Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 06:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Completely false. The slower you go, the more overall time savings you get from aero equipment.
Thats interesting. I had always read that being aero, which for many doing triathlons, was riding on the aero bars and being as aerodynamic as possible, didn’t matter unless you were up over 17-18 mph or so. I always had read and assumed that energy to gain speed is mostly an effort against the wind, thus it would make sense (to me) that aero tubing and wheels will have less effect at slower speeds and it’s only when you hit certain speeds do the frame and wheel design start to be beneficial. I’ve been know to be wrong though.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-01-19, 06:12 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Thats interesting. I had always read that being aero, which for many doing triathlons, was riding on the aero bars and being as aerodynamic as possible, didn’t matter unless you were up over 17-18 mph or so. I always had read and assumed that energy to gain speed is mostly an effort against the wind, thus it would make sense (to me) that aero tubing and wheels will have less effect at slower speeds and it’s only when you hit certain speeds do the frame and wheel design start to be beneficial. I’ve been know to be wrong though.
You're not wrong.
Old 08-01-19, 06:14 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I believe GCN did a Swiss Side episode worth watching
Apparently slower riders gain more from Aero due in part to the "sail" effect
Old 08-01-19, 06:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
A colleague’s Scott Foil is both light and aero. With carbon tubular wheels, it’s less than 14 lbs.
Old 08-01-19, 06:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You have to overcome air resistance walking at 2 mph. It's an insignificant part of the work of walking, but still must happen. On a bike at 10 mph, there's even more.

So if you do a 10 hour century, that's a lot of kJs that go into pushing through the air. If you go all in and cut your air resistance by 1/4, you've saved a lot of work, so if you're putting out the same power regardless, you'll finish faster. So far so good.

If you do a 3 hour century, being more aero is important, but at 3 hours you're not going to be able to shave much time. Impossible to shave more than 3 hours, right? If you were going to take 10, shaving 3 hours off your time is less than 1/3 the minutes, more doable. (I know the numbers are daft, I'm trying to make this easy to follow. You can math it out with real numbers.)

But it's really a matter of semantics. Below a certain speed, you don't care about speed, above a different threshold it's a drug and you want all you can get. 5 seconds is significant in a TT if it gets you on the podium. Saving 40 minutes on a long, slow recreational ride is numerically huge compared to those 5 seconds, but probably not significant to the rider.
Old 08-01-19, 10:31 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Part of the diminishing returns at very high speeds has to do with the amount of energy required to go even a small amount faster. Their is a point where aero does not creat a big enough advantage to overcome the wattage required.
I was told that aero trumps weight at speeds down to about 12 miles an hour. That is why you see riders climbing with aero wheels, especially in the professional ranks.
Old 08-01-19, 10:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Ride them both. And not just around the parking lot. Bring your pedals and shoes, ride each one for 10 or 15 minutes at least. You'll know which one you prefer.

When choosing between a Cervelo S3 (aero) and an R3 (lightweight,) it was the R3. It spoke to me.
Old 08-02-19, 12:27 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you do a 3 hour century, being more aero is important, but at 3 hours you're not going to be able to shave much time. Impossible to shave more than 3 hours, right? If you were going to take 10, shaving 3 hours off your time is less than 1/3 the minutes, more doable. (I know the numbers are daft, I'm trying to make this easy to follow. You can math it out with real numbers.)
I'm reminded of an old Greek turtle.
Old 08-02-19, 03:01 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Ride them both and buy the one which brings the biggest smile to your face
Old 08-02-19, 09:36 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I’ve read an aero frame in reality gives you like a 1% advantage because the body negates most of that aero advantage. Aero wheels however give a bigger advantage...and of course body position and getting in the drops.
Old 08-02-19, 10:01 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
I’ve read an aero frame in reality gives you like a 1% advantage because the body negates most of that aero advantage. Aero wheels however give a bigger advantage...and of course body position and getting in the drops.
The best bang for the buck, a skin suit
Old 08-02-19, 10:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Which one is going to make you want to ride more?
Old 08-02-19, 10:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'm reminded of an old Greek turtle.
Mobile version of this site needs a like button.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-02-19, 10:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

I read that aliens built the pyramids.

But they probably had fake Stravas.
Old 08-02-19, 11:23 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Wheels, frame, helmet, clothes each give about the same advantage comparing best to worst. https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/nerd...s-made-simple/
Likes For asgelle:
Old 08-02-19, 11:23 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
aero and more aero
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-02-19, 12:45 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Part of the diminishing returns at very high speeds has to do with the amount of energy required to go even a small amount faster. Their is a point where aero does not creat a big enough advantage to overcome the wattage required.
I was told that aero trumps weight at speeds down to about 12 miles an hour. That is why you see riders climbing with aero wheels, especially in the professional ranks.
You have to keep two very important things in mind whenever you're looking at what the pros are riding.

1) They're sponsored to ride certain brands (not super applicable in this case) whether they're best or not, and sometimes they'll take what they actually want to ride and make it look like something from the brand they're sponsored by.

2) They have a UCI minimum weight limit that is trivially easy to hit with high dollar frames and components, so they can either add literal weights to the bottom bracket area, or they can ride deep wheels that get them some aero advantage on the climbs and a significant advantage on the descents and flats.
Old 08-02-19, 01:29 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I had this debate, ended up getting a lightweight frame and aero wheels (Emonda ALR disc frameset + Aeolus 5 wheelset). The wheels make a hell of a lot more difference than the frame.
Old 08-02-19, 01:30 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
The wheels make a hell of a lot more difference than the frame.
Listen to the podcast linked on Post 39.
Old 08-02-19, 04:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

What's special about 18 mph? Do you feel any difference in a 10 mph headwind versus a 10 mph tailwind?
Old 08-02-19, 04:37 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
You're not wrong.
Well, yeah, he is. And so are you. Twice.
Old 08-02-19, 05:06 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

My "Aero" Bianchi Oltre XR4 is 15.0-lbs with pedals, and bottle cages. In all fairness the brake calipers are lightweight Cane Creek EE brakes and saddle is raw carbon.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 08-02-19, 05:46 PM
sour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a '15 Ridley Helium SL and a '19 Madone SLR both bought as frame sets and built with SRAM red22. Besides the proprietary parts, the only difference is shallow aluminum wheels vs 50mm carbon wheels on the two bikes. It is very hard for me to tell a difference between the two bikes except when I put them on a scale or lift them into the car. The Madone does feel like it goes downhill faster, but that is probably a placebo...

My advice, buy the bike that will make you want to ride it.
Likes For sour:
Old 08-02-19, 06:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
What's special about 18 mph? Do you feel any difference in a 10 mph headwind versus a 10 mph tailwind?
The comment was "up over 17-18 mph or so". Nothing special, it's what I recall from the early days of aero bar use when triathletes were starting to use the clip-on variations on standard road bikes as an attempt to gain some free speed without investing in a dedicated TT bike. It seemed common experiences were the faster you tried to go, the more you fought the wind and that speed area seemed to be the point were a clip-on was going to be advantageous, below that not so much. Much has changed in the ensuing 25 years to modify this "theory".
Old 08-02-19, 10:45 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Mobile version of this site needs a like button.
I tick a 'view desktop version' box on my phone's browser, and just zoom into the left panel on the index page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.