Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

HotRNot? Cross/Gravel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 09:15 AM
IcySmooth52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I agree with you actually. For me, at least, having a cross bike that's too pretty keeps me from using it the way it's meant to be used. This bike doesn't have that problem.
Exacto-ly! I could've gone to a carbon cross bike, but intentionally didn't because I was getting it to be my bad-weather/winter bike in addition to dirt roads.
Old 09-04-15, 02:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I gotta disagree on the opinion of the components on the Simoncini. Suntour barcons are among the best friction shifters ever made. Campagnola High flange hubs are first rate, Deore XT derailleurs are advanced for their time and as light as road bike gear. The Sugino 48, 36 and 26 cranks provide a wide range with the 13-24 seven speed freewheel. The only budget item are the rims, but they are tough enough for gravel with great quality and finish. I built the bike for vintage events where cantilever brakes are allowed.

The Pedal Force is a practical mix of components for gravel and ultra-light touring, but not really top-of-the-line gear. This bike will be used for a fast tour of the KATY Trail next spring.
Well, I'm judging this by "hot or not" standards. The components on the Simoncini may be great functionally, but I think they're kind of ugly. I especially dislike the look of the shifters and brake levers. I'm not even willing to grant a "period correct" exception for those. The XT derailleur reminds me of a "Mountain LX" derailleur that came on an '89 RockHopper I used to have. It worked well enough that I eventually used it on another bike, but it looks old without being retro cool.

Frankly, I didn't even notice the hubs. On first glance they look kind of like the ubiquitous single speed Formula hubs, and paired with those rims they didn't get a second glance. Since you've pointed out their quality, I have to deduct even more points for mixing Campy and Shimano components. With that frame, you really should go full Campy.

I do like the crank.

The Pedal Force components may be mid-grade but they look nice and perform well, which I think makes them well paired with the frame.
Old 09-04-15, 02:31 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Is the Bianchi Zolder hot? It's only on the fence for me. Cyclocross obviously isn't Bianchi's forte.
I like it. Matte black bikes are everywhere, but they generally look good. The brake cable looks a bit sloppy going across the top tube. The top tube-head tube junction is also a bit odd.

The biggest problem I see with this bike is the general lack of something to be excited about.
Old 09-04-15, 03:05 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
my Altamira CX1.3

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-04-15, 03:50 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by jsigone
my Altamira CX1.3
Too many color splashes. And who thought "Oval" was a good name for a wheel brand? Oval chainrings? Maybe. Oval wheels? No.

I haven't used SRAM components, but they definitely look nice.
Old 09-04-15, 04:28 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my Altamira CX1.3
It's HOT in my book!

Makes me think of my Altamira road bike. I often wonder, was the Fuji Altamira (Raven) or Lapierre Xelius (Layla) better under me?
Old 09-04-15, 07:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
First to admit the CX tires spend far more time hanging on the rack in the shop than they do on the bike, but road tires or not, it's still a CX bike.

Old 09-04-15, 10:12 PM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Fuji bike is hot as I like pops of color
Old 09-05-15, 12:16 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Back on topic now. The above is for a thread like "Where does a cross bike go?"

Is the Bianchi Zolder hot? It's only on the fence for me. Cyclocross obviously isn't Bianchi's forte.
This looks like the same frame mold my Fuji and Broadman uses and same internal routing with di2 options. I'm sure each use different carbon types and layup. My Fuji is pretty awesome in stiffness and dampening. IMO would be better with Celeste logos on the UD carbon...
Old 09-05-15, 08:38 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 16 Posts
some fresh photos of mine, all stripped down and ready for cross season.

Old 09-05-15, 04:27 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HOT! - wouldn't normally think that of an aluminum raleigh, but I like the 1x, nice wheels, functional electrical tape, and great photos. coming out of left field on that one, but way to earn that thing a Hot.
Old 09-05-15, 10:06 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by justin1138
some fresh photos of mine, all stripped down and ready for cross season.]
Nicely done with hotness
Old 09-06-15, 12:09 AM
Andy_K 

Have you raced on those tires yet? How wide do they come out at on those rims?
Old 09-06-15, 07:18 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Simoncini is clearly hot.

Nature Boy is also hot.

I would gleefully own either.
Old 09-07-15, 08:53 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice, but not hot. So like the Kona, it's a perfect balance of cool and unafraid to ride HARD!

BTW: To keep things/H2O out of the holes better than tape, put the bolts back in. But put thread sealant in as well. Doesn't lock the bolts in, acts as an anti-lock (not ideal for torqued in pieces like BB) and also keep liquids out.
Old 09-07-15, 09:45 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BenPS
HOT! - wouldn't normally think that of an aluminum raleigh, but I like the 1x, nice wheels, functional electrical tape, and great photos. coming out of left field on that one, but way to earn that thing a Hot.
Nicely done with hotness
Thanks both.

Have you raced on those tires yet? How wide do they come out at on those rims?
I've got a handful of races with these tires. I rode them last year for all the early season dry races + I sometimes raced this bike for the STXC series at PIR this summer. The tires work well enough for racing. They're considerably heavier than a standard sized cross tire, but they soak up a lot of the bumps, work well in grass, obviously are going to do well on hardpack, etc. Once it gets muddy though, they're no good. They measure out to ~39mm on these rims.

Nice, but not hot. So like the Kona, it's a perfect balance of cool and unafraid to ride HARD!

BTW: To keep things/H2O out of the holes better than tape, put the bolts back in. But put thread sealant in as well. Doesn't lock the bolts in, acts as an anti-lock (not ideal for torqued in pieces like BB) and also keep liquids out.
The bolts came out because I kept catching my elbow on them when shouldering the bike. As good as your tip is, I'd rather not bloody my elbow up everytime I throw the bike on my shoulder. The electrical tape was a place holder until I found something else but it turns out it works just fine for keeping everything out and it adds to the bike's overall hardness
Old 09-07-15, 04:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
5mm stainless steel or even plastic setscrews will fill the holes . I have some behind my frame pump on the seat tube.
Old 09-11-15, 09:30 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was going through Felt's 2016 lineup, and I think this cross's color scheme is a HOT ONE!

Might even look better with mud...
Attached Images
Old 09-20-15, 09:53 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Well, I'm judging this by "hot or not" standards. The components on the Simoncini may be great functionally, but I think they're kind of ugly. I especially dislike the look of the shifters and brake levers. I'm not even willing to grant a "period correct" exception for those. The XT derailleur reminds me of a "Mountain LX" derailleur that came on an '89 RockHopper I used to have. It worked well enough that I eventually used it on another bike, but it looks old without being retro cool.

Frankly, I didn't even notice the hubs. On first glance they look kind of like the ubiquitous single speed Formula hubs, and paired with those rims they didn't get a second glance. Since you've pointed out their quality, I have to deduct even more points for mixing Campy and Shimano components. With that frame, you really should go full Campy.

I do like the crank.

The Pedal Force components may be mid-grade but they look nice and perform well, which I think makes them well paired with the frame.
Originally Posted by gomango
Simoncini is clearly hot.

Nature Boy is also hot.

I would gleefully own either.
Andy, you need to take the Poll: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...cd-ar-you.html

Most knowledgeable vintage bike users, including gomango, would disagree with you opinions, because they misrepresent reality. My Simoncini was originally built in 1995 with Japanese components. This was also the case for most Italian road bikes sold after 1990. Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs are an especially bad choice on a Cyclocross bike during this time.

You confuse a Campagnolo hubs fitted with a freewheel with a Formula single speed hub, and we should accept your opinion? Deore XT is attractive, especially on a black bike and it functions perfectly. Check the prices on eBay for vintage Deore XT in excellent condition and get in touch with the facts.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-21-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 11:39 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Vintage XT is always a great choice.

I wouldn't even argue this point.

Andy, you need to take the Poll: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...cd-ar-you.html

Most knowledgeable vintage bike users, including gomango, would disagree with you opinions, because they misrepresent reality. My Simoncini was originally built in 1995 with Japanese components. This was also the case for most Italian road bikes sold after 1990. Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs are an especially bad choice on a Cyclocross bike during this time.

You confuse a Campagnolo hubs fitted with a freewheel with a Formula single speed hub, and we should accept your opinion? Deore XT is attractive, especially on a black bike and it functions perfectly. Check the prices on eBay for vintage Deore XT in excellent condition and get in touch with the facts.

Andy's opinions do not have any merit on the basis of function or aesthetics.
Old 09-20-15, 11:30 PM
Andy_K 

Most knowledgeable vintage bike users, including gomango, would disagree with you opinions, because they misrepresent reality.
I think you misunderstand. I wasn't claiming even moderate vintage bike knowledge. I was just saying what I thought didn't look good and why.

I stand corrected on which group set the frame should have had. I guess you should have gone all Shimano. You do understand that bit (and really all of this) was tongue-in-cheek though, right?

I also stand by my statement that on first glance this:

looks like this:

But, yeah, I'm fairly OCD.
Old 09-21-15, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Top Campag One, is HF road front Hub.
Old 09-24-15, 01:07 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by jtbadge
Zona. SSCX.

Like a firecracker! I'd race that!
Old 09-25-15, 08:21 AM
curtiseddie
Deadrise & Derailleurs

Bikes: Schwinn Moab, Focus Mares AX, Kona Kahuna DL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigC_82
I will join in the critics with my 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

How do you like your RX? I am looking at the RX and the Willard. I'm new to the road/gravel bike area.
Old 09-25-15, 03:18 PM
xjustice09x

Bikes: 2012 BMC SLR01, 2012 Yeti ASR5, 2013 Trek Crockett

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know i am breaking a few rules of bike photography (non drive side, no white garage door.....) but here is my cross/commuter bike. The photo is slightly overexposed the blue is a little darker than the picture shows. The bike now has yellow bar tape.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140405_085559990.jpg (104.1 KB, 439 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.