Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Stripped SLR for cyclocross?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 11:28 AM
vincesiposg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stripped SLR for cyclocross?

Hi guys!
I've just finished my new cx bike, except one thing. I'd had a retro saddle, so I put it on to test the new bike. Some days ago I bought a Selle Italia Flite(the alpes edition). Now I could exchange it to a stripped SLR. Is a carbon saddle without any wrapping enough for cyclocross use? I am not really into racing, I am just a hobby user, but I want my bike to look good, modern and the flite is a bit oldschool (but really comfortable). What do you think?
Thanks, vincesiposg
Old 09-04-15, 12:14 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
If you're going to race the bike, a bare carbon saddle could make remounts interesting, especially if it's wet out.

If you're just riding the bike, go for it if you think it'll be comfortable.

Last edited by justin1138; 09-04-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 12:17 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just go with what makes you 'feel' best! The SLR might look cooler when you're off the bike, but you wouldn't look better on the bike if you like the Flite better...
Old 09-04-15, 01:01 PM
vincesiposg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the good advices. I haven't thaught about the remounts....but it's very important. What do you think? Could I easily slip off the saddle when I remount on a rainy day?
Old 09-04-15, 02:46 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by vincesiposg
Thank you for the good advices. I haven't thaught about the remounts....but it's very important. What do you think? Could I easily slip off the saddle when I remount on a rainy day?
I don't know that you would, it's just the first thing that came to mind at the thought of an uncovered saddle.

Anecdotally, I entertained the idea of using this old leather saddle I have for my cross bike last season because I liked the aesthetics of it. The thing is well worn and quite slick. The first couple of times I tried remounting with it (practice in the park), it was very clear that the lack of a fabric cover could present itself as an issue come race day. It's also hard as a rock, so an excited remount wouldn't have felt too good either.
Old 09-04-15, 03:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
pdw dios thronous saddle https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/cockpi...hronous-saddle are cheap waterproof and you wont cry if you crash, tear it up and have to replace it

cinelli unicanitor is back too Unicanitor
Old 09-09-15, 03:15 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
a Flite saddle is "oldschool" now? - news to me. Ti rails, 220-230 grams or so -- I happily use them on my most modern machinery because they are the best for my needs