Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 07:35 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had worked on Saturday, so I had a couple extra hours of comp-ish time that I cashed in on a little yesterday afternoon and left work a little early. Turned my 7 mile flat commute home into a 15 miler w/ some more climbing. Good fun. Legs are getting better at climbing. Now I just need to keep at it so the lungs can keep up, too, and lose some more weight so I'm not moving as much mass up the hill in the first place. If my wife hadn't asked me to run a couple errands in my extra time away from work, I would have probably ridden many more miles...

No complaints at all this AM. Weather was AWESOME! 45, sunny, little wind. Absolutely perfect riding weather. Wore shorts with just a fleece to cover my t-shirt. Got going from home slightly earlier than I normally do and made good time, so I had a few minuted to make a quick loop down the Mall to the Lincoln Memorial, too, before going to the office. Not a bad ride, huh? Perfect weather combined with seeing in order: the DC skyline from across the Potomac, the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington Monument, the White House, and the Lincoln Memorial. Days like this I realize I'm lucky to be alive and to live where I do -- or at least commute where I do.
Old 04-20-10, 08:02 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool this morning. Needed the base layer under my jersey. Ride started out uneventful which it usually is at 6:00 AM.

However as I approached a 4 way stop I saw headlights behind me and was preparing to move further to the right to let him pass. I'm glad I hesitated for a second because he zoomed by me on the right.

As I approached the 4 way stop there was already a car stopped at the stop sign. I slowed down expecting him to go so I wouldn't have to come to a complete stop. Of course he didn't move. I stopped, foot down, and he still didn't move. I waved at him to go which he finally did.

I hate 4 way stops.
Old 04-20-10, 08:31 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Beautiful! It was finally warm enough this morning (10C) to wear shorts on the way in. Last week it was still barely above freezing in the mornings.
Old 04-20-10, 09:41 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
50F and clammy.
Old 04-20-10, 11:50 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
47F at 4:30AM for the commute this morning. No wind. Saw a family of gray fox on my way along the Platte River trail.
Looks like it may rain on the ride home.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 04-20-10, 12:31 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first time back on BF in a long time--I was burned out and stuff. I am happy to report that I now have a new job and consequently a new commute route. This has re-energized me physically and emotionally. I've been doing the new commute for a week now and I like it.

The previous commute was about 4.5 miles; the new one is 5.1 (according to my car), with much less traffic, better roads, fewer lights and fewer hills.

However, the bike rack here (which is the cheapest bike rack I've ever seen) is outdoors. For those here who have to park their bikes outside, what do y'all do when it rains? It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

It's good to be back!
Old 04-20-10, 12:55 PM
ZmanKC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take off my handlebar mounted lights and computer. I leave the taillights on. Lock it up and bring a paper towel with me to dry off the seat.

Except for the paper towel, this is what I do every day.
Old 04-20-10, 12:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
For tomorrow, pack a large garbage bag or two. If you carry stuff, put it in the bags, then in your panniers or whatever. When you get to work, cover up the bike with the bags, especially the handlebars and seat. Secure them with bungee cords.

And.... welcome back!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-20-10, 01:02 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ZmanKC and Doohickie. Nothing electronic fortunately, but the garbage bags should do the trick!

Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
Old 04-20-10, 01:15 PM
ZmanKC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garbage bags sound better than a paper towel. I'll have to try that tomorrow.
Old 04-20-10, 02:25 PM
mark2olson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to be into work by 7:00 a.m., with a 50 minute ride of approximately 10 miles, I figured that I'd get up at 5:00, get ready, and leave by 6:00. First light was just breaking over the trees when I left the house. I had locked my bike in the shed rather than the garage and I hoped that, with the slight change in routine, I would not forget anything. The temperature was a brisk 41 degrees fahrenheit with just a slight wind blowing into my face. The cyclists riding downtown were enjoying the slight breeze as it was pushing them just a little bit. I was going the other way.

I encountered a few cyclists, some that I recognized from last year, a few runners, and two walkers. I scared the living daylights out of one of the walkers when I announced myself.

"On your left," I let loose with the obligatory announcement as I slowed down to pass. The walker jumped as if he were startled. I apologized and passed him.

For the second commute of the year, I did pretty well. I need to build my stamina but I made it in just under 50 minutes.

With the wind out of the south, I'll have the wind at my back on the way home.
Old 04-20-10, 03:32 PM
rando

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. temps in the 80s, but a little breezy. I've started listening to music/news on the commute, the time seems to go faster and I don't seem as fatigued. Still a little nervous about the lack of audible warnings/cues, so I've been visually hypervigilant to make up for it.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 04-20-10, 04:39 PM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drizzled about 1/2 way through the ride and I thought that would be all the precipitation I would encounter. Wrong. I was completely drenched by the time I arrived at work. But the rain help me stay cool so I didn't actually mind. I just have to proofide my saddle.
Old 04-20-10, 07:24 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unseasonably warm, a tailwind all the way to work. Otherwise unremarkable, apart from passing a unicycle rider on the m.u.p.. Came out the to bike racks after 5:00 to find a unicycle locked up to one of the racks. I guess he works in my building.
I used to see a unicyclist all the time in the mornings on my Calgary commuting route. Could it be the same one...has he followed me to Saskatoon?
Old 04-20-10, 08:10 PM
bamacrazy 

Bikes: 05 Specialized Hardrock Pro, 2000 Bianchi Axis, 2015 All City Nature Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first two commutes were Thursday and Friday of last week. Those were amazing! Today i started out in a very light rain with the temp in the 60's. My commute is 7.5 miles and currently takes around 27 minutes. About a mile and 1/2 away from work I flatted my front tire. I was able to reinflate the airlocks and make it on in. Felt great all day! Started losing air in the rear on the ride home. With no co2 left I worried I might end up pushing. I made it in, though. I recently switched back to marathon Supreme tires in700x32c. I left the airlock 700x20-28 on and am wondering if that was part of the problem. When
I got home I put on a new set of 35-38 tubes. Can't ride tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to Thursday!
Old 04-20-10, 08:19 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
perfect weather today for commuting. nice ride along the Charles River both on the way in and the way home. Had to change locations mid-day and that little inner city commute was fine and dandy- and unlike my colleagues no parking issues!

My wife is back on the bike for commuting these days and it's so fun to see her so gleeful when she gets home from her bike ride. Driving to work every day really does a number on the attitude- especially in a city like Boston where traffic is such an issue.
Old 04-20-10, 08:24 PM
Voxxy Brown
Canadian Commuter

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute was awesome today. 22km, sunny and warm enough for a t-shirt, and my wife sent my 9 year old to meet me at the end of the street and I took him to the park.
Old 04-21-10, 12:42 AM
danva198301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morning: Had someone pull out in front of me. They were pulling out of a hilly driveway with a pretty blocked view. I was riding comfortably about 3 feet out into the lane (std 11 foot width), farther out in the middle of the lane and he probably would have seen me when he had checked his left. He started then to slowly pull up off the hill onto the road looking right when he looks back left and sees me already with both hands on my brakes, at this point he is completely broadside blocking the lane. I am glad I was far enough out that I saw him start to pull out, and was thinking well enough to anticipate his mistake a bit, and was braking soon enough that I didn't need to pull an emergency brake, 4 feet closer and I would have just been able to barely stop, 6 feet closer and I would not have had an evening ride home. A bike first time bike newb asked for directions into the city, had him follow me in part way (YES, chalk one bike karma debt payed off). Was a good ride.

Evening: Didn't leave office until 8:30, 51F (~11C) chillier than yesterday but still very near todays high temperature. Was a pleasant, pretty peaceful ride at times with few cars on the road - almost all of them gave a full lane when passing, rest were good about passing.Some strong crosswinds on I90, both on the Seattle and Bellevue side (Bellevue side usually doesn't get too windy at all).
Old 04-21-10, 12:51 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This morning's commute was pretty slow. It took me 65 minutes to get to work, instead of the usual 55 due to some headwinds and a sore knee I've been having for the past few days. Not sure where it came from, but it's slowly getting better now.

Besides that I've set my goal for this year to 8000km, but I've been running behind on schedule. Normally I would have to do 667km a month to keep on schedule, which I failed due to 700x23C tires and a lot of snow. Right now I've only done 2168km so far, resulting in having to do 729km each month starting this May. I think I'll be fine. I hope...

Weather has been generous on me for the past weeks, we've had some days with temperatures up to 20C, mostly it just stays around 12C though. Long cycling bibs in the morning, short ones in the afternoon, which unfortunately results in a heavier backpack each day. If that's the price to pay for nice weather, I'll be happy to take out the wallet.
Old 04-21-10, 04:39 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a quiet ride in at 5 C ( 42 F). Expecting rain coming in later today, which is fine. With less clothes on, getting wet is not a problem. I just keep the shoes as dry as possible.
Old 04-21-10, 05:33 AM
phillyskyline
urban commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A nice ride in to work at around 50 degrees. It's supposed to rain on and off all day, but it's beautiful right now. I rode right past the guy who almost hit me yesterday...lucky for me, he had already parked this morning!
Old 04-21-10, 06:39 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid 40sF. Little bit of a headwind. Didn't see any cyclists going my way, but there were several riding the other way.
Old 04-21-10, 07:22 AM
2su

Bikes: Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting sucks with an upset stomach: too much pizza last night!
Old 04-21-10, 07:51 AM
ridethatbike
In the top 42%

Bikes: Salsa CCC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride yesterday, 23 miles round trip. Pretty chilly in the AM with fingerless gloves (42*), but once I got warmed up it was great. The ride home was terrific, upper-60's and light wind. Finally!
Old 04-21-10, 08:25 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Nice ride in, a bit breezy.

My route goes along one edge of our provincial legislature grounds (the main government buildings of the province). As I approached the area on my way home yesterday afternoon, I saw an unusual amount of pedestrian activity. I wondered what was going on until I almost simultaneously noticed (1) a peculiar scent, and (2) folks wearing T-shirts saying, "Don't Fear the Reefer". Ah yes, 4/20 day.

Last edited by groovestew; 04-21-10 at 08:30 AM. Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.