with all you "HTFU" people. I am confident I've got more experience toughing it out than most of you in whatever AND I'm asking for help, not idiotic mantras of "you're just a sissy." Who are you to decide I am not willing to suffer enough? I am cramping because of idiocy or chemistry or whatever, but absolutely NOT because I'm not trying hard!
  4. I am quite sure I did not ride very differently because of the saddle - I've been searching for a long time for a saddle that doesn't have me stretching and repositioning after 20-30 miles. I adjusted the fore/aft and angle of the seat several times on the ride, searching for the optimal position. I'm an old hand at this - I've done it with a dozen seats. And the best seat so far is a piece of junk semi-comfort seat with a large cutout that I got at a garage sale for $2 (new) - Serfas, no model. I just sold my Brooks 17, I've mostly used the Specialized Avatar, but I have quite a few miles on a similar Fizik (sp?).

Thank all you non-HTFU responders. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your suggestions and observations.
Mustard? I'll have to try that, although hopefully I won't need to.

Ice? That seems worthwhile to try, although it's hard when you're out pounding it out in the boondocks. But if my legs cramp at home (like they did last night), I will try that. The cramps are scary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.